The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

42 minutes ago, JosiahCubed said:

You guys really don't want NewsNation to succeed, do you?

Like, I get the ratings on TV aren't great, but look at the YouTube views (and potentially the recordings people may have made on Hulu or YouTube TV); not to mention how many hits the app and website have.

I actually really enjoy NewsNation. The social media views have definitely gone up recently too. I record all NewsNation news programming to watch later on YouTube TV, personally. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe someone can help me here but I fail to understand these broad doomsday statements. Saying that "NewsNation has lost a majority of its staff" is simply not true. There are about 150 people on sta

I am so mad. I don’t understand why you have a network named NewsNation which brags about the newsrooms you have across the country and be showing syndicated programming during one of the worst storms

I hate to say it, but you know who is the one free agent that would save this channel?   Lou Dobbs.

Posted Images

As far as I can see, everyone is bashing NewsNation. Even with the scandals and chaos going around the station, there should be definitely a room for NewsNation for many reasons. First of all, they are quickly finding an audience thru new media outlets and MVPD services, and they are slowly picking up new deals with both traditional and MVPD providers. Second, there is space for a right-leaning news outlet to compensate for the direction Fox News and Newsmax have taken. Maybe you've got executives which have some kind of relationship with a former President, but, as far as I can see, there is not Fox-like rhetoric, and, if they finally make the programming and content right, NewsNation can easily target the more traditional conservative audiences by making their news-based pundit programming as a selling point to disaffected viewers. Finally, they have a larger network of resources (the Nexstar local stations, WGN Radio, The Hill, BestReviews) that they can boost the network's audiences, and make additional programming with an infotainment focus. Live PD could also be a fit for their weekend primetime hours, as one of you suggested, as their direction into true crime-based specials with the Missing in America franchise (which should be spun-off as a weekly show) can also attract viewers. They also need to use more their wasted staff, like Rich McHugh, which could do a semi-regular, long-form investigative series.

The thing is using the Nexstar stations as their only external source is not going to be easy enough to attract an audience, they should use the rest of their national brands and resources to make additional programming. The other problem is that their transitional Blue Bloods/news/opinion schedule is making both audiences and advertisers to go away from the network. They should go all-news/opinion/infotainment as fast as they need to build an audience.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

You guys really don't want NewsNation to succeed, do you?

Like, I get the ratings on TV aren't great, but look at the YouTube views (and potentially the recordings people may have made on Hulu or YouTube TV); not to mention how many hits the app and website have.

Ok, let’s take a look at the YouTube views. I see a couple with views in the thousands, but many are under 1,000 views, some don’t even have 500. 

EDIT: I even flipped it to Most Popular and the numbers aren’t that exciting. Only one with over a million views, four  over 500K. 

I don’t know what any potential recording numbers might be. Does anyone release Live +7 numbers for NN? How much of their content is worth saving or binging?

I also don’t know their app/website activity. 

If you do, please feel free to share what you have.

It’s not that I don’t want NN to succeed, but they’re not exactly doing anything particularly exciting or different, so what’s the point of it? Did the world need yet another talking head channel?

Edited by mightynine

I don’t want NewsNation to fail either. In fact, a year ago I pointed out that people were calling for NN to shut down, but nobody was calling for Newsy to shudder even though their cable numbers were lower. Just because I make a joke about their crummy set doesn’t mean I’m bashing them. I actually think the idea behind Abrams’ show is great: a host that respects people with other opinions, instead of calling them stupid.

The problem is that isn’t NewsNation’s original mission: to bring a straight news program on cable. Instead it’s now the same type of content people already get elsewhere, just less rabid. 

Another problem is that their primary medium is cable TV. My parents cancelled their cable, and I'm not paying $60/month for Youtube TV or Hulu Live, just for the channel to get pulled during an inevitable Nexstar retrans fight. Cable TV is a declining business. Why do you think Newsy is prioritizing streaming and over-the-air? It's good they post a bunch of their stuff on Youtube to make it more accessible, but unfortunately their cable channel is coming first, which isn't great for growth.

As for their website, SimilarWeb, a website analytics company, says NewsNation's site gets over 1 million total visits a month. Some of Nexstar's stronger stations, like KHON, WHNT, and WREG, get around 2 million. However, those stations have been around for decades, and NN is only one year old, so that million is nothing to scoff at. 

• Like 4

I'm really not liking that they now have their ticker in primetime. Morning I can understand; primetime is a white flag saying they could cover these other scrolling stories in detail, but they won't because they need to get Dog's tacky "Where in the World is Brian Launderie?" search more airtime (and that he's kept in touch with Nexstar despite his WGNA show being cancelled).

Effective this weekend that just ended, the weekend edition of NewsNation Prime has been shifted an hour later from 7pm ET-9pm ET to 8pm ET-10pm ET.

Also, although the intro still displays Gerard Jebaily's name, the weather is indeed being delivered by Albert Ramon, presumably at least for however long Gerard's gig on the morning show lasts.

Either this arrangement becomes permanent after some amount of time, or we'll see some sort of staffing changes if and when a permanent morning weather person is hired and if they indeed choose to not bring back weather on the weeknights at all.

Edited by Spring Rubber

I freaking knew it. The way that the network discontinued weeknight weather segments and dumped him off to the weekends was surely NOT what Albert signed up for a year ago. The minute they gave the weekday morning position to Gerard and not Albert, I figured Albert would not be long for NewsNation. The only thing that surprised me was that it came so soon, after only working one weekend (this past weekend). Hopefully this means he was able to secure another job somewhere. Best of luck to him, and hopefully the next place that hires him actually lets him stay in the position for which he was hired for more than one year.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 9:03 AM, Spring Rubber said:

I freaking knew it. The way that the network discontinued weeknight weather segments and dumped him off to the weekends was surely NOT what Albert signed up for a year ago. The minute they gave the weekday morning position to Gerard and not Albert, I figured Albert would not be long for NewsNation. The only thing that surprised me was that it came so soon, after only working one weekend (this past weekend). Hopefully this means he was able to secure another job somewhere. Best of luck to him, and hopefully the next place that hires him actually lets him stay in the position for which he was hired for more than one year.

Albert has now jumped over to CBS 2 Chicago

3C82DA42-F451-44E9-A04A-03A15F707412.png