The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

33 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

So because they don't yet have an anchor for the 1pm-3pm block (which I honestly didn't see that coming), I get the impression that we'll probably see Natasha Zouves anchor three of the weekdays so that she can retain her weekend duties, and we'll probably see the rotation of correspondents anchoring on the remaining two weekdays.

I'm guessing the show generally won't be Chicago-based when those correspondents are anchoring? (I'm not sure which city each of those correspondents is based out of...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Martin (Dallas) and Shafer (Miami) are the only ones not in Chicago (or DC). Depending on how long this arrangement will last and how they work out scheduling of each person; it could be possible Martin and Shafer will spend some time in DC anchoring and not too far away from the regions they cover. Who knows???

I see that leading up to the schedule change, the weekend Edition of NewsNation Prime has been moved back down into the main studio. (From checking YouTube clips, looks like this change happened April 8th.) The weekend show had previously been using the newsroom set ever since the weekday edition of Prime was discontinued.

Biggest surprise for the new schedule today is that the entire 10am-5pm ET block originates from the main studio, all with the anchors sitting in the exact same position up against the right-side video wall.

I really thought that at least one of the shows would switch it up either by hosting from the newsroom or by hosting in the main studio, but from a different position, especially Behrle's show, but nope.

NewsNation ran with Natasha Zouves all five days this week, after she also anchored the prior weekend. I'm guessing they wanted a consistent anchor from 1pm-3pm ET for the first week of this new schedule.

Maybe they'll give her this weekend off and then switch to her split weekend/weekday schedule next week. 🤔

...or maybe she'll just work 9 days in a row if they don't have anyone available to fill in this weekend, lol

Zouves was given this full weekend off after anchoring 7 days in a row from Sat 4/22 through Fri 4/28. Keleigh Beeson filled in both Saturday and Sunday of this weekend.

I'm guessing that during this upcoming week, we'll start to see the rotation of anchors on the 1pm-3pm ET block.

I think they should keep Zouves from 1PM to 3PM. I don't get why they didn't just move Rush Hour 3PM to 5PM than NewsNation Now I liked the title of a show Rush Hour why get rid of it? I wonder now that NN is all news M-F when they start to put more news on the weekend than the 3 hours for the slow build for news 7 days a week, at the end of 2024.

As I believe that little by little that news will be added to the weekends maybe come the fall or late 2023 with maybe 2 or 3 hours of the morning news just my opinion and I could be wrong on it.

On 4/30/2023 at 9:47 PM, Spring Rubber said:

Zouves was given this full weekend off after anchoring 7 days in a row from Sat 4/22 through Fri 4/28. Keleigh Beeson filled in both Saturday and Sunday of this weekend.

I'm guessing that during this upcoming week, we'll start to see the rotation of anchors on the 1pm-3pm ET block.

1 hour ago, Megatron81 said:

I think they should keep Zouves from 1PM to 3PM. I don't get why they didn't just move Rush Hour 3PM to 5PM than NewsNation Now I liked the title of a show Rush Hour why get rid of it? I wonder now that NN is all news M-F when they start to put more news on the weekend than the 3 hours for the slow build for news 7 days a week, at the end of 2024.

As I believe that little by little that news will be added to the weekends maybe come the fall or late 2023 with maybe 2 or 3 hours of the morning news just my opinion and I could be wrong on it.

Zouves was back anchoring 1-3P yesterday. It's 'possible' she keeps M-F, 1-3P for the time being and they have Beeson, Martin, etc... anchor the weekends. It didn't seem clear, to me anyway, that they would rotate people during the week. Best to have some consistency M-F.

I agree there was no reason to dump the Rush Hour name. It will be interesting to see how weekends will shape up by year's end.  

Another thought is that maybe they purposely don't want to commit anyone to the 1pm-3pm block either because A) They're exploring poaching a big name talent, and adding them to the lineup would shake up the schedule (possibly forcing Behrle into the earlier timeslot), or B) They're contemplating launching a daytime talk/panel discussion show at some point, potentially at or around 1pm ET.

I do hope they're able to add something more to the weekends before late 2024, but I don't know if they're still contractually obligated to air a certain amount of hours of Blue Bloods/Last Man Standing on the weekends still?

I don't understand NewsNation's scheduling, but Zouves anchored this entire weekend, meaning she worked 7 days straight Monday-Sunday.

With that being said, that leads me to believe that it's going to be someone else in the 1pm-3pm ET slot on Monday and Tuesday this week. We'll see.

Edited by Spring Rubber

On Wednesday night, NewsNation aired a 2-hour edition of Cuomo from 8pm-10pm ET, to provide post-event coverage of the Trump Town Hall that aired on CNN. As a result, Dan Abrams Live was bumped from the schedule entirely that night. Banfield aired at its usual time immediately following Cuomo.

I'm trying to remember... wasn't there at least one other time that Dan Abrams Live got bumped for an extended edition of Cuomo? Or maybe I'm thinking of the night that it was bumped for the Trump arraignment coverage that was co-hosted by Abrams, Cuomo, and Vargas... can't quite remember.

Either way, for Dan to be entirely bumped from the schedule like that in the middle of the week on a busy news cycle, it makes me wonder if his show isn't long for the network. I've always personally felt like he launched the show at NewsNation mainly to keep a presence in the cable landscape while he jockeyed to bring Live PD (now On Patrol: Live) back on the air. I remember how the early days of the NewsNation show contained a lot of content favorable to the Live PD audience. Now that he's accomplished the return of that show, I feel like he's not going want to keep doing live TV six nights a week forever (Mon-Thu on NewsNation / Fri-Sat with On Patrol: Live [plus pre-recording the Friday NewsNation show in advance]), in addition to his daytime radio show and all of his business ventures.

My personal take is that Dan will remain on NewsNation for now, but if the network comes across the opportunity to hire a super high-profile primetime host, I think Dan and the network would amicably part ways so that NewsNation can give the high-profile host a slot, while Dan can focus on the 1,000 other companies he either owns or works for.

Edited by Spring Rubber

For the weekday 1pm-3pm ET block, they went with Keleigh Beeson the full week Monday-Friday, and it's Beeson on there again today. Zouves anchored her normal weekend evening shifts.

Maybe they're going to be swapping the weekday 1pm-3pm ET anchors on a 2-week rotating basis. Zouves did her two weeks, and now Beeson is on her second week in that slot.

1 hour ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

Early Morning is cancelled, Mitch Carr has been laid off confirmed it on Instagram. He's a good guy sucks it happens to him. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsZqlrDufsD/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

So turning into a 24/5 news network means cancelling your live 6am ET show... 🤔

1 hour ago, TallyNewsJunkie said:

I don't know if NewsNation is desperate for money or what but now you can buy NewsNation branded merchandise....

https://newsnation.threadless.com/?trk=public_post_embed-text

And the other channels have long operated merch stores. Non-story, even if Scott Jones says so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://msnbcstore.com/

https://store.cnn.com/

https://shop.foxnews.com/

• Like 2