YouTube discussion

SoFloTVClassics

9 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

It's not always the case, but usually the bigger the company is, the more protective they are  of their IP. ViacomCBS is the biggest one, though I'm not sure if it's changed since the merger. WB, Sony, Disney, and FOX are very strict. NBCUniversal is slightly more laidback, although do block/takedown on occasion, sometimes on older stuff. Fremantle is pretty laid back as well, and only block if they actually release the material someplace.

If you're talking about non-news or non-network content, then this is absolutely true. My channels only focus on local news properties and local broadcasters, TV and radio, as a whole. The only company I've had issues with is ViacomCBS. The funny thing is that they're extremely inconsistent with how they enforce copyright with their O&Os. I'm sure you know there was a channel/friend of mine they removed last year just for having CBS News content on affiliate newscasts. Which is why I usually trim or black out their stuff in my videos now. But have not had issues posting content from stations owned by Disney, Fox, or NBCUniversal, including newscasts from their affiliates which have their packages in it. 

I did have a strike from ABC News over a decade ago as well for their World News Now open, so that is why I explicitly avoid network content now. Besides, there's like 10 different channels who all post network news opens and stuff, so that market is well-served.

Of course if you upload game shows, soap operas, and movies, you're going to have a strike. I avoid that stuff for that reason and my channels have never had the intention of posting anything that's not: news opens/newscasts, IDs, EAS tests, promos, infomercial disclaimers, and anything along those lines. I've also spun commercials off onto its own channel for that reason.

I've had a few copyright BLOCKS before, and that's fine, as they don't affect the channel. I can just trim the infringing material out and reupload. I want to avoid things that adversely impact the channel (strikes). 

Were the KESQ and WMC takedowns more of their parent company's thing?

No, it was definitely at the local level, as I had uploaded things from other Raycom and NPG stations without issue. Remember, this was at a time (2007-2009), when stations were still leery of YouTube stealing their audience and things like that. Not to mention, copyright strikes did not "expire" like they do now.

I do remember the WMC claim having a misspelling ("WMC-TB Action News 5") so I wanted to challenge it, but I was also 12 at the time, and didn't want to challenge anything legally.

If it happened today I would likely file a counterclaim because the material I post is protected under "fair use".

I lot of the users in the "Vintage TV Community" don't do it for money, they just do it to archive material that hasn't been released anywhere.

That's one way to look at it. For me, (I mainly archive present-day stuff but am slowly branching off into "vintage" stuff), it's about preserving history for the day that linear TV and radio (inevitably) disappear.

When I had uploaded a partial 1993 newscast from KTVO-TV, Ch. 3, Kirksville, MO\Ottumwa, IA to YouTube last year, I was contacted by somebody that now works as a news director there, who was looking for old news clips to compile into a reel & thanked me for uploading what I had of the newscast. They also said that while the TV station does have some of their old newscasts archived on U-Matic & DVC Pro tapes, they no longer have the equipment needed to play them. I was also contacted by another person who, at the time I think, worked as a producer there as well & thanked me for uploading the partial newscast. These people contacted me through the videos comments section.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sanewsguy said:

If you're talking about non-news or non-network content, then this is absolutely true. My channels only focus on local news properties and local broadcasters, TV and radio, as a whole. The only company I've had issues with is ViacomCBS. The funny thing is that they're extremely inconsistent with how they enforce copyright with their O&Os. I'm sure you know there was a channel/friend of mine they removed last year just for having CBS News content on affiliate newscasts. Which is why I usually trim or black out their stuff in my videos now. But have not had issues posting content from stations owned by Disney, Fox, or NBCUniversal, including newscasts from their affiliates which have their packages in it. 

I did have a strike from ABC News over a decade ago as well for their World News Now open, so that is why I explicitly avoid network content now. Besides, there's like 10 different channels who all post network news opens and stuff, so that market is well-served.

Of course if you upload game shows, soap operas, and movies, you're going to have a strike. I avoid that stuff for that reason and my channels have never had the intention of posting anything that's not: news opens/newscasts, IDs, EAS tests, promos, infomercial disclaimers, and anything along those lines. I've also spun commercials off onto its own channel for that reason.

I've had a few copyright BLOCKS before, and that's fine, as they don't affect the channel. I can just trim the infringing material out and reupload. I want to avoid things that adversely impact the channel (strikes). 

No, it was definitely at the local level, as I had uploaded things from other Raycom and NPG stations without issue. Remember, this was at a time (2007-2009), when stations were still leery of YouTube stealing their audience and things like that. Not to mention, copyright strikes did not "expire" like they do now.

I do remember the WMC claim having a misspelling ("WMC-TB Action News 5") so I wanted to challenge it, but I was also 12 at the time, and didn't want to challenge anything legally.

If it happened today I would likely file a counterclaim because the material I post is protected under "fair use".

That's one way to look at it. For me, (I mainly archive present-day stuff but am slowly branching off into "vintage" stuff), it's about preserving history for the day that linear TV and radio (inevitably) disappear.

Like I said, ViacomCBS is the most extreme example film and TV wise. Many years ago, during their fight with YouTube, they wanted to turn over IP addresses who watched their material unauthorized. 

Just a newscast open should qualify as fair use, but fair use has to be 30 seconds or less I believe.

Some game shows are allowed, others will lead to strikes. Any of Sony's or WB's game shows will result in strikes, although someone said a few years ago Sony's not always consistent. NBC targeted episodes of the original Weakest Link back in 2018, even though at the time those episodes didn't air in reruns since around 2005.

I don't have a YouTube channel, but I'd have commercials on one channel and actual shows on the other. Most commercials aren't targeted. VHSGoodiesWA had at least 2 strikes on his channel, one for a Cancer Treatment Centers of America ad for 2001, and a 2001 break taken down simply because one of Don Henley's songs played in it. (Henley's known to be aggressive with copyright takedowns). If it's 30 seconds or less, I'd file a counterclaim for fair use. The law states that owners must consider fair use before issuing any takedowns. Too often, this never happens though.

I think any material that hasn't been released in many years should be public domain quicker, say 15 years if the material isn't released. Won't happen as long as Disney has lobbying power.  

• Like 1

Fremantle also recently took a lot of Drew Carry Price is Right episodes off YouTube a couple months ago. Most notably the more recent ones from like 2012 to now. They didn't take down the earlier Drew Carry episodes or the Bob Barker ones (they did block some episodes from 1982 and 1983, but that's most likely because of Pluto TV.)

Oh, and Let's Make a Deal too.

Edited by Jakob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Some game shows are allowed, others will lead to strikes. Any of Sony's or WB's game shows will result in strikes, although someone said a few years ago Sony's not always consistent.

I'll chime in here since I'm one of the game show content uploaders here in this forum.

I've seen other YouTubers that have uploaded Sony content and here's the thing about Sony:

Sony is definitely relaxed if you were to say upload things like say the ending credits, intros things like that you can probably get away with saying the name of the game show without any issues and they for the most part never had any issues with uploading smaller type stuff, they did block them occaisionally but most of the time they blocked the more recent stuff.

When it comes to uploading full episodes of Sony game shows mentioning the name of the show in the title and/or description is the quickest way of getting your channel terminated, by the same token doing things like what Sam Mitchell does with his "Mitchell Game Show Theater" and the late David Downs (R.I.P) did with "Fan Favorites" you'll notice the majority of them are all Sony stuff and overall what I've noticed is that if you were to occaisionally upload full episodes of Sony stuff, odds are you'd be fine, however uploading too many Sony Game Show episodes is asking for the channel to be taken down, in fact I might make an effort to at least make 1 or 2 uploads of Sony shows on my own channel and that would be it because I certainly don't want mine to be terminated for the things I just mentioned above.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jakob said:

Fremantle also recently took a lot of Drew Carry Price is Right episodes off YouTube a couple months ago. Most notably the more recent ones from like 2012 to now. They didn't take down the earlier Drew Carry episodes or the Bob Barker ones (they did block some episodes from 1982 and 1983, but that's most likely because of Pluto TV.)

Oh, and Let's Make a Deal too.

Those 1982 episodes are the ones on Pluto.

Didn't know that Fremantle has blocked slightly newer TPIR and LMAD.

• Like 2

Just now, Newsjunkie24 said:

Yeah, those episodes got taken down on YouTube a while back. As i mentioned, those episodes are on Pluto TV so that's why they got taken down.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Yeah any newer material stuff will absolutely without question be blocked. I know my channel viewers prefer more modern stuff but I can't upload modern stuff not because I don't like it or anything like that it's just that I can't take that risk like that.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dman748 said:

I'll chime in here since I'm one of the game show content uploaders here in this forum.

I've seen other YouTubers that have uploaded Sony content and here's the thing about Sony:

Sony is definitely relaxed if you were to say upload things like say the ending credits, intros things like that you can probably get away with saying the name of the game show without any issues and they for the most part never had any issues with uploading smaller type stuff, they did block them occaisionally but most of the time they blocked the more recent stuff.

When it comes to uploading full episodes of Sony game shows mentioning the name of the show in the title and/or description is the quickest way of getting your channel terminated, by the same token doing things like what Sam Mitchell does with his "Mitchell Game Show Theater" and the late David Downs (R.I.P) did with "Fan Favorites" you'll notice the majority of them are all Sony stuff and overall what I've noticed is that if you were to occaisionally upload full episodes of Sony stuff, odds are you'd be fine, however uploading too many Sony Game Show episodes is asking for the channel to be taken down, in fact I might make an effort to at least make 1 or 2 uploads of Sony shows on my own channel and that would be it because I certainly don't want mine to be terminated for the things I just mentioned above.

I'm surprised with the way ContentID works that Sony hasn't picked up on it. You can't even pitch/speed up or mirror the videos without getting blocked.

It was actually David Downs himself that mentioned how Sony is inconsistent.

1 minute ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I'm surprised with the way ContentID works that Sony hasn't picked up on it. You can't even pitch/speed up or mirror the videos without getting blocked.

It was actually David Downs himself that mentioned how Sony is inconsistent.

And you also can't cam record off of your device either (which is strange considering for certain shows that's the only way of doing it without getting the video blocked)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dman748 said:

Yeah any newer material stuff will absolutely without question be blocked. I know my channel viewers prefer more modern stuff but I can't upload modern stuff not because I don't like it or anything like that it's just that I can't take that risk like that.

Not the case with Sony. Everything from the earliest seasons of Trebek's Jeopardy to Chuck Woolery's slightly forgotten Wheel of Fortune to even the polarizing Patrick Wayne Tic Tac Dough version. It seems like most people go to either Dailymotion or the Internet Archive to put Sony content. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Not the case with Sony. Everything from the earliest seasons of Trebek's Jeopardy to Chuck Woolery's slightly forgotten Wheel of Fortune to even the polarizing Patrick Wayne Tic Tac Dough version. It seems like most people go to either Dailymotion or the Internet Archive to put Sony content. 

Yep, even I have put Sony content on the Internet Archive as well.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2021 at 10:27 AM, Newsjunkie24 said:

It's not always the case, but usually the bigger the company is, the more protective they are  of their IP. ViacomCBS is the biggest one, though I'm not sure if it's changed since the merger. WB, Sony, Disney, and FOX are very strict. NBCUniversal is slightly more laidback, although do block/takedown on occasion, sometimes on older stuff. Fremantle is pretty laid back as well, and only block if they actually release the material someplace.

Were the KESQ and WMC takedowns more of their parent company's thing?

Except on a few occasions, I'm glad most local newscasts remain untouched.  

I wish all media companies did this, so they at least get some money out of it, instead outright taking down stuff.

I lot of the users in the "Vintage TV Community" don't do it for money, they just do it to archive material that hasn't been released anywhere.

WB is where my nightmares began. Anything Sony is a no-no of course. Vintage ABC soaps were on YouTube for years and years, and then Disney had time on their hands during the pandemic to take 'em all down. I'm sure the Susan Lucci fans are not happy anymore.

The stupidest copyright strike I ever got was for a commercial...never post anything from Cancer Treatment Centers of America, at least commercials from about 1999 onward. They are known to take down their commercials (and they gave me a strike for a random CTCA commercial on a KMGH break from 2001).

To make it fair on all of us - they need streaming apps for these shows. If they feel so protective of their copyright content, make us pay for a streaming app that has classic Y&R, All My Children and General Hospital. It's not like I can find the complete 1987-88 season of General Hospital on DVD complete with bloopers, you know.

17 hours ago, Route66Fan said:

When I had uploaded a partial 1993 newscast from KTVO-TV, Ch. 3, Kirksville, MO\Ottumwa, IA to YouTube last year, I was contacted by somebody that now works as a news director there, who was looking for old news clips to compile into a reel & thanked me for uploading what I had of the newscast. They also said that while the TV station does have some of their old newscasts archived on U-Matic & DVC Pro tapes, they no longer have the equipment needed to play them. I was also contacted by another person who, at the time I think, worked as a producer there as well & thanked me for uploading the partial newscast. These people contacted me through the videos comments section.

This is why I keep Yakima TV content alive on places like the Internet Archive (and now stored again on YouTube via AVTB). Former viewers have thanked me for posting classic commercials, and I've had people who worked at KIMA and KAPP thank me in the comments for uploading newscasts and sign-offs. Except in KTVO's case, at least they still have some of their archive left. KIMA threw it all out around the time Stu Seibel retired. He told me personally. That alone is why I continue this effort. KAPP and KNDO aren't left out either, because they too were based in Yakima for decades (dueling studios on 24th near the airport), and of course when they vacated for Tri-Cities, nothing was archived either.......

For all I know, I may have the only copy of that NewsBeat at 11 or NewsCenter 23 broadcast, even if partial. 

By the way, the best comment I ever got, and I mentioned this earlier, was Ken Crockett's daughter Lori. She was so thankful that I had posted several KIMA NewsBeat clips with her dad on them. She ended up making a Christmas collage and surprised her dad with a compilation of clips I had found for last Christmas. He loved it because he hadn't seen himself on KIMA in 30 years.

Those comments melt my heart. People still care.

When T.J. Close passed away in 2019, our long-time (30+ years) lead anchor for KIMA, Stu Seibel emailed me and asked me to copy off the Flood of '96 special he hosted for his family members in AZ who had never watched it. I did exactly that, copied the 28-minute program onto an SP-quality DVD, double-checked it, and he personally thanked me for my efforts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

WB is where my nightmares began. Anything Sony is a no-no of course. Vintage ABC soaps were on YouTube for years and years, and then Disney had time on their hands during the pandemic to take 'em all down. I'm sure the Susan Lucci fans are not happy anymore.

The stupidest copyright strike I ever got was for a commercial...never post anything from Cancer Treatment Centers of America, at least commercials from about 1999 onward. They are known to take down their commercials (and they gave me a strike for a random CTCA commercial on a KMGH break from 2001).

To make it fair on all of us - they need streaming apps for these shows. If they feel so protective of their copyright content, make us pay for a streaming app that has classic Y&R, All My Children and General Hospital. It's not like I can find the complete 1987-88 season of General Hospital on DVD complete with bloopers, you know.

I don't get why CTCA would take down commercials, much less anything from 1999-2001. Have they done this to other accounts? I also mentioned the Don Henley song used in a TV promo.

I found out that WB is now putting some of those same shows' episodes that got your accounts terminated.

We're getting better with stuff not shown on TV in years with the advent of streaming, but we still have a long way to go.

Warner Bros. is streaming old Street Smarts episodes? That would be cool to see. Shame Frank Nicotero's show rarely got good timeslots where I lived. One season they were at 11:30PM, but two or three seasons ran at 4 or 5 in the morning. This was in Seattle. It never got cleared in Yakima.

Back in the olden days, Johnny Carson was an absolute no-no on YouTube. Anything and everything got taken down. Not the case anymore. I used to post clips from '80s episodes of The Tonight Show and no one ever touched them. It's a little interesting as the show is still reran on Antenna TV.

5 minutes ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Warner Bros. is streaming old Street Smarts episodes? That would be cool to see. Shame Frank Nicotero's show rarely got good timeslots where I lived. One season they were at 11:30PM, but two or three seasons ran at 4 or 5 in the morning. This was in Seattle. It never got cleared in Yakima.

Back in the olden days, Johnny Carson was an absolute no-no on YouTube. Anything and everything got taken down. Not the case anymore. I used to post clips from '80s episodes of The Tonight Show and no one ever touched them. It's a little interesting as the show is still reran on Antenna TV.

Street Smarts is on YouTube now, and that one dating show that led to your channel takedown is also streaming on YT now.

I'm a bit surprised that Johnny is allowed now. It's not just on Antenna TV, but there's also a 24/7 channel devoted to it on Pluto TV. Their main channel on YT has some rare stuff, like a 1985 Drew Carey stand-up skit. Those Carson episodes have a lot of value.

• Like 2

Good to know re Street Smarts and Change of Heart. 

Jay Leno was also fine (my Headlines clips had tens of thousands of plays and 100+ likes), but very occasionally I did get a block for a segment (like if a celebrity was being interviewed and they aired a 45-second clip from the upcoming movie they were pitching). Conan O'Brien is a whole different story. I had blocks on about three episodes I posted, including an early episode with Sid Caesar. They seem to have left Letterman alone, even his CBS show was fine. The one Later episode I found was OK, but not the "Friday Night" broadcast I found from AFRTS.

Talk shows are often blocked or removed nowadays. Obviously Harpo stuff is a no-no. And for Dr. Phil, even on Archive. That's because of the OWN reruns, I believe. Maury episodes got blocked, Geraldo got blocked, Sally Jessy Raphael was taken down, Regis & Kathie Lee was mixed, and Martha Stewart got taken down because of the streaming channel + Dabl reruns. I also avoid the few Merv Griffin clips I have and only put those on Archive. I've been OK with Rosie O'Donnell (surprising, that's a WB distributed show), Bertice Berry, Donahue, Joan Rivers, and a couple of others.

I think Nosey has some of the later shows, like the 'baby's daddy' Maury and Geraldo, but not of Regis & Kathie Lee or Sally.

12 minutes ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Good to know re Street Smarts and Change of Heart. 

Jay Leno was also fine (my Headlines clips had tens of thousands of plays and 100+ likes), but very occasionally I did get a block for a segment (like if a celebrity was being interviewed and they aired a 45-second clip from the upcoming movie they were pitching). Conan O'Brien is a whole different story. I had blocks on about three episodes I posted, including an early episode with Sid Caesar. They seem to have left Letterman alone, even his CBS show was fine. The one Later episode I found was OK, but not the "Friday Night" broadcast I found from AFRTS.

Talk shows are often blocked or removed nowadays. Obviously Harpo stuff is a no-no. And for Dr. Phil, even on Archive. That's because of the OWN reruns, I believe. Maury episodes got blocked, Geraldo got blocked, Sally Jessy Raphael was taken down, Regis & Kathie Lee was mixed, and Martha Stewart got taken down because of the streaming channel + Dabl reruns. I also avoid the few Merv Griffin clips I have and only put those on Archive. I've been OK with Rosie O'Donnell (surprising, that's a WB distributed show), Bertice Berry, Donahue, Joan Rivers, and a couple of others.

I think Nosey has some of the later shows, like the 'baby's daddy' Maury and Geraldo, but not of Regis & Kathie Lee or Sally.

It seems like of the Dr. Phil episodes airing on OWN, most are from the last few years. The show's own YT channel has put up some of of the more popular older segments.

I believe Nosey used to air Sally, not sure if they still do. Maury, Springer and Wilkos are all on there, as are numerous court shows, like the later Divorce Courts. I prefer the older ones from like 10 years ago.

26 minutes ago, Jakob said:

I think Lionsgate owns the rights to Geraldo since that was the company that blocks videos of the show on YouTube.

Wow; Lionsgate?! 

I've been kind of wondering for a long time who has the rights to the Geraldo show library. I know that Tribune Entertainment (which distributed "Geraldo") shut down sometime in 2007, so I was kind of thinking the library might either belong to Geraldo Rivera himself, another entity, or even Nexstar! 

I'm wondering how Lionsgate ended up with Geraldo, though! 😮

Come to think of it, there are a couple of episodes of Charles Perez's awful '90s talk show on YouTube, and it was distributed by Tribune back then. I wonder if Lionsgate has the rights to it as well, or if there is another entity that has them. Or do the tapes for Perez's show even exist (if Tribune had them destroyed, which is unlikely, I think Charles Perez himself may have a copy of every show he did)??

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, J1975am said:

Wow; Lionsgate?! 

I've been kind of wondering for a long time who has the rights to the Geraldo show library. I know that Tribune Entertainment (which distributed "Geraldo") shut down sometime in 2007, so I was kind of thinking the library might either belong to Geraldo Rivera himself, another entity, or even Nexstar! 

I'm wondering how Lionsgate ended up with Geraldo, though! 😮

Come to think of it, there are a couple of episodes of Charles Perez's awful '90s talk show on YouTube, and it was distributed by Tribune back then. I wonder if Lionsgate has the rights to it as well, or if there is another entity that has them. Or do the tapes for Perez's show even exist (if Tribune had them destroyed, which is unlikely, I think Charles Perez himself may have a copy of every show he did)??

They must have made some deal with Geraldo Rivera or something. But I am not 100% sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I believe Nosey used to air Sally, not sure if they still do.

They still do; Nosey has a channel on PlutoTV and I did catch an episode that was on the channel a couple of days ago. It was from around 1995 or '96 (I think that's the time frame of episodes Nosey has the rights to)......

• Like 1

The Sally clip they pulled off was from July 2000 (but was very likely a rerun from earlier in the 1999-00 season). From then on out they were no-nos on YouTube.

We did not get Charles Perez, Mark Walberg, Ainsley Harriott, along with several other lesser-known talk shows in Yakima. We did get Bertice Berry (on KIMA), Judge for Yourself with Bill Handel ('Handel on the Law' and KFI morning show host, that one aired on KIMA), Les Brown (on KNDO), and Carnie Wilson (also on KNDO). I was able to find part of a Judge for Yourself episode and it never got blocked or taken down.

On 5/6/2021 at 3:26 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

...a 2001 break taken down simply because one of Don Henley's songs played in it. (Henley's known to be aggressive with copyright takedowns) 

Which reminds me of a post of KSTW (then UPN 11) last newscast back in 1998 that was just restored. Poster stated that he had to do a hasty edit on a clip of staff interviews in which henley's son 'Dirty Laundry' was used. Background music replaced it to mute that segment a little bit.

On 5/6/2021 at 6:32 PM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Not entirely true. User MrAssassinsCreed47 has uploaded a slew of classic Oprah + Maury episodes with no problems thus far. I've seen some Sally's episodes up there for a while. what appears to be Rosie O' Donnell's official page has uploaded full clips of interviews from at least the 1st season. Of course the Pannoni channels has those shows you've said were blocked still up there. I'm surprised Donahue shows haven't run into trouble (that I know of)

Side Note: I've purchased a slew of blank tapes from a flea spot at an intersection down below where I live. It may contain more commercials than newscast (few of them may have been taped off HBO/Cinemax depending on title) but when I find a way upload, i'll do. Wish me luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On April 20th, the Canadian archival channel ATV & ASN Memories was given the banhammer on YouTube. The reason given is: "This account has been terminated due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy against spam, deceptive practices, and misleading content or other Terms of Service violations."

Not sure what part of his channel constituted any of that (KLMO-TV Channel 7.4 has been doing this with another YouTube channel) since it was fair use recordings of news content from the 80s, 90s, 2000s and occasionally the present-day. 

He tried to moved his content to the channel "Vintage TV Memories" but has not uploaded in more than a month. 

Surprised nobody had mentioned this previously given the amount of subs he had. Though I just noticed last week.

You can read more on the channel's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/atvasnmemories/