The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

On 3/5/2023 at 10:27 PM, CircleSeven said:

They have contracts for those shows that last until the end of 2024. I don't think they can drop those shows two months early.

I get the contracts I wouldn't be surprised if those shows will only be in the late night hours 2 or 3 hours at most on Sat & Sun where it's news all day & most of the night in fall 2024.

• 4 weeks later...

Elizabeth Vargas Reports premiere from new NewsNation NYC studio. Updated pictures.. Nice studio (w/ control room attached on one side and small work space/newsroom on the other). 

As far as the show… pretty standard fare with an emphasis on interviewing the day’s newsmakers.

IMG_0752.thumb.jpeg.0817d41ab7fa083c5eebb9de70e52881.jpegIMG_0743.thumb.jpeg.8aca0c3584d504306af9df29dbfb0d4f.jpegIMG_0746.thumb.jpeg.7710cdd93e8626b70830fe1875517ecb.jpegIMG_0745.thumb.jpeg.ece41d2fb25d2e720aad48e826433ebf.jpegIMG_0747.thumb.jpeg.1aa52d82dce5834078f506460b2ac089.jpegIMG_0750.thumb.jpeg.5afb8b34610051efab43e26c815dd131.jpegIMG_0754.thumb.jpeg.d14447c96cef87206ff1c88282ad7013.jpeg

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, jase said:

Elizabeth Vargas Reports premiere from new NewsNation NYC studio. Pics aren’t great, but here u go nevertheless….

Thanks for the pics. I kinda forgot this launch was happening today. I also kinda forgot that the new studio was going to debut. At least the studio is on-brand and doesn't feel like a small shoebox anymore.

35 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Thanks for the pics. I kinda forgot this launch was happening today. I also kinda forgot that the new studio was going to debut. At least the studio is on-brand and doesn't feel like a small shoebox anymore.

Yeah it’s a good space. I do wonder if, at some point, they remodel the now old small studio to have as a backup.

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

How is the show and how does it fit into the right-leaning vibe the network has been giving off?

Like I mentioned above..from what I saw briefly; it was a straight-forward newscast. I don't watch NN enough (i.e...I had no idea Tom Negovan disappeared at some point) so I can't say how right-leaning they have become. I will say Vittert, Cuomo (and maybe Abrams to a degree) have become more conservative- friendly.  I doubt Vargas will, but you never know.  

Edited by jase

52 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Wait, so the control room in view wasn't just an image on a video wall? It's real?

Correct. That's all glass not a video wall. The second to last pic above was shot in the control room as they went to break. 

I just noticed that the overnight infomercials and religious programming are gone Monday-Friday, in favor of more reruns of their primetime shows. Not sure how long that's been the case, but I guess that's one step in the direction of the 24/5 schedule they plan on launching by the end of April (maybe on the 24th when The Hill launches).

24 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

I just noticed that the overnight infomercials and religious programming are gone Monday-Friday, in favor of more reruns of their primetime shows. Not sure how long that's been the case, but I guess that's one step in the direction of the 24/5 schedule they plan on launching by the end of April (maybe on the 24th when The Hill launches).

I believe they bridged the overnight gap just last week.

19 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I'm sure their viewer(s) in Alaska and Hawaii are grateful.

1 hour ago, mre29 said:

I'm sure their viewer(s) in Alaska and Hawaii are grateful.

You assume they actually have viewers out there. (Tribune preferred to distribute KTLA over WGN in those states during the superstation era) 😉

On 4/3/2023 at 6:57 PM, jase said:

I doubt Vargas will, but you never know.  

She hosted 20/20 and that greenscreen mess that is iCrime (I assume that'll be renewed because it costs as much to produce an episode as her car payment); she knows her audience is the same kind as those two shows and will appeal to them.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 5:46 PM, Spring Rubber said:

Wait, so the control room in view wasn't just an image on a video wall? It's real?

It's in the same place as the WPIX control room was when they were using that newsroom. The windows are obviously much larger now, though!

Hard to believe that area was this mess 12 years ago (and this was after they fixed it up with those wavy panels, it was just plain black walls before that!)

image.thumb.png.68a840044be5131b114c6c41fdf5e182.png

• Like 1

I see that NewsNation bumped the 8pm-10pm ET (I think) portion of their normal primetime schedule tonight in favor of a NewsNation Special Report on the Trump arraignment co-hosted by Vargas, Cuomo, and Abrams all sitting together on the new set.

I also saw on the program guide that they covered the arraignment live in the afternoon, but I didn't catch any of it or see who hosted.

54 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

I see that NewsNation bumped the 8pm-10pm ET (I think) portion of their normal primetime schedule tonight in favor of a NewsNation Special Report on the Trump arraignment co-hosted by Vargas, Cuomo, and Abrams all sitting together on the new set.

ABC NEWS ALUMNI ASSEMBLE!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I also saw on the program guide that they covered the arraignment live in the afternoon, but I didn't catch any of it or see who hosted.

Hughes handled coverage in the afternoon. Not sure she did all of it (maybe Vittert helped carry the load at some point????). Assuming she anchored her normal 3 hr block, that's a lot of hrs. for one person to anchor solo.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

Is that the studio where Daily Mail TV was taped before NN uses now? I watch a report here and there for Elizabeth's show.

DMTV used WPIX's main studio, which has since been redone and is still for WPIX; the most they had to do is put up a couple of Command hooks or something to put up their logo in Styrofoam.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:14 AM, Spring Rubber said:

The 24th it is:

https://deadline.com/2023/04/newsnation-expanding-24-hour-weekday-schedule-newsnation-now-block-1235329514/

The 1-5PM block will be known as NewsNation Now.

2 hours ago, MD TV said:

The 24th it is:

https://deadline.com/2023/04/newsnation-expanding-24-hour-weekday-schedule-newsnation-now-block-1235329514/

The 1-5PM block will be known as NewsNation Now.

It will be anchored by a rotation of journalists from 1-3 p.m. ET, ... Until a permanent anchor is named, guest anchors will include weekend anchor Natasha Zouves, chief Washington correspondent Blake Burman and correspondents Markie Martin, Keleigh Beeson and Brooke Shafer.

So because they don't yet have an anchor for the 1pm-3pm block (which I honestly didn't see that coming), I get the impression that we'll probably see Natasha Zouves anchor three of the weekdays so that she can retain her weekend duties, and we'll probably see the rotation of correspondents anchoring on the remaining two weekdays.

I'm guessing the show generally won't be Chicago-based when those correspondents are anchoring? (I'm not sure which city each of those correspondents is based out of...please correct me if I'm wrong.