KTVU Michael Randall on TVPMM

sfomspphl

All the early 2000s cuts are up there from when he expanded the package  -I think this is the first complete Randall package available.

1 minute of the original 1987 close and a late 90s tweak of the 87 open are also in there.

Now can someone submit the mid 80s KNBC package..

I guess I should edit my post to say all the late 90s cuts are up there...forgot that funky bed and cold open and most of the package up there debuted around '97. 

Geeking out took a look back and when it launched in the late 80s they used nothing for the preshow, and the beginning of the dead roll for the in-show bumpers and news brief cutins. Basically a 2 or 3 cut news package plus some jazzy cuts for non news promos.

Sometime in the early 90s they stopped using that bright dead roll signature for the news briefs / bumpers, and replaced with some somber cuts not in this set

1 hour ago, sfomspphl said:

I guess I should edit my post to say all the late 90s cuts are up there...forgot that funky bed and cold open and most of the package up there debuted around '97. 

Geeking out took a look back and when it launched in the late 80s they used nothing for the preshow, and the beginning of the dead roll for the in-show bumpers and news brief cutins. Basically a 2 or 3 cut news package plus some jazzy cuts for non news promos.

It's also interesting to look back and see how much music variety there was for the other shows that weren't the Ten, from when they used completely different themes from other composers to eventually having some different sounding cuts from Randall later on. I guess that's perhaps an indication of how the station viewed each newscast as a program separate from one another (something which still continues there to some degree today.) MO2 was a pretty unique idea and concept for the time, but many people maligned it internally as diluting the hard news KTVU brand and that it was pulling resources away from the Ten.

Yeah forgot how ring fenced the Ten was...guess the resource fear was the driver. You can see how hard they tried to make the Noon show not directly news and not competing for viewers for years until  giving in. Then finally years later getting a weekday 6pm broadcast going. 

Archived