YouTube discussion

SoFloTVClassics

That wasn't a copyright strike more than it was a Community Guidelines violation. When my channels were still up, I got a strike here and there for community guidelines...and it was always about "spam". Always had them overturned and restored. Some a------ must have flagged his videos so he would be terminated.

Likewise, the AVTB account where I am reposting many of my videos got a copyright strike last week from another YouTuber for a video of commercials from a block of 1986 cartoons. His reason? "You stole my video." The YouTuber was not verified, and he too was posting blocks of Saturday morning cartoons, but he was posting the whole cartoons w/ commercials. Keep in mind, '80s nostalgia-type guy, not a voice actor, not a producer, never worked for DIC. My commercials were from the same program, but different station...and he carefully edited out any local breaks on his videos. We have emailed him to try and get this retracted, but he refuses to answer us.

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

That wasn't a copyright strike more than it was a Community Guidelines violation. When my channels were still up, I got a strike here and there for community guidelines...and it was always about "spam". Always had them overturned and restored. Some a------ must have flagged his videos so he would be terminated.

Likewise, the AVTB account where I am reposting many of my videos got a copyright strike last week from another YouTuber for a video of commercials from a block of 1986 cartoons. His reason? "You stole my video." The YouTuber was not verified, and he too was posting blocks of Saturday morning cartoons, but he was posting the whole cartoons w/ commercials. Keep in mind, '80s nostalgia-type guy, not a voice actor, not a producer, never worked for DIC. My commercials were from the same program, but different station...and he carefully edited out any local breaks on his videos. We have emailed him to try and get this retracted, but he refuses to answer us.

How stupid. This is why everyone should watermark their videos. I was completely against it for the longest time but it's looking more and more appealing especially as I have come across channels stealing/reposting captures with no credit. 

If the guy doesn't respond by a certain period (two weeks I think), YouTube automatically retracts the claim. Fingers crossed because this is definitely bogus!

The claim cannot be retracted unless he does it himself, I'm afraid. So we'll be stuck with one strike until August or so. He filed a DMCA violation and YouTube granted it.

There's his channel right here. The full episodes of shows like Gimme a Break and the cartoons will bite him in the @$$ one of these days...

https://www.youtube.com/c/MoneMedia/videos

I am really surprised this user is uploading ENTIRE Saturday Morning blocks without the video getting blocked or taken down for copyright. I think I saw some of his videos on YouTube recommendations before.

EDIT: Never mind. Those Fox Box videos i was wondering about were uploaded by a different user. But still, I am surprised about this.

Edited by Jakob
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 4:55 PM, dman748 said:

I'll chime in here since I'm one of the game show content uploaders here in this forum.

I've seen other YouTubers that have uploaded Sony content and here's the thing about Sony:

Sony is definitely relaxed if you were to say upload things like say the ending credits, intros things like that you can probably get away with saying the name of the game show without any issues and they for the most part never had any issues with uploading smaller type stuff, they did block them occaisionally but most of the time they blocked the more recent stuff.

When it comes to uploading full episodes of Sony game shows mentioning the name of the show in the title and/or description is the quickest way of getting your channel terminated, by the same token doing things like what Sam Mitchell does with his "Mitchell Game Show Theater" and the late David Downs (R.I.P) did with "Fan Favorites" you'll notice the majority of them are all Sony stuff and overall what I've noticed is that if you were to occaisionally upload full episodes of Sony stuff, odds are you'd be fine, however uploading too many Sony Game Show episodes is asking for the channel to be taken down, in fact I might make an effort to at least make 1 or 2 uploads of Sony shows on my own channel and that would be it because I certainly don't want mine to be terminated for the things I just mentioned above.

My YouTube channel got suspended just for posting clips of Wheel of Fortune, sometimes with edits such as onscreen text or arrows to point out an editing error or the like. Even my gameplay of the WOF Xbox One video game got blocked by Sony. Granted, I did post multiple full episodes without putting the full show title in the info, but they got caught anyway.

One WOF fan has been screen recording every episode of the 2020-21 season off various Locast feeds and has been posting them on YouTube unlisted and without the show name (or "wheel" or "wof") in the info or tags. They used to be public without incident, but the episode that aired Election Day (which many fans were flocking to because of most markets pre-empting it) got blocked, so they are now all unlisted, but all 185 episodes of Season 38 to date are readily available if you know where to go.

20 hours ago, WheelWarrior said:

My YouTube channel got suspended just for posting clips of Wheel of Fortune, sometimes with edits such as onscreen text or arrows to point out an editing error or the like. Even my gameplay of the WOF Xbox One video game got blocked by Sony. Granted, I did post multiple full episodes without putting the full show title in the info, but they got caught anyway.

One WOF fan has been screen recording every episode of the 2020-21 season off various Locast feeds and has been posting them on YouTube unlisted and without the show name (or "wheel" or "wof") in the info or tags. They used to be public without incident, but the episode that aired Election Day (which many fans were flocking to because of most markets pre-empting it) got blocked, so they are now all unlisted, but all 185 episodes of Season 38 to date are readily available if you know where to go.

Yeah Christian Dixie is the one who usually uploads all of that day/night's Wheel episodes. Opus used to upload that day/night's Jeopardy episodes but Sony of course got ahold of it and took the channel down.

Spam and scams, and YouTube is tight-lipped saying 'No appeal for you! Remain terminated!"

Do you see why VHS collectors are moving to Internet Archive (or elsewhere)? 

I searched, just for fun, 'fortnite 2021'. There's someone streaming and playing the newest Fortnite update and within 8 hours of upload it has 2,000,000 views. 

Yet the guys in the background who want nothing to do with video games, only to preserve television history for those generations who either grew up with those newscasts or for those whose parents grew up with those newscasts (but they didn't), get yanked off the interwebs.

Ugh. Rant over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Spam and scams, and YouTube is tight-lipped saying 'No appeal for you! Remain terminated!"

Do you see why VHS collectors are moving to Internet Archive (or elsewhere)? 

I searched, just for fun, 'fortnite 2021'. There's someone streaming and playing the newest Fortnite update and within 8 hours of upload it has 2,000,000 views. 

Yet the guys in the background who want nothing to do with video games, only to preserve television history for those generations who either grew up with those newscasts or for those whose parents grew up with those newscasts (but they didn't), get yanked off the interwebs.

Ugh. Rant over.

YouTube cares about money. The more higher the interest, the better they care, So many users are getting demonetized over small things as well. Soon all that will be left will be gaming, cat videos, rant videos, sports highlights,  viral news/opinion clips, and interviews.

YouTube never encouraged uploading copyrighted material in the first place, but if you ask me, people were going to find a way to upload rare television broadcasts/commercials. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've reached out to Vimeo with no response - I've not received any notices (and I checked my email history going back years).   The account is just gone...

To me, it's one thing if this was something that could be monetized, but these are historic newscasts - which I pretty much guarantee most of the stations no longer have in their archives.  It's like blocking history from folks.  I could understand if the content were able to be viewed elsewhere (e.g., game shows, cartoons, etc.), but local news is local history that you probably can't get anywhere else.

I challenge you to find a (for example) KCBD newscast from February 1994 in any library or even at KCBD itself...

I'm pissed as I was given no warning, nor remedy.

I guess I need to find a library or something to donate them to, so that they're available for research in the future.  I have thousands recorded, and now do I keep cataloging them or just give up?

Jim

And do I keep recording them into the future???

Heck - most of the copyright holders of the original content aren't even in existence anymore...

27 minutes ago, compubit said:

I've reached out to Vimeo with no response - I've not received any notices (and I checked my email history going back years).   The account is just gone...

To me, it's one thing if this was something that could be monetized, but these are historic newscasts - which I pretty much guarantee most of the stations no longer have in their archives.  It's like blocking history from folks.  I could understand if the content were able to be viewed elsewhere (e.g., game shows, cartoons, etc.), but local news is local history that you probably can't get anywhere else.

I challenge you to find a (for example) KCBD newscast from February 1994 in any library or even at KCBD itself...

I guess I need to find a library or something to donate them to, so that they're available for research in the future.  I have thousands recorded, and now do I keep cataloging them or just give up?

Jim

Heck - most of the copyright holders of the original content aren't even in existence anymore...

I've been backing up through archive.org. It seems to be the only real alternative to YouTube these days.

2 hours ago, compubit said:

Jim

Jim, I have the answer for the one question on where to find a new home... archive.org

18 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Seems like compubit's newscasts have been yanked from Vimeo. He had hundreds of them up there....

Yikes 😞

Aw man. I just watched some of his videos a couple days ago and there just gone now.

17 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Jim, I have the answer for the one question on where to find a new home... archive.org

I guess I'm restarting there...  My biggest complaint is that newscasts appear to get broken into 1 minute chunks... (and my experience has also been that it's not seamless between segments...)

Jim

16 minutes ago, compubit said:

I guess I'm restarting there...  My biggest complaint is that newscasts appear to get broken into 1 minute chunks... (and my experience has also been that it's not seamless between segments...)

Jim

That's only on the TV News Archive. Community Video runs like YT/Vimeo.

Once I get enough videos uploaded, I'll request a channel.  Also, I have to convert the MPEG4 .ts files to MPEG4 .mp4 files...  (That I can batch process...)

Once they're there, though, I guess there's no protecting them from being downloaded (not that folks didn't find a way to download or capture stuff already...)

A quick scan of one hard drive has over 1900 files (which basically equate to newscasts, and doesn’t include things on other drives).  So it may take a while, since each one has to be uploaded individually…

Jim

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, compubit said:

Once I get enough videos uploaded, I'll request a channel.  Also, I have to convert the MPEG4 .ts files to MPEG4 .mp4 files...  (That I can batch process...)

Once they're there, though, I guess there's no protecting them from being downloaded (not that folks didn't find a way to download or capture stuff already...)

There's always an option of not sharing the ones that you value of the most in your collections online if you don't want people to download stuff off of the sites.

Jim, which station pulled down your account? Was it KCBD, or another station? This pi$$es me off just like when I lost my channels. Except you didn't have game shows or talk shows up there...just newscasts, and you weren't on YouTube because of their copyright claims, yet Vimeo also gives you the boot.

What gives?

Oh and BTW, as I've said before, KIMA does not have a film/tape archive anymore and hasn't for years. And it's very likely that KNDO and KAPP didn't keep their archives when the studios closed 10 years back and they moved to Tri-Cities. Other small towns likely have the same problem, so it's not like we can go to a station and request a newscast from 26 years ago that featured a family friend competing for state championship HS football. That's why I hit estate sales and will continue to until the tape lots dry out.

I have no idea who made the call on closing my account.  Vimeo hasn't responded to my request - granted it was using the "Help" form on their page.  Their page says "Email Us", yet they don't provide an email address.  Most of their contact is accessible when logged in - and I can't log in...

I'm pissed - 4 years worth of work spent uploading stuff is all gone... 

I'm just going to focus on the internet archive - and only stuff over 10 years old (I'll keep collecting current stuff, as that 10 year window keeps moving forward...  At this point, if folks download content, so be it.  I just want to share all that I have captured and collected over the years.  I guarantee, like you said @VHSgoodiesWA, I doubt the local stations have any of this content in their archives - it takes a lot of space and time to manage, and with cost cutting measures everyone seems to be putting in place, a lot of the history is moot to them...

• Like 1