The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

12 hours ago, 24994J said:

Not great, not terrible. Reminds me of WPIX, in the L3 text weight & proportions. The waving flag next to the live bug is silly, but feels on-brand, in a hilarious way. The logo in the bug is way too big. The time rotates with the stock numbers. It is "cleaner," if uninspired.

image.thumb.png.2610f27beeb93d83f0e46bbfb43a6b2d.png

I like the clean portrait effect on national outlet reporter standups. But if the entire point is to be live in front of something, it defeats the purpose to have the background be blurry. 

Edited by MediaZone4K

13 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Perry's Flag Corner screams post-9/11 Fox News Channel

I thought the same thing with the flag when I first noticed it last week. Definitely reminds me of how everyone quickly incorporated flags into their graphics. (Not just Fox News: CNN had it in their lower-thirds, and MSNBC eventually rebranded as "America's News Channel" with the peacock as a flag instead of the usual colors.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In a press release, Michael Corn, President of News at NewsNation, said, “NewsNation’s mission is to provide fair and unbiased news coverage, and that’s the way we will approach this important debate. We take this responsibility very seriously and are proud to help inform and educate voters and to contribute to the democratic process.”

Dude gonna really sit there with a straight face and say “fair and unbiased coverage” with Megyn Kelly as a moderator.

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, mightynine said:

In a press release, Michael Corn, President of News at NewsNation, said, “NewsNation’s mission is to provide fair and unbiased news coverage, and that’s the way we will approach this important debate. We take this responsibility very seriously and are proud to help inform and educate voters and to contribute to the democratic process.”

Dude gonna really sit there with a straight face and say “fair and unbiased coverage” with Megyn Kelly as a moderator.

Same statement Perry was making with “Balance, Not Bias” when they launched yet subliminal leanings were made in night one 😂

The entire network subsists on FUD, especially on crime, which is incredibly over-covered even compared to FNC. It's balanced towards the local news side that can't stop mainlining bleed-leading journalism even as viewers have long tired of overcoverage of news they absolutely cannot use (Alex Murdaugh, accidents on roads they'll never see in their lives, and UFOs).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Less than 15 minutes into the GOP Debate on NewsNation/The CW... A couple audio issues that for a small market Sinclair station, it would just be Wednesday night, but really make this national debate minor league. Mics not adjusted before going live, a moderator coughing and clearing their throat while a candidate is giving their remarks... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Less than 15 minutes into the GOP Debate on NewsNation/The CW... A couple audio issues that for a small market Sinclair station, it would just be Wednesday night, but really make this national debate minor league. Mics not adjusted before going live, a moderator coughing and clearing their throat while a candidate is giving their remarks... 

They also failed to include a simple audible 90 second time, or it isn't picked up by the mics (which is another flop on its own).

35 minutes ago, HSV cheesehead said:

They also failed to include a simple audible 90 second time, or it isn't picked up by the mics (which is another flop on its own).

Not sure if there is a timer tone, but when they show the full moderator desks, you can see the "stoplight" timers at the bottom corners of the desks.

Graphics wise... Smart move putting the "NewsNation" logo right in the middle... The L3 will likely be cut out on the cable/morning news shows, but will be prominently featured in the TikTok/Reels clips.

• Thought-Provoking 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:28 PM, GodfreyGR said:

Graphics wise... Smart move putting the "NewsNation" logo right in the middle... The L3 will likely be cut out on the cable/morning news shows, but will be prominently featured in the TikTok/Reels clips.

I thought the centered logo looked silly, but this logic actually makes some sense to me so maybe NewsNation thought it through more than I originally gave them credit for.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I thought the centered logo looked silly, but this logic actually makes some sense to me so maybe NewsNation thought it through more than I originally gave them credit for.

Considering the debate's other iffy sponsors...they lucked out big time in getting their logo as visible as it was since the Free Beacon and Rumble were its main sponsors and them, along with Megyn's SXM show, only got bookend mentions. Could have been a lot worse for them.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Changes coming.

- MiA expands to weekends with Hena Doba, airing from 7-10am ET starting January 27.

Starting Jan. 27:

- Elizabeth Vargas Reports and The Hill are switching timeslots. Vargas airs at 5pm ET and Hill at 6pm ET.

Weekday MiA is losing an hour, now airing from 6-9am ET, with Markie Martin solo-anchoring. Adrienne Bankert is moving to a special projects role. NN Live with Marni Hughes will air from 9am-noon ET, and NN Now with Nichole Berlie gains an hour, airing from noon-3pm ET.

On 1/11/2024 at 10:18 AM, Georgie56 said:

Changes coming.

- MiA expands to weekends with Hena Doba, airing from 7-10am ET starting January 27.

Starting Jan. 27:

- Elizabeth Vargas Reports and The Hill are switching timeslots. Vargas airs at 5pm ET and Hill at 6pm ET.

Weekday MiA is losing an hour, now airing from 6-9am ET, with Markie Martin solo-anchoring. Adrienne Bankert is moving to a special projects role. NN Live with Marni Hughes will air from 9am-noon ET, and NN Now with Nichole Berlie gains an hour, airing from noon-3pm ET.

I didn't realize that Blake Burman took over as moderator of The Hill on Sept. 5th last year. At first I was thinking this move was going to have an impact on Leland's ability to host the show, but here it turns out he's been gone from the show for a while.

As for weekday Morning in America, man that show just keeps going through so many changes. I guess ending at 9am ET brings them in line with a typical cable news morning show schedule. Weird seeing them shift back to a solo-host format. I figured that they were going to keep two anchors as multiple anchors are pretty standard for mornings.

• Like 3

They should go for big names for Morning in America because right now it really lives up to its abbreviation of MIA. I know it will never happen but Amy Robach & TJ Holmes are free outside of their podcast. It would be in the ratings at least for a short period. Elizabeth Vargas & Chris Cuomo could make appearances and be like the old GMA of the mid 2000's to 2020. 

The Hill Sunday, a new public affairs program similar to the shows on its cable competitors and on the Big 4 Networks, will be hosted by its political editor Chris Stirewalt and launch on March 31 at 10am.

https://deadline.com/2024/01/newsnation-sunday-public-affairs-chris-stirewalt-1235796126/

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:03 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Let me guess, WGN 720 will be rebranded and called something like WANN for We Are [News Nation] or something equally useless.

A call sign change (which won't happen to begin with) won't change the fact they're stuck with a standalone AM they can't sell, with demos older than dirt.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rusty Muck said:

A call sign change (which won't happen to begin with) won't change the fact they're stuck with a standalone AM they can't sell, with demos older than dirt.

Have we known Nexstar to make smart decisions: i.e. NewsNation? No.

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Have we known Nexstar to make smart decisions: i.e. NewsNation? No.

Except there is zero to be gained by blowing up their lone radio station. Simple as that.

5 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

What was to be gained by blowing up WGNAmerica?

WGN America had a near-national reach but was run as a low-rent ION with expensive, lengthy syndicated contracts of mostly copuganda shows and a second-tier Tim Allen sitcom (as their inability to rid themselves of Blue Bloods clearly shows). It was incompatible with the rest of the Nexstar portfolio and needed to be blown up.

NewsNation is also turning a pretty good profit.