WXXV new set

NWA_TV_guy

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Looks like they will finally be getting an (gasp) ACTUAL SET?

While they're at it, hopefully they get the newer Morris graphics too.  They are the VERY last station in the group with the old look and virtual set.

All seems to be happening...

https://www.wxxv25.com/2021/03/12/news-25-will-debut-new-set-march-22nd/

25 minutes ago, NWA_TV_guy said:

Here’s a promo that includes the new set and graphics:

Not bad for Morris, however whst this thing with only Sunday weekend newscast and no Saturday newscast I don't like that, for weekend WWAY it's ABC/CBS sister station in Wilmington, NC does the same. Why!!! Morris???

8 hours ago, Gavin said:

Not bad for Morris, however whst this thing with only Sunday weekend newscast and no Saturday newscast I don't like that, for weekend WWAY it's ABC/CBS sister station in Wilmington, NC does the same. Why!!! Morris???

They're a primary FOX on .1 (since their inception) and picked up NBC on their .2 in 2012.  Still, they do the 5pm on Fox and a 5:30 on NBC (pushing NN to 6).

The set seems underwhelming compared to some of their other markets.  Hopefully the graphics are an improvement.  It would look nice using the orange in place of the red if they are getting the newer Morris graphics package.

Still, this is definitely a starter station.  Many of their talent is fresh out of school, and some move over a market to Mobile/Pensacola or New Orleans after a year.   There is probably still some resentment that this station kicked off WVUE and WDSU from cable in many parts of the market when they added NBC (and WLOX added CBS....kicking off WWL and WKRG).

Here's another promo with a better view of the set...first thoughts that it's better than WLOX has, but has some plainness to it...

It is MUCH better, but their first mistake was not knocking down those cubicles in the corner and allowing for things to look less crowded.  I'm sure space might be at a premium, but those cubes don't look like they're used by a whole bunch of people.  Those high walled workstations could've been replaced with lower walled ones and incorporated into the set somehow as a working newsroom.... if that's what those cubes are used for.

5 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The set seems underwhelming compared to some of their other markets.  Hopefully the graphics are an improvement.  It would look nice using the orange in place of the red if they are getting the newer Morris graphics package.

Still, this is definitely a starter station.  Many of their talent is fresh out of school, and some move over a market to Mobile/Pensacola or New Orleans after a year.   There is probably still some resentment that this station kicked off WVUE and WDSU from cable in many parts of the market when they added NBC (and WLOX added CBS....kicking off WWL and WKRG).

Still doesn't answer my question as to why there no Saturday news, in addition to Sunday news on the weekend. There a small market as you, so I like the set for them. Ofc it isn't good but it fits there market needs just like the crappy set at sister-station WWAY. Now if it were in a top 30-market yes I hate it and really hate it but this market so small I can even tell what place it's in the ranking, just as much as most of the TV personalities are fresh out of college.

5 hours ago, Gavin said:

Still doesn't answer my question as to why there no Saturday news, in addition to Sunday news on the weekend. There a small market as you, so I like the set for them. Ofc it isn't good but it fits there market needs just like the crappy set at sister-station WWAY. Now if it were in a top 30-market yes I hate it and really hate it but this market so small I can even tell what place it's in the ranking, just as much as most of the TV personalities are fresh out of college.

It's a Morris thing (Except for WTVQ, I'm guessing). WMGT here in Macon has a stereo store infomercial on Saturday Nights at 11pm. But their Sunday newscast is just a recorded recap of the week's stories. I'm guessing from the promo that WXXV's Sunday newscasts are live. When I left the Biloxi area 7 years ago, WXXV's news department was just 2 years old and I think only had a few newscasts across the two channels. 

11 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I haven't followed the Biloxi market in a while but WDSU got kicked off cable there?!! Wow! They used to have a separate local feed for cable there with a sales office near the Gulfport airport. I remember in 2010 before WLOX and WXXV launched their subchannels, the satellite companies launched local channels for Biloxi/Gulfport. Originally, Directv was going to have Mobile's WKRG and WPMI used for CBS and NBC (I don't know if the following was really true) as they are geographically closer to Biloxi by 30 miles but WDSU threw a fit as they felt they owned territorial rights to NBC in Biloxi due to their Gulfport sales office, so Directv budged and changed to the NOLA stations before launch. I know many older South Mississippians love their WLOX but they also loved WWL and WDSU as the area almost feels like the weekend resort area to New Orleans, just like the Jersey Shore is to Philly. 

The Biloxi/Gulfport area used to have almost every NOLA and Mobile station on cable (sans WEAR) until Fox started mandating that cable companies only carry the designated affiliate which forced Cable One (Sparklight) to cut WALA and WVUE, then WGNO went away for WLOX-CBS, and I guess WLOX asked WKRG to go away a few years ago. Surprisingly, WWL is still on the SD channel lineup.

Yep, no more WDSU on the Jackson or Harrison County Sparklight (CableOne) systems. 

WWL is still available in Harrison County but not in Jackson County.  The Zap2it listings are out of date, they show that WDSU was available all the way to Ocean Springs, and that WPMI was available in Pascagoula. 

Since Hancock County is part of the New Orleans DMA, they get all of the New Orleans channels, in addition to WLOX's feeds.  However with WXXV, they only carry the CW .3 feed and not the FOX or NBC ones, despite being less than 20 miles from the station!

12 hours ago, RCA TK47 said:

It is MUCH better, but their first mistake was not knocking down those cubicles in the corner and allowing for things to look less crowded.  I'm sure space might be at a premium, but those cubes don't look like they're used by a whole bunch of people.  Those high walled workstations could've been replaced with lower walled ones and incorporated into the set somehow as a working newsroom.... if that's what those cubes are used for.

The cubicle are not the problem for me. It is all of that fake looking wood and weird duratrans. It's straight up 2000's.

Watching the 5pm now.  The graphics are totally unique from the rest of the Morris stations, and overall, look much better than they had before (and even look better than what WLOX currently has!)

Set is ok...some of the shot framing is a little wide, and the lighting (or camera shading) needs to be toned down just a bit, it's very hot.

2 minutes ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

This has to be the dumbest promo I've ever seen!  Why do they say the times in such a weird order????

They could be a bit clearer, but the first set of times are the traditional slots on their NBC feed, while the others are on the Fox side.

In actuality, the NBC feed is the .2, and the FOX feed is .1 on WXXV's channel.  Fox was the original affiliation, and NBC was added in 2012.   So it does seem weird if they are prioritizing NBC over FOX given their channel alignment on the station.  

Even weirder is that the 5pm news is on FOX, NBC does a 5:30 show bumping Nightly News to 6, while WLOX 13.1 (ABC) does news and 13.2 (CBS) shows Jeopardy!  The reverse happens at 6:30 with Wheel on ABC and a 6:30 news on CBS.  

Archived