The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

5 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

Does anyone actually watch?  Any update on ratings?

Ratings don't matter when you're profitable. Look at the entire suite of cable networks owned by Paramount Global; they all still exist because they command profits with no budgets and no effort given into programming.

Which is just as well. Nielsen clamped down on the scraping of data that Mediaite used to do to get cable TV ratings, thus you don't hear much about ratings in general nowadays.

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Rusty Muck said:

WGN America had a near-national reach but was run as a low-rent ION with expensive, lengthy syndicated contracts of mostly copuganda shows and a second-tier Tim Allen sitcom (as their inability to rid themselves of Blue Bloods clearly shows). It was incompatible with the rest of the Nexstar portfolio and needed to be blown up.

NewsNation is also turning a pretty good profit.

Where do you see that NewsNation is turning a good profit?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Where do you see that NewsNation is turning a good profit?

Nexstar execs claim it's profitable, but offer no specifics. I don't see anything in their last quarterly report.

From last year:

Nexstar executives have said that NewsNation is already profitable (in addition to carriage fees, the company sells ad packages alongside its local TV stations and The CW, which it acquired last year).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/newsnation-expands-new-york-chris-cuomo-elizabeth-vargas-1235401963/

Between the lines: Despite the ratings battle, the network has been profitable since it launched in 2020, a spokesperson confirmed to Axios. NewsNation is currently hiring for well over 100 positions nationwide. Some of the money it was using to pay to distribute the entertainment content that's now being replaced by news will go toward expanding NewsNation's coastal expansion.

https://www.axios.com/2023/04/18/newsnation-multimillion-expansion-dc-nyc

27 minutes ago, mightynine said:

Nexstar execs claim it's profitable, but offer no specifics. I don't see anything in their last quarterly report.

From last year:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/newsnation-expands-new-york-chris-cuomo-elizabeth-vargas-1235401963/

https://www.axios.com/2023/04/18/newsnation-multimillion-expansion-dc-nyc

So you're just taking the spin at face value. Remind me to never put you in an investigative role.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

23 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

So you're just taking the spin at face value. Remind me to never put you in an investigative role.

What part of "offer no specifics" makes you think I'm buying the spin at face value? I was just sharing what came up in a Google search. Personally, I doubt NN is turning a "good" profit.

As for your other statement, I doubt you'll ever be in any position to make decisions on staffing anywhere.

Edited by mightynine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NewsNation has also been profitable from its inception, Sook said.

“You can call us fledgling. Don’t call us struggling because we haven’t struggled a day since we started,” he said.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/local-companies/2023/08/02/d-fws-highest-paid-ceo-perry-sook-ushers-nexstar-into-new-era-with-sports-cable-news/

1 hour ago, mightynine said:

What part of "offer no specifics" makes you think I'm buying the spin at face value? I was just sharing what came up in a Google search. Personally, I doubt NN is turning a "good" profit.

As for your other statement, I doubt you'll ever be in any position to make decisions on staffing anywhere.

You could have offered some commentary like, "Looks to be conjecture" or similar.

• Concerned 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

On 1/11/2024 at 11:18 AM, Georgie56 said:

Changes coming.

- MiA expands to weekends with Hena Doba, airing from 7-10am ET starting January 27.

Starting Jan. 27:

- Elizabeth Vargas Reports and The Hill are switching timeslots. Vargas airs at 5pm ET and Hill at 6pm ET.

Weekday MiA is losing an hour, now airing from 6-9am ET, with Markie Martin solo-anchoring. Adrienne Bankert is moving to a special projects role. NN Live with Marni Hughes will air from 9am-noon ET, and NN Now with Nichole Berlie gains an hour, airing from noon-3pm ET.

Has Adrienne Bankert left NN? Or is she in the process? She hasnt posted on social since December. Not a good look. Usually means they are in separation talks, which is to be expected since she lost her show. 

On 1/25/2024 at 5:14 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Calling it a failure with nothing to back up those claims besides ratings—which anyone would say is an outdated form of measurement and a rather arcane form of guesstimating—is particularly dishonest.

Any cable network can turn a profit if they run lean and mean, and in the case of the entire Paramount Global cable portfolio, run reruns of only one show for days on end. Why? Because it's all money that's taken directly from cable bills. We pay for these networks to be in the black and they collectively do nothing to justify it.

I don't really care for cable news or whatever NewsNation actually does at this point. At least they're doing SOMETHING, which is something I can't say about much of the vast wasteland of zombie cable channels that SHOULD be dead and are helping to kill off the medium altogether.

On 1/29/2024 at 7:32 PM, newsman123 said:

Has Adrienne Bankert left NN? Or is she in the process? She hasnt posted on social since December. Not a good look. Usually means they are in separation talks, which is to be expected since she lost her show. 

She was reassigned to host special projects and documentaries.

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

Calling it a failure with nothing to back up those claims besides ratings—which anyone would say is an outdated form of measurement and a rather arcane form of guesstimating—is particularly dishonest.

Any cable network can turn a profit if they run lean and mean, and in the case of the entire Paramount Global cable portfolio, run reruns of only one show for days on end. Why? Because it's all money that's taken directly from cable bills. We pay for these networks to be in the black and they collectively do nothing to justify it.

I don't really care for cable news or whatever NewsNation actually does at this point. At least they're doing SOMETHING, which is something I can't say about much of the vast wasteland of zombie cable channels that SHOULD be dead and are helping to kill off the medium altogether.

She was reassigned to host special projects and documentaries.

Ratings drive ad revenue and that drives profits. They are taking revenue from their local stations, none of which are #1 in any market, and using it to fund NewsNation. I guess, if you don't give a crap about the content, sure, it's successful. By that metric, Scripps using AI and few responding to it could be classified as successful, because it brings in a profit. Who cares if the community is getting anything out of it, right?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Ratings drive ad revenue and that drives profits.

Fox News is the most profitable cable network not because of ratings or ad revenue (or lack thereof on the latter) but because it is the most expensive network a cable provider can carry. Those carriage contracts are extremely lucrative and make any advertising boycott levied by MMFA, et. al, completely useless.

NewsNation runs with a fraction of the budget of Fox, and is able to get some blue-chip advertising as opposed to none with Fox. And even then, the carriage contracts for NewsNation is still what makes the most money.

32 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

They are taking revenue from their local stations, none of which are #1 in any market, and using it to fund NewsNation.

Do you have actual proof this is the case? Show me facts and figures, or this is nothing more than a "dude, trust me" claim.

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If anything, the stations have to give up inventory (either paid or promotional) to show NewsNation ads.   For a station that is not clearly number #1, giving up this prime inventory may be something that could possibly make a difference for the positive.

Isn't Nexstar paying for that ad inventory? 

Not related, but CW ads are showing up on Antenna TV.  Nexstar will do anything to cross promote itself.....I'm surprised that NewsNation promos haven't shown up there yet!

It's a little confusing because our MeTV station is owned by Nexstar (and airs their CW promos), alongside our independently run Antenna TV affiliate, making it clearly a Nexstar decision.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 9:38 AM, Action Newsroom said:

Geraldo is joining NewsNation as Correspondent at Large.

Will this set up yet another reboot of Geraldo at Large where he'll get a half-hour to do whatever he'd like?

• Like 2

On 2/15/2024 at 6:48 PM, mrschimpf said:

Will this set up yet another reboot of Geraldo at Large where he'll get a half-hour to do whatever he'd like?

Geraldo Still at Large.

• Haha 9

Geraldo going to do specials on UFO's although seems that NewsNation has stopped the UFO specials. Or maybe he'll go and try to find Al Capone's vault once again like he did when he had a trashy talk show LOL. Geraldo shouldn't have been fired over at Fox News. 

Ah Geraldo…

This I’ll give to NewsNation and Nexstar…

Perry Sook is filling the broadcast leadership void left by Les Moonves’ resignation. 

A shameless cross promoter because it works, doesn’t try to chase the young adult audience that’s been fickle for decades, and pushing retrans hard. 

How much juice is left from satellite and cable and streamers paying subs - who knows - but those years long contracts give a lot of runway.