The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

And now they've added a super tacky "News for All America" tagline on the screen not in one place, but in two places!

Both taglines alternate with the channel logo and the show logo. The taglines seem to appear once every minute or so.

IMG_20230519_084833137~2.jpg

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, TallyNewsJunkie said:

I don't know if NewsNation is desperate for money or what but now you can buy NewsNation branded merchandise....

https://newsnation.threadless.com/?trk=public_post_embed-text

The other news orgs have merch around their shows too.

https://www.nbcstore.com/pages/nbc-news

https://www.cbsstore.com/collections/cbs-news

https://shopabctv.com/collections/good-morning-america

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 4

I'm looking at their YouTube content, and I'm seeing that after Mitch Carr was laid off, Early Morning has continued on Friday and Monday with Nick Smith hosting. If the plan is for Early Morning to be cancelled, maybe it's pending a retooling of the rest of their morning schedule, perhaps in the week(s) following Memorial Day?

1 hour ago, JosiahCubed said:

As I found out from the UK equivalent of TVNT, Markie Martin is now co-anchor of Morning In America, and the show will be expanding into the 6am hour on June 12.

Thank you for the heads-up. I knew something was up with why Early Morning was being kept with temporary hosts. This explains why... because they weren't quite ready to roll out the new format show, yet they were desperate to cut Carr from the staff.

1 hour ago, MidwestTV said:

Gerard Gebaily announced this afternoon that weather is being all but cut from NewsNation newscasts and that his position as lead forecaster has been eliminated in a "cost saving" measure.

Ouch, that's brutal. I was not surprised when they cut weather out of the evenings, but to cut weather out of the mornings, that comes as a shock to me.

19 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Where do we see NewsNation one year from now? Bigger or smaller than today?

My best estimation is more hours of content, but with continued significant turnover in personnel and in the schedule.

26 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Where do we see NewsNation one year from now? Bigger or smaller than today?

Bigger, marginally. Primary season will be in full-swing and Nexstar will dump money and affiliate's resources into it just to move the needle a little (and get that beautiful political ad money)

1 minute ago, Spring Rubber said:

Thank you for the heads-up. I knew something was up with why Early Morning was being kept with temporary hosts. This explains why... because they weren't quite ready to roll out the new format show, yet they were desperate to cut Carr from the staff.

Ouch, that's brutal. I was not surprised when they cut weather out of the evenings, but to cut weather out of the mornings, that comes as a shock to me.

My best estimation is more hours of content, but with continued significant turnover in personnel and in the schedule.

Wasting little time, Martin's bio has been updated and Gerard's has been removed. Shame they couldn't find a new role (weather/climate correspondent, etc..) for him. Guessing they will turn to local mets to help fill in the gaps in weather coverage.

As i have often stated, 'Morning in America' was in dire need of help. Hopefully, the addition of Martin and other changes will make a difference. I guess they see this as an opportunity to grab viewers from CNN This Morning given their current state atm.

I wonder if they can grab any big names (currently employed and not a has-been that is) in the next year or so as they continue to fill out the schedule.

Tonight's edition of Banfield is coming from the new NYC set that's used for Elizabeth Vargas Reports. Based on the way Ashleigh introduced tonight's show, calling it their "new set," makes me think that this might be the new permanent home for Banfield.

To date, wasn't she doing the show either from home or from a flashcam studio somewhere near her home in CT?

As the only show on the network not hosted from one of their three studios in Chicago, NYC, and DC, I have to wonder if this was a network decision to bring their last remaining show in-house.

I gotta say, the show looks way better in studio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Tonight's edition of Banfield is coming from the new NYC set that's used for Elizabeth Vargas Reports. Based on the way Ashleigh introduced tonight's show, calling it their "new set," makes me think that this might be the new permanent home for Banfield.

To date, wasn't she doing the show either from home or from a flashcam studio somewhere near her home in CT?

As the only show on the network not hosted from one of their three studios in Chicago, NYC, and DC, I have to wonder if this was a network decision to bring their last remaining show in-house.

I gotta say, the show looks way better in studio.

I think now that they have a big enough studio that can accommodate more shows, it makes since to make the move. Plus, having guests in-studio rather than via zoom, etc.. likely played a part too. It's the 'personal connection,' if you will, that was missing from her show.    

Ashleigh is back in her old digs up in CT tonight.

So I guess she's only going to come to NYC occasionally, probably only on nights where they have somewhat high-profile in-studio guests booked. Somehow I kinda figured she wouldn't be down with commuting to NYC every day or relocating closer to NYC.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like NewsNation is going to start experimenting with Sunday night special features. This Sunday night 6/11, NewsNation will air We Are Not Alone: The UFO Whistleblower Speaks at 9pm ET, followed by We Are Not Alone: NewsNation Special Report immediately following at 10pm ET. The two shows will re-run at 11pm ET and 12am ET, respectively, before normal reruns of the weekday shows start at 1am ET. NewsNation Prime will be reduced to two hours from 7pm-9pm ET this Sunday, and Prime will not have any scheduled reruns that night.

Apologies if someone has noticed this move already, but waking up in Wisconsin this morning and noticed that Nexstar is relating NewsNation on their local Fox station in the mornings… local bug (bottom right) and all. 

Watching a bit last night and their 9pm show is WEAU’s (Gray) 10pm show/set/anchors/reporters with Nexstar’s graphics. Interesting moves?

D42A2CFD-8287-43E5-B575-136FF88F06FF.jpeg

44 minutes ago, The Frog said:

It's comparable to my doctor praising me for losing 3 pounds this year compared to one pound last year. Sure, the percentage of growth is big - but the reality is the audience is still not substantial. Their PR team does a great job selling a story that's all smoke and mirrors. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Recovering Producer said:

It's comparable to my doctor praising me for losing 3 pounds this year compared to one pound last year. Sure, the percentage of growth is big - but the reality is the audience is still not substantial. Their PR team does a great job selling a story that's all smoke and mirrors. 

I wonder how much Nexstar paid The Daily Beast to crap out that story.

Actually no, this is some 90s news stuff that we need. News channels need to find ways to bring drama and excitement without being about politics all the time. This is old school. This is on par with a camera following OJ in the Bronco. People secretly hope for death and destruction, that's why they watch. You can say it's immoral, but humanity at it's core is immoral, this is just giving the people what they want. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thought-Provoking 2
  • Angry 1

6 hours ago, gbsgeo said:

Anyone find it a little bit unsettling that News Nation is counting down to the people on the missing submersible’s potential death if they’re even still alive??

IMG_2139.jpeg

I was wondering if any channels would have a countdown, though it does seem to be questionable in taste. Additionally, using minutes and especially seconds makes it seem like they know the exact time. It's just estimates and could change based on factors. I noticed CNN occasionally had a studio graphic saying something like "16-17 hours", making it clear that it's not exact.

10 hours ago, Briella said:

Actually no, this is some 90s news stuff that we need. News channels need to find ways to bring drama and excitement without being about politics all the time. This is old school. This is on par with a camera following OJ in the Bronco. People secretly hope for death and destruction, that's why they watch. You can say it's immoral, but humanity at it's core is immoral, this is just giving the people what they want. 

If this is “giving the people what they want,” then show me the evidence of high ratings at this farce of a network to prove that this stuff even works.

If you think this is the “stuff we need” when the media is facing a record low trust deficit, then with all due respect, you may want to rethink your priorities.

4 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

It's tacky and gross. Incredible to think how both Nexstar and Scripps both basically executed the same plan launching news networks, but with such starkly different products. 

Scripps actually did the smart thing and distributed their network on multiple platforms so that, get this, more people could at least watch the damn thing. Scripps is also far more credible, and unlike NewsNation, they aren’t a bunch of cynical attention-seeking desperados that would make Jeff Zucker blush.

• Like 5

On 6/21/2023 at 1:35 PM, Briella said:

Actually no, this is some 90s news stuff that we need. 

Actually, it’s that logic that’s killing TV news…

Anyway, here’s an article from Deadline on this:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/missing-sub-news-nation-oxygen-remaining-countdown-clock-1235422766/

I think the most interesting takeaway here is that there are people out there who watch News Nation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I was flipping around to sample the cable news coverage of this big moment happening in Russia right now. The other cable networks are wall to wall on this.

"News" Nation is airing Blue Bloods, of course. And when I turned them on for a second, they had a banner promoting anti-vax conspiracy theorist RFK, Jr.

This is not a real news channel.

image.thumb.png.c77adcf57e9c644f8273e6ae79ff6326.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2