Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

New KSTP Logo/Graphics


Recommended Posts

The "Groovy 5" got a makeover yet again. The red box is back for the 5 which is interesting because after years of 4, 5, and 9, and 11 all using blue as their primary color, finally someone broke the mold in Minneapolis. Also, it makes all of Hubbard's MN stations (KSTP/WDIO/KAAL) using red and white as their primary colors if that indicates anything

 

Don't have screenshots of the broadcast yet, but L3's remain the same, now just white with black font instead of blue/white. I'll try to get screenshots tonight.

KSTP.com 5 Eyewitness News

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

The "Groovy 5" got a makeover yet again. The red box is back for the 5 which is interesting because after years of 4, 5, and 9, and 11 all using blue as their primary color, finally someone broke the mold in Minneapolis. Also, it makes all of Hubbard's MN stations (KSTP/WDIO/KAAL) using red and white as their primary colors if that indicates anything

 

Don't have screenshots of the broadcast yet, but L3's remain the same, now just white with black font instead of blue/white. I'll try to get screenshots tonight.

KSTP.com 5 Eyewitness News

 

Looks like the title on KSTP EWN now brings back a lot of memories-- the KSTP logo was that way in the 80s, IIRC (albeit w/o the ABC logo beside it).

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

The "Groovy 5" got a makeover yet again. The red box is back for the 5 which is interesting because after years of 4, 5, and 9, and 11 all using blue as their primary color, finally someone broke the mold in Minneapolis. Also, it makes all of Hubbard's MN stations (KSTP/WDIO/KAAL) using red and white as their primary colors if that indicates anything

 

Don't have screenshots of the broadcast yet, but L3's remain the same, now just white with black font instead of blue/white. I'll try to get screenshots tonight.

KSTP.com 5 Eyewitness News

 

The graphics are cheeeeeap.

 

They could have hired Ruth Dial again.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

 

The graphics are cheeeeeap.

 

They could have hired Ruth Dial again.

 

Name a more iconic duo than Hubbard and cheap lazy graphics

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atlnews2 said:

 

Name a more iconic duo than Hubbard and cheap lazy graphics

 

Sinclair and sanitized corporatism? Who am I kidding?! That's TEGNA, Scripps and Nexstar too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The weird frame rates in the video clips of the skyline (opens, backgrounds, weather graphics) make me think this was an attempt to build out all the opens/stings/etc in the CG system (most likely Vizrt) instead of animating them in software like After Effects and playing them out as video clips. This could lead to an explanation as to why the the motion design is somewhat basic and rudimentary if they don't have a good handle on designing in Viz.

 

Hearst did this in 2012 with their redesign and it worked fairly well since it had no video, but they also had a pretty strong Viz design team. I think this is what Gray does as well and is why their 3D graphics have such poor lighting and texturing. 

 

Edit: I should say... the stings at Hearst were all done in Viz, the show opens and talent bumps were all video clips rendered in After Effects.

Edited by noggi
clarifying point on Hearst
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

Also sounds like they scaled back the instrumentation of Icon V3 a bit - PM open and vamp doesn't sound nearly as orchestral.

 

It sounds like all of the new stuff WCPM has been putting out. The instrumentation is repetitive and simple. It's an easy paycheck. I don't think they're much in the game of composing much news music, but licensing what they already have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The logo update is decent, I guess. The 3D version in the intro is already dated. The 2D version would look good for an app icon. The new graphics package though, while just being a flat version of the previous, is a downgrade in my eyes.

 

On the logo again, it reminds me very heavily of their 2004-2014 logo.

Kstp_minneapolis.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2021 at 7:36 AM, noggi said:

The weird frame rates in the video clips of the skyline (opens, backgrounds, weather graphics) make me think this was an attempt to build out all the opens/stings/etc in the CG system (most likely Vizrt) instead of animating them in software like After Effects and playing them out as video clips. This could lead to an explanation as to why the the motion design is somewhat basic and rudimentary if they don't have a good handle on designing in Viz.

 

Hearst did this in 2012 with their redesign and it worked fairly well since it had no video, but they also had a pretty strong Viz design team. I think this is what Gray does as well and is why their 3D graphics have such poor lighting and texturing. 

 

Edit: I should say... the stings at Hearst were all done in Viz, the show opens and talent bumps were all video clips rendered in After Effects.

 

You'll have to confirm, but I've heard from CSDs that bump map texturing aren't things that can be added into Viz CG. I mean, I've not see any textured Viz CG on Scripps, Gray or Hearst graphics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.