YouTube discussion

SoFloTVClassics

On 7/3/2021 at 7:09 AM, compubit said:

I have no idea who made the call on closing my account.  Vimeo hasn't responded to my request - granted it was using the "Help" form on their page.  Their page says "Email Us", yet they don't provide an email address.  Most of their contact is accessible when logged in - and I can't log in...

I'm pissed - 4 years worth of work spent uploading stuff is all gone... 

I'm just going to focus on the internet archive - and only stuff over 10 years old (I'll keep collecting current stuff, as that 10 year window keeps moving forward...  At this point, if folks download content, so be it.  I just want to share all that I have captured and collected over the years.  I guarantee, like you said @VHSgoodiesWA, I doubt the local stations have any of this content in their archives - it takes a lot of space and time to manage, and with cost cutting measures everyone seems to be putting in place, a lot of the history is moot to them...

Well you also take donations at the moment, I know a station that had kept their news archives (KSBW Action News 8). But unfortunately they're unable to grant me access. We all know you're on Internet Archive now and you're starting over.

Edited by JosephH1998
Additional information

I’m uploading as much as I can in my spare time.  So far I have 90 newscasts uploaded, mostly 88-92 timeframe and am now working on the 93-95 window.  My goal is to have 200 uploaded by Labor Day.  I just missed posting a couple of “30 Years Ago Today” newscasts on the actual day (Doh!).  After about 95, I’ll have to start digitizing from tape until about 1999, where I have quite a few digitized already…

• Like 2

11 hours ago, compubit said:

I’m uploading as much as I can in my spare time.  So far I have 90 newscasts uploaded, mostly 88-92 timeframe and am now working on the 93-95 window.  My goal is to have 200 uploaded by Labor Day.  I just missed posting a couple of “30 Years Ago Today” newscasts on the actual day (Doh!).  After about 95, I’ll have to start digitizing from tape until about 1999, where I have quite a few digitized already…

So sorry you got booted off Vimeo, but I'm glad to see you've restarted on the Internet Archive. Hope you have better luck there, and I wish you all the best with getting the rest of your content uploaded there. Thanks for posting everything.

I'll share the link to your page here:

https://archive.org/details/@compubit

Welp, today is the final day before YouTube privatizes all unlisted videos from before 2017 for "security reasons" or something like that.

https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/update-youtube-unlisted-links/

Ugh...I really wish this didn't happen, but I mean, this is YouTube we're talking about, and as we all know, they're not the best at archiving stuff in recent years. None of us know which channels opted out of this update that will impact who sees these videos, but whatever videos you find are unlisted and from before 2017, I recommend you save them and put the original uploader's name somewhere in the file name so if you reupload them, you can credit them for originally posting the video that will become private by YouTube shenanigans

Edited by ChocoMingo

On 7/19/2021 at 9:56 PM, compubit said:

But please tell me compubit, which videos were you in the process of uploading when your Vimeo account was suspended?

Edited by JosephH1998
Minor change

10 hours ago, JosephH1998 said:

But please tell me compubit, which videos were you in the process of uploading when your Vimeo account was suspended?

I was working on 2000-2003 newscasts - and was finishing up posting the late 90s I had already converted and uploaded.  

the good news is that I don’t have to convert the files - the archive will ingest native MPEG-2 files, so I’m just uploading directly.  But I’m also consolidating things onto a new storage device on my network (and renaming them, so there’s consistency and easier searchability on my part…). Stuff is spread across multiple hard drives as it is right now…

i hope to post more this weekend, after my work project settles down…

My focus in uploading is working forward from oldest to newest, but keeping everything older than 10 years old…

Jim

Edited by compubit

1 hour ago, compubit said:

I was working on 2000-2003 newscasts - and was finishing up posting the late 90s I had already converted and uploaded.  

the good news is that I don’t have to convert the files - the archive will ingest native MPEG-2 files, so I’m just uploading directly.  But I’m also consolidating things onto a new storage device on my network (and renaming them, so there’s consistency and easier searchability on my part…). Stuff is spread across multiple hard drives as it is right now…

My focus in uploading is working forward from oldest to newest, but keeping everything older than 10 years old…

Jim

You still going to upload of montages of news opens, bumpers and closes?

Roma Torre former News 12 Long Island and NY1 anchor and daughter of legendary KDKA anchor/reporter Marie Torre took down her YouTube channel. No reason known (Altice copyright striking?) but her channel had tons of airchecks from News 12 Long Island from the late 80s and early 90s! Clips never seen again until her channel. Definitely childhood nostalgia for me as my mom and dad were obsessed with News 12 when I was growing up before we moved to Florida when I was 9.

Edited by jerseyfla
  • Sad 2

On 8/1/2021 at 9:27 PM, jerseyfla said:

Roma Torre former News 12 Long Island and NY1 anchor and daughter of legendary KDKA anchor/reporter Marie Torre took down her YouTube channel. No reason known (Altice copyright striking?) but her channel had tons of airchecks from News 12 Long Island from the late 80s and early 90s! Clips never seen again until her channel. Definitely childhood nostalgia for me as my mom and dad were obsessed with News 12 when I was growing up before we moved to Florida when I was 9.

That's too bad. I wonder if that was the channel that also had the stuff from WQEX-TV in Pittsburgh, PA on it, including a recording from their Black & White days, as well as all 3 of the humorous signoffs that they had. Do you remember what the name of the channel was?

Edited by Route66Fan

5 hours ago, Route66Fan said:

That's too bad. I wonder if that was the channel that also had the stuff from WQEX-TV in Pittsburgh, PA on it, including a recording from their Black & White days, as well as all 3 of the humorous signoffs that they had. Do you remember what the name of the channel was?

Check youtube channel "The Media Stash"...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 8:45 PM, compubit said:

Jim

Compubit, as you stated in one of your comments. Your original plan was to upload 200 videos by Labor Day (Monday, September 6th) which is almost nearing around the corner.

Edited by JosephH1998
Minor addition

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/6/2021 at 5:21 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

Not the case with Sony. Everything from the earliest seasons of Trebek's Jeopardy to Chuck Woolery's slightly forgotten Wheel of Fortune to even the polarizing Patrick Wayne Tic Tac Dough version. It seems like most people go to either Dailymotion or the Internet Archive to put Sony content. 

So basically, no matter how old or new it is, if it's Sony-owned, it's blocked on YouTube?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dman748 said:

Does anyone know what happened to btm0815mas YouTube channel? I noticed that his videos of the CBS, ABC, NBC and PBS newscasts had disappeared.

Apparently btm0815ma's channel has been suspended. I saw a video from some other user urging YT to reinstate the channel.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dman748 said:

Does anyone know what happened to btm0815ma's YouTube channel? I noticed that his videos of the CBS, ABC, NBC and PBS newscasts had disappeared.

This isn't the first time he's been suspended. He was suspended quite a few years ago as well, and he might have had another account suspended as well. I assume it's copyright related, although I don't know who filed the strikes.

3 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

This isn't the first time he's been suspended. He was suspended quite a few years ago as well, and he might have had another account suspended as well. I assume it's copyright related, although I don't know who filed the strikes.

My guess it's probably ABC but I'm not 100% sure who filed the strikes against him

1 hour ago, dman748 said:

My guess it's probably ABC but I'm not 100% sure who filed the strikes against him

Well, Disney's the one company that lobbies to extend copyright law, and ABC has filed strikes on people who've uploaded classic soaps in the past, even though they aired just once. With streaming in full swing, I wonder if they'll ever release those seasons, even if it's a lot of episodes. If it's a newscast that aired that once that was the result of the account being banned, that's petty on their part.

• Like 1