The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I was flipping around to sample the cable news coverage of this big moment happening in Russia right now. The other cable networks are wall to wall on this.

"News" Nation is airing Blue Bloods, of course. And when I turned them on for a second, they had a banner promoting anti-vax conspiracy theorist RFK, Jr.

This is not a real news channel.

image.thumb.png.c77adcf57e9c644f8273e6ae79ff6326.png

I’m almost surprised they didn’t just air “Swan Lake” on repeat; it would’ve given people more information than another Blue Bloods rerun.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie

Cuomo officially moved into the big new NYC studio starting tonight. They made a big deal out of it, with him ending the show by walking into the control room and saying hello to the crew in person.

Also of note, Banfield originated from the big NYC studio Monday-Friday June 12th-June 16th and Monday-Thursday June 19th-June 22nd. She did the Friday 6/23 show from the traditional flashcam setup, presumably back up in CT. It's unclear if she was just visiting NYC for a couple of weeks or if she's going to start coming there more regularly now. We'll have to wait and find out.

During the live toss between Cuomo and Abrams tonight, they joked about how Abrams is still stuck on the old set and that Dan's not "jealous or anything".

Side note about Banfield: over the past few weeks, they have slowly evolved the graphical look of the show to remove all of the last vestiges of the original NewsNation dark blue and gold color scheme (the last show on the network to carry those colors), instead switching to a graphics set of varying shades of purple. It took like 3-4 weeks for them to complete the rollout, starting with the logo bug in the bottom right corner, then the double boxes, then the wipes, and finally, on June 12th, the opener.

This video from the show last week gives an example of some of the new purple graphic elements, like the wipe and the double boxes. Believe me, you're not missing much with the opener; they basically just changed the logo at the end of it to match the new purple color scheme.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Apologies for the bump,

But NewsNation has been obsessed with UFOs lately.

How long before before they hire Giorgio A. Tsoukalos as an on-air personality?

they should change their name to the history channel.

also no worries.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

NewsNation has jumped the shark on UFO reporting LOL :P.

Speaking of sharks, is the long-extinct Megalodon shark secretly lurking in the waters of the Pacific? Are marine biologists hiding something that the government doesn’t want you to know about? Hell if I know, but I’m sure we’re all just itching to find out on the next NewsNation exclusive. /s

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

I guess weather isn't dead at NewsNation...

Trying to figure out if this is just NewsNation management doing a 180 and realizing that they need some form of weather presence, or if they just intentionally wanted to shed themselves of Jebaily for one reason or another.

18 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Trying to figure out if this is just NewsNation management doing a 180 and realizing that they need some form of weather presence, or if they just intentionally wanted to shed themselves of Jebaily for one reason or another.

My guess is that it's a bit of ...'I didn't hire you, so you're gone and I get to bring in someone else (who's probably cheaper) with a mix of 'we need someone to do weather stories'.  I figured that when they hired both Ramon and Jebaily that they both would be traveling the country reporting on hurricanes, tornado outbreaks, etc... Can't understand why they were fired in the first place.

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the FTV post, Robach's show will be a weekly show. So either this will be an expansion of Sunday programming, or a replacement for one of the Sunday hours of NewsNation Prime on Sundays, or they'll throw a curveball and replace one night of some established weekday show with Robach's show, a la what MSNBC does on Monday nights.

Earlier in this thread, I predicted incorrectly that Dan Abrams wouldn't be long for NewsNation. I was wrong. They inked Dan to a new multi-year deal.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/press/newsnation-dan-abrams-agree-to-multi-year-extension/

And last but not least, NewsNation completed its weekday lineup today 9/25, as Connell McShane became the anchor of the 3-5pm ET block of NewsNation Now. With the move, Nichole Berlie now anchors the 1-3pm ET block of the show.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/press/connell-mcshane-joins-newsnation-as-anchor-of-newsnation-now-from-3-5-pm-et/

McShane's edition of the show originates from the NYC studio.

With this, the 2pm ET hour is now the last Chicago-based hour of programming each weekday.

I feel like we're re-living CNN's exodus from Atlanta all over again. Just now it's NewsNation's exodus from Chicago. I *guess* the making and dayside shows will probably stay in Chicago for a while, but I could see an all NYC/DC schedule coming in some number of years from now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last Man Standing no longer on NewsNation it is all Blue Bloods until NewsNation goes 24/7 7 days a week. Surprised that they don't want to fill some hours with UFO shows after all they are the UFO news station LMAO.

11 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

Last Man Standing no longer on NewsNation it is all Blue Bloods until NewsNation goes 24/7 7 days a week.

Not true! There's infomercials. 😏

On the bright side, it looks like Blue Bloods is limited to weekends.

On 10/7/2023 at 3:22 AM, mre29 said:

Not true! There's infomercials. 😏

On the bright side, it looks like Blue Bloods is limited to weekends.

Been weekend only since spring when NewsNation went news all day/night long M-F.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not great, not terrible. Reminds me of WPIX, in the L3 text weight & proportions. The waving flag next to the live bug is silly, but feels on-brand, in a hilarious way. The logo in the bug is way too big. The time rotates with the stock numbers. It is "cleaner," if uninspired.

image.thumb.png.2610f27beeb93d83f0e46bbfb43a6b2d.png

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 4

Not like the graphics have ever been a make or break for what a disaster the whole operation is, at least back at the launch, they had the appearance of a good national newscast (graphics, studio). Every "update" since has made it look cheaper and more small market.

Pointless take, I know. 

• Like 4

On 8/18/2023 at 1:55 PM, MD TV said:

So the UFO stuff has helped ratings. But obviously at a cost:

Haven't we learned from CNN and the Malaysia Plane🤔

Late in the game to ask this, but why would Nexstar, a company known for being cheap, pour resources into launching a cable news channel in the era of cord cutting???

Futile question: Why not take that money and pay local station employees better?

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The former package definitely was influenced by local news.

This one, meanwhile, screams loudly 'we have a guy who used to produce GMA'...way too big, way too much wasted space, designed for the older folks rather than anyone under 60, and Perry's Flag Corner screams post-9/11 Fox News Channel (and I loathe that newsorgs just fell lockstep into the new Twitter branding rather than most normal people just still thinking it is Twitter).

Also if you don't even carry any business news, stock index tracking is less than worthless. It's pointless decoration for the sake of decoration and for the UFO/true crime crowd they have now might as well be Thai in its 'news you can use'-ability.

• Like 7