The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

Dan Abrams I can do without, thank you very much. I don't need that "Us vs. The World" narrative on my screens anymore, especially after applying it to, of all things, a somber moment from three days ago that literally everyone but NewsNation was covering.

I do feel sorry for Marni Hughes, though. (This, by the way, is coming from someone who's watched the channel exactly three times ever since NewsNation started out; twice in the first two days of its life, and once three days ago.)

Edited by DJonNews
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

I'm surprised that the Live PD revival ended up on Reelz instead of NewsNation given that Abrams is on NN.

I can only assume Nexstar execs wanted no part of it. Especially considering that A&E is taking legal action against Reelz for "copying" Live PD, I'm assuming that played a role into Nexstar taking a pass on the show.

• Sad 1

Sounds like A&E was looking to revive Live PD before Reelz launched the new show.

As for NewsNation, I read that Elizabeth Vargas is filling-in for a week on the channel, but I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up with a regular gig on the network.

• Sad 1

Well, it took them long enough, but NewsNation is indeed airing the state funeral of Queen Elizabeth II like the other news outlets instead of doing what they always do when it comes to huge breaking news (miss it habitually, which I honestly was expecting them to do since it's been made clear up until now that they couldn't do anything right).

• Like 2

Personally, I don't really consider a Trump rally worthy of breaking news or live coverage, in my opinion, since my consensus of Donald Trump as president is... well... to put it nicely, the opposite of thumbs up.

Back on topic, NewsNation has a group of former Fox News people at the helm, including Bill Shine. Of course they're going to go to live coverage of a Trump rally! It's not that surprising. And of course, the Trump rally is within news programming. Would they be doing that if it wasn't? Yes. Any other news besides "You-know-who's Cavalcade of You-know-whats" that actually do warrant live coverage outside of their news hours? Not a chance.

Edited by DJonNews
  • Like 5

It appears that NN is about to lean more right.  If that is the case, then they should not promote themselves as "unbiased."  They had dropped the ball a lot when it came to breaking news coverage (even Newsmax and Fox News covered Queen Elizabeth's death), but only choosing what to cover and what not to makes them a joke.

(BTW, they probably get more ratings with Blue Bloods reruns than any of the newscasts)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DJonNews said:

Well, it took them long enough, but NewsNation is indeed airing the state funeral of Queen Elizabeth II like the other news outlets instead of doing what they always do when it comes to huge breaking news (miss it habitually, which I honestly was expecting them to do since it's been made clear up until now that they couldn't do anything right).

They probably had to give the Campmeeting guy and Joseph Prince make-goods though; I wouldn't be shocked if they got higher ratings at 5am than the primetime lineup does on a dead news day.

But hiring scandal-plagued anchors and covering non-newsworthy stories looks really bad when you have a station afflicted by multiple issues/scandals already as-is end up like this last night:

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Cuomo" premieres tonight at 8pm Eastern on NewsNation.

And big news (that we missed, because we thought NewsNation would carry on as if nothing happened): NewsNation preempted all of its programming just under a week ago to devote coverage to Hurricane Ian. https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/article/newsnation-preempts-programming-to-devote-full-day-coverage-to-hurricane-ian/

We could have covered it sooner, but because this is NewsNation we're talking about (the network that habitually neglects important news that happens outside of their news programming hours)...

Edited by DJonNews

The fact that now I have heard about NewsNation (actually) preempting regular programming for Hurricane coverage shows how little the channel has been impacting viewership.  I wonder how the ratings were for that day.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

I wonder how the ratings were for that day.

https://www.mediaite.com/daily-ratings/cable-news-ratings-wednesday-september-28-cnn-jumps-into-second-place-fox-news-dominates-ratings-during-hurricane-ian/

Lower than their Blue Bloods reruns and behind Newsmax in every time slot. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

As expected... dead last among all the competition in the demo. And for added paltriness, here's how it looks like in the demo...

• "Eric Bolling: The Balance" on Newsmax - 16,000 viewers in the 25-54 demo
  • "CUOMO" on NewsNation - 8,000 viewers in the 25-54 demo

...and when it comes to total viewership:

• "Eric Bolling: The Balance" on Newsmax - 151,000 total viewers
  • "CUOMO" on NewsNation - 147,000 total viewers

"The Balance" outranked the "CUOMO" premiere in the demo, and it outranked the "CUOMO" premiere in overall viewership.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyella/2022/10/04/chris-cuomos-return-to-prime-time-lands-in-last-place-at-8pm/?sh=2f5d85a03d95

Not a good start so far for Cuomo on NewsNation. Then again, what do you expect? It is NewsNation, after all.

Edited by DJonNews
  • Haha 2

And even worse...2,000 people 25-54 sipped their coffee in front of the TV as they witnessed the start of another "Morning in America." Adrienne Bankert ought to be ashamed of herself. Even Bozo in full costume would get 10,000 more AM viewers.

Consider this: that's 40 people in a single state watching this program!!

• Haha 2