My problem with suing is that the copyright people will nearly always win. Better just to either hope the appeal goes through and I get two of the three channels back...

OR I fold completely, go to internet Archive and for the next 6-8 months rapidly upload everything I have minus anything 'questionable'.

Of course the latter option means a massive loss in views and reactions compared to YouTube. Some of my videos got over 50,000 views, and 100s of likes. Plus most of the public would likely use YouTube vs. the Internet Archive for classic TV footage. YouTube is 'THE video-sharing site' and has been for many years.

I wish I could go back to my YT accounts and find a way to tell my subscribers what happened...but I'm sure a lot of them know already. The problem is how many will be able to transition their clicks from YT to I-A.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've split a bunch of material out of the Classic Video Thread to keep it for videos.

I've not had anything pulled so far...  But I've been with them for years, back when they were trying to be an alternative to YouTube.  Now that their focus has changed to industry professionals - I'm

Here's a friendly reminder to my fellow YouTube posters.   Just. Post. News.   Now, as we saw with the Sloan account, sometimes newscasts and even opens get flagged, but they're st

Posted Images

13 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

My problem with suing is that the copyright people will nearly always win. Better just to either hope the appeal goes through and I get two of the three channels back...

OR I fold completely, go to internet Archive and for the next 6-8 months rapidly upload everything I have minus anything 'questionable'.

Of course the latter option means a massive loss in views and reactions compared to YouTube. Some of my videos got over 50,000 views, and 100s of likes. Plus most of the public would likely use YouTube vs. the Internet Archive for classic TV footage. YouTube is 'THE video-sharing site' and has been for many years.

I wish I could go back to my YT accounts and find a way to tell my subscribers what happened...but I'm sure a lot of them know already. The problem is how many will be able to transition their clicks from YT to I-A.

If I had a YouTube channel, I would never sue any of these big media companies as they already have lots of lawyers anyway.

Still hoping that they will reverse their decision.

I'm not sure if these companies are so protective of their copyright because of lost money or the same old corporate greed that's always existed. 

2 hours ago, Route66Fan said:

Has anybody had problems with Vimeo?

1 hour ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I don't use it, but I've heard they're just as bad and strict with enforcing copyright as YouTube is.

I think it's important to point out Vimeo is designed for film & video industry professionals, filmmakers, etc. to showcase their work/portfolios. it wouldn't surprise me at all if they pulled such content from their platform.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ntropolis said:

I think it's important to point out Vimeo is designed for film & video industry professionals, filmmakers, etc. to showcase their work/portfolios. it wouldn't surprise me at all if they pulled such content from their platform.

I agree with that. it's like the LinkedIn of video sites. 

17 minutes ago, Ntropolis said:

I've not had anything pulled so far...  But I've been with them for years, back when they were trying to be an alternative to YouTube.  Now that their focus has changed to industry professionals - I'm thinking they're looking for certain types of material, and so far, my content hasn't raised any flags.  It's also very easy to fly under the radar, if you're not promoting things (I have video linking turned off, etc.).

That being said, I also have everything I've uploaded saved in multiple places, so if necessary, it can be positioned elsewhere if needed.  

Finally, at some point, I'd like to donate the content to a university or library system that will manage it and make it available to the masses.

Jim

• Like 5

That is what I will do, Jim. I am really hoping in the near-future to archive everything and donate my collection to the Yakima Valley Museum, and possibly break ground on an exhibit highlighting Yakima TV history.

I'm up to nearly 200 re-uploaded videos on Internet Archive, and nearly a week in...no reply from YouTube/Google regarding the appeal for VHSgoodiesWA3 and VHSgoodiesWA4. They had 1 strike and 0 strikes respectfully. Taken down unfairly and at a major cost to my hobby, time, and to my 1000s of subscribers. I had just reached 10K on 'VHSgoodiesWA3' a few days prior.

BTW, this is what I wrote to them...I still have it. I hope this is enough for them to reverse the takedowns of channels 3 and 4:

"I realize that my VHSgoodies account was suspended for copyright infringement. However, I have strived to do the best I can on the other two accounts. The VHSgoodiesWA3 account has only one strike and the VHSgoodiesWA4 account has never had a copyright strike in over a year. Classic television collecting is my hobby. I have been doing this for over six years and I have had all types of positive feedback from the people around me. I have even made friends because of this hobby. I have had people from my hometown of Yakima, who worked at various television stations, reply to me thanking me for posting videos from their station. I am here to preserve classic television, commercials, and nostalgia that it provides to so many, and there are dozens of other YouTubers who have done the same.

Please reinstate my accounts, and I promise things will work out in the end. I love this hobby and would do everything to keep it going for the next generation to come."

• Like 1

I had my share of copyright infringment over the years, but this feels different. So, I had to remove a few videos from my secondary YouTube page in order to keep it running.

• Like 1