YouTube discussion

SoFloTVClassics

14 minutes ago, bmasters1 said:

What happened? Did the stations embargo their old newscasts?

With the varying amount of posted material, whether local or network news, commercials, or even sports highlights, it's anybody's guess what ultimately got it removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

What happened? Did the stations embargo their old newscasts?

When I posted full newscasts (and even just some clips) on YT years ago, CBS threw a fit regarding KCNC's newscast (even though it wasn't owned by CBS when the newscast was recorded...), and had it pulled.  At that point, I decided to go elsewhere for hosting (where I control the content better...). 

Jim

Edited by compubit
Unmerging...

I made a tweet about Sloan's channel being pulled down and tagged the YT Creators account about it. As someone who also has a archival channel, this deeply worries me. I worry even the algorithm could be going after NewsActive3 next. They terminated Sloan's account without any warning yet still has other archival channels like old commercial channels up. Like, this is absolutely insane and makes me worried what this means for archival content on YouTube, especially since I'm pretty sure almost all of them abide by fair use for historical purposes. It's one of the few things holding me back from uploading stuff, along with various other reasons, even though I really want to get back to the swing of things

While I can't speak for Sloan's case, I've made it clear that I never monetize my channel and that will still be the case. However, I will be making some changes. In my next video, I plan on giving credit to the original video uploader in the top right of my videos for 3-5 seconds & add in custom thumbnails, which I have done in the past in the early days of my channel as shown in the picture below (the new ones will be much better-looking than this). If I can't find who uploaded the video, I'll just put "unknown" as a placeholder & make a note in the description if I or someone knows who it is.

image.png.4cd7f7adb61748746163cbe3911021b6.png

In addition, I'll also be uploading my compilations on the Internet Archive (archive.org) alongside YouTube, so even if YouTube does some shenanigans, the compilations will still be available for people to see & I recommend other archivists do the same.

Edited by ChocoMingo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, ChocoMingo said:

I made a tweet about Sloan's channel being pulled down and tagged the YT Creators account about it. As someone who also has a archival channel, this deeply worries me. I worry even the algorithm could be going after NewsActive3 next. They terminated Sloan's account without any warning yet still has other archival channels like old commercial channels up. Like, this is absolutely insane and makes me worried what this means for archival content on YouTube, especially since I'm pretty sure almost all of them abide by fair use for historical purposes. It's one of the few things holding me back from uploading stuff, along with various other reasons, even though I really want to get back to the swing of things

While I can't speak for Sloan's case, I've made it clear that I never monetize my channel and that will still be the case. However, I will be making some changes. In my next video, I plan on giving credit to the original video uploader in the top right of my videos for 3-5 seconds & add in custom thumbnails, which I have done in the past in the early days of my channel as shown in the picture below (the new ones will be much better-looking than this). If I can't find who uploaded the video, I'll just put "unknown" as a placeholder & make a note in the description if I or someone knows who it is.

image.png.4cd7f7adb61748746163cbe3911021b6.png

In addition, I'll also be uploading my compilations on the Internet Archive (archive.org) alongside YouTube, so even if YouTube does some shenanigans, the compilations will still be available for people to see & I recommend other archivists do the same.

Wow. Very sorry to hear Sloan's channel got taken down. I really enjoyed it, and I hope he can rebuild it. I did manage to grab some of his videos, specifically the WVUE/WWL newscasts he posted and the hour block of Headline News from the day they moved to CNN Center in 1987. What happened to Sloan and other collectors is why I'm no longer uploading anything to YouTube. I'll add more New Orleans stuff to my archive.org page soon, along with some other materials I haven't yet ripped.

Edited by Chris Hadley
  • Like 1

Pisses me off to no end. I loved Sloan's channel, and I too am worried that NewsActive3's channel might be taken down. I love old school newscasts, promos, theme music, as the next homie. I especially saw some of Denver's content from 1992 (KUSA, KCNC and KWGN). I'll start cussing up a storm if something happens to old school TV news content on YouTube. Moreover, seeing these promos and newscasts again brings back memories, even for me as a kid in the 80s loving newscasts.

• Like 3

I'm seeing more and more people upload rare stuff to Archive.

What amount money are these companies losing over newscasts that aired once? Even worse since Sloan said the one strike was over a commercial. 

I'm sure he could reupload all his videos to the Internet Archive as I'm sure he' still has everything he's ever uploaded.

I'm not sure if NewsActive3 is on other video sites. Maybe he should start looking elsewhere.  

• Like 1

And yet another youtuber is gone, i don't know his youtube channel name, but he's mostly remember for uploading, Anaheim angels baseball games, world series games, the oj simpson Chase from different los angeles stations, the earthquake coverage ( loma prieta and Northridge) and the wildfires. I'm telling you. Just when you think you're in the mood to watch something good, then *snaps fingers* it's gone.

8 minutes ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

And yet another youtuber is gone, i don't know his youtube channel name, but he's mostly remember for uploading, Anaheim angels baseball games, world series games, the oj simpson Chase from different los angeles stations, the earthquake coverage ( loma prieta and Northridge) and the wildfires. I'm telling you. Just when you think you're in the mood to watch something good, then *snaps fingers* it's gone.

If YouTube found a way to get rid of all copyrighted material at once, you'd be down to pretty much junk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

Well that's just bleeping great! I wondered why I had so many deleted videos on my favorites outside of Sloan's videos. I favorited many of his videos especially for KNBC coverage of the Dodgers 1988 World Series run and I think this guy also had the first hour of coverage of the 1989 World Series Loma Prieta Earthquake uninterrupted as it happened with the network quickly filling time with a Roseanne rerun from ABC as he said he was auto recording that WS game when he was at a college class. This is a damn shame! I need to save more videos!

Edit: Yep that was him. Arghh!!!

Edited by jerseyfla