KGMB/KHNL finally getting a New Set!

CircleSeven

For the first time since its formation in 2009, Hawaii News Now is getting a brand new set.

In fact about it, prior to its launch, this set was moved from KGMB's former (& now demolished) building to KHNL's facility.

They started demolishing the old set over the weekend.

9RN3JVc.png

iMcgoUz.png

xYDJzIU.png

Ii5M8w4.png

JwrBBQz.png

The temp set was set up at an old conference room.

zvf4GgP.png

ikAA1uW.png

BhD99Ev.png

Cgaor52.png

It's likely because of the bright colors in the duratrans backdrops + newsroom views behind frosted glass, which are both fairly timeless looks, but that set aged remarkably well compared to others of the same era.

18 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

They’re likely next to get Gray’d.

Oh definitely. The CSD there used to be the CSD at KDVR|KWGN. He doesn't have an ounce of creativity in his body (stealing concepts from others and micromanaging his staff). So it's guaranteed to be a rehash of another set. Also, how much do we want to bet that they will be using the WMC package? I give 9:1 odds.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, TheRobSka said:

They gave a sneak preview of the set on their newscast.

it's going to debut on Tuesday, April 27, 2021. 

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/04/23/watch-hnn-debut-set-redesign-that-reflects-islands-transforms-on-air-presentation/

From what they showed in that video, the new set looks fantastic.

And to those of you thinking the graphics will be Gray'd, they won't be. Looks like they're still on the old last-gen Raycom graphics.

I still laugh at how dramatic stations are about unveiling some new digs. "This will revolutionize how we give you the news." "This thing represents a surfboard." "Our on air look didn't match the quality of our on air product." Those are made up paraphrases of course, but you get the point. The new studio does look very nice.

On 4/25/2021 at 2:52 PM, JosiahCubed said:

From what they showed in that video, the new set looks fantastic.

And to those of you thinking the graphics will be Gray'd, they won't be. Looks like they're still on the old last-gen Raycom graphics.

Chances are they threw the old graphics in the monitors for rehearsal -- I noticed a lot of the old weather graphics.

But, those are relatively easy to switch out. 

Gray is switching all of the old Raycom stations to Overdrive, and VizRT. 

The LIM 4.1 graphics are not designed to run on Viz.

That's exact reason WAVE in Louisville dumped their in-house look for a Gray package.

As for automation, I'm sure you noticed the robotic cameras in the video.

WBAY-TV 2, the ABC affiliate out of Green Bay, Wisconsin, eighty-sixed their Media General-style set and graphics for a Gray Television-style news set and graphics. They also ditched the "Eyewitness News" music package by Gari Media in favor of "Guardian" by Stephen Arnold Music. At least they kept the current version of the Circle 2 logo, used since 1987, when they were still affiliated with CBS. Ever since WBAY-TV 2 affiliated with ABC after losing their long-time CBS affiliation to rival WFRV-TV 5 in 1992, WBAY-TV 2 has since placed the ABC dot logo next to the Circle 2 logo in promotional materials and station IDs, much like how ABC's owned and operated stations place the ABC dot logo next to the Circle 7 logos of WABC-TV 7, KABC-TV 7 and KGO-TV 7.

8 hours ago, who?cares said:

Chances are they threw the old graphics in the monitors for rehearsal -- I noticed a lot of the old weather graphics.

But, those are relatively easy to switch out. 

Gray is switching all of the old Raycom stations to Overdrive, and VizRT. 

The LIM 4.1 graphics are not designed to run on Viz.

That's exact reason WAVE in Louisville dumped their in-house look for a Gray package.

As for automation, I'm sure you noticed the robotic cameras in the video.

I did notice the robotic cameras.

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 4:49 PM, TheRobSka said:

I hope they get a better Graphics package than what Gray provides, those are just cheap.

Gray uses VizRT. Viz has no bump map applications. So textures are not something available. They are quick and dirty. Gray doesn't see value in Creative Services.

Decent Devlin set. Reminds me of Hearst.

18 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Gray uses VizRT. Viz has no bump map applications. So textures are not something available. They are quick and dirty. Gray doesn't see value in Creative Services.

Decent Devlin set. Reminds me of Hearst.

VizRT graphics can look great... if they're implemented right (see the Hearst stations). And Viz 4.0 can handle a lot more than the old versions could. Gray's lead artists may need to go back to Viz University.

5 hours ago, qunewsguy said:

VizRT graphics can look great... if they're implemented right (see the Hearst stations). And Viz 4.0 can handle a lot more than the old versions could. Gray's lead artists may need to go back to Viz University.

Feel free to tell Gregory Miller yourself. I'm not poking that bear.

Archived