The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

16 hours ago, TheRob said:

He had every right to question the network over that Trump.  Yet, it's the same network that refused to cover an event right in Chicago and the death of Queen Elizabeth.  NewsNation is a joke!

• Like 2

He's just mad Frank Reagan is more respected on NewsNation than him, a real person. 😉

The entire endeavor is beginning to remind me of the Brooklyn Nets; it should easily be a well-run and loved team, but they have a bunch of people screwing things up and the ones trying to fix it just won't be heard, so they walk away for their health.

• Like 1

This is the same outlet that made it seem like Norah O'Donnell was on her way out at CBS, before she wasn't.

It seems like this may be based on a single source, described as an "insider,"  but that doesn't even necessarily mean this person works there. I don't even see this "insider" describing a situation they witnessed or citing a person he or she heard this from. The Post has a political axe to grind and this story is perfect for them. Take any Post gossip with a spoonful of salt.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

This is the same outlet that made it seem like Norah O'Donnell was on her way out at CBS, before she wasn't.

It seems like this may be based on a single source, described as an "insider,"  but that doesn't even necessarily mean this person works there. I don't even see this "insider" describing a situation they witnessed or citing a person he or she heard this from. The Post has a political axe to grind and this story is perfect for them. Take any Post gossip with a spoonful of salt.

A good rule of thumb that’s worked well for me: If it’s a sensationalist piece from the NY Post/NY Daily News, there’s a 50% chance it’s horsecrap.

• Like 3

Considering the network's muddled direction (not quite Fox News, but also CourtTV), this is more just turf protection for their FNC brethren than a political axe to grind. I do take a few things seriously here (especially the whiny timeslot hysterics).

This is just more a case of an impatient media divo not understanding the days of his show getting 1 million+ are over and he has to rebuild an audience week by week and month by month with patience. If he wanted instant gratification he should've started a Twitch channel with Mr. Beast or something.

• Like 4

100% Believe the story! There needs to be sources regardless and it sounds very cuomo like.. Chris loves himself and will not accept that he cannot bring viewers so will blame the system around him. Very Sam Champion like story leaving GMA to go to TWC only for his show to BOMB in the ratings. Now back to local news working 4a-1p at 60+ years old. Maybe Cuomo can anchor local news next? That honestly wouldn't be a bad gig for him.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:14 PM, jd285 said:

The BBC posted earlier tonight on their election live blog about Trump’s interview with NewsNation. Needless to say, the way they described the network is something to say the least.

AE2BCA20-07B5-41FF-BAD9-AC4A600BA9FC.png

On that subject, apparently the interviewer (Markie Martin) is the sister of Margo Martin, Trump’s Deputy Director of Communications. That relationship was not disclosed.

I know I should really stop giving NN undue attention, but when they’re interviewing the former president like this, it’s kind of hard to ignore.

FTVLive referred to the network as Fox News Lite, but even Fox News has greater levels of transparency. NewsNation is more like Diet Newsmax with a side of Fredo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Personally, I wouldn't ever boast about beating taped programming on two nights the NFL buried anything with a (live and on-air and not involving home shopping) pulse, but for NN, I guess beating a taped show about the 'war on Christmas', on Christmas, in a very asterisk-heavy demographic manner, is an achievement in something, something enough to have your classic TV network being forced to acknowledge it on Facebook.

image.png.07eeb6ea699c436735c4f2827e7cf18e.png

• Haha 7
  • Concerned 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:29 PM, mrschimpf said:

Personally, I wouldn't ever boast about beating taped programming on two nights the NFL buried anything with a (live and on-air and not involving home shopping) pulse, but for NN, I guess beating a taped show about the 'war on Christmas', on Christmas, in a very asterisk-heavy demographic manner, is an achievement in something, something enough to have your classic TV network being forced to acknowledge it on Facebook.

image.png.07eeb6ea699c436735c4f2827e7cf18e.png

Ratings for cable talk channels in general deserve a massive asterisk. Yes, they (and Fox News in general) have a large audience, but when the bulk of it is over the age of 54, does it even matter? Maybe that’s why FNC only needs direct response ads, because they get hefty retrans fees from cable providers.

NewsNation’s continual failure remains on two points: the audience rejected the original intent of a generic prime—time newscast in resounding fashion, and the channel isn’t able to peel away any viewers from Fox News. Scott Jones may call it “Fox News Lite” and call Chris Cuomo “Fredo” (which isn’t even an original insult) but to be honest, no one really cares. Viewing patterns are difficult to break, which isn’t helped by not doing anything to differentiate from the competition.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

On 12/30/2022 at 6:56 AM, Myron Falwell said:

Ratings for cable talk channels in general deserve a massive asterisk. Yes, they (and Fox News in general) have a large audience, but when the bulk of it is over the age of 54, does it even matter? Maybe that’s why FNC only needs direct response ads, because they get hefty retrans fees from cable providers.

It's also just a declining pool of viewers; at maximum you can have 15 million on a good night, and on a night where nothing is happening, it's down to 5 million. That's 1-5% of the country, and even then how many of those TVs just have it on for background noise? You have so many places where the TV is just set on FNC or CNN just for the sake of visual noise, and to try to talk a declining audience to switch to this 'new' network you associate with reruns and multiple programming directions, and you're not going to do that because you'll just get customers who are like 'put it on a REAL news channel' (or are in a place at 3am wondering what the hell a campmeeting is).

Also don't forget just how much FNC is just in so many routines. Fox News Radio is now the main radio news service, along with their features on even mainstream full service stations, so even if you're nowhere near a TV with cable, Fox is going to be on something. NewsNation has just one radio station, WGN, along with whichever leftover affiliates somehow decided ABC, CBS, FNR, USA Radio, Salem, or Westwood One don't provide a good news product. WGN has become the most mid station to ever mid and is run godawfully (their schedule page thinks Jim Bohannan is still doing his show in his casket, I guess).

And Fox has Fox Nation, MSNBC has NBC News Now, CNN has their app. At the start of 2023, I still cannot stream NewsNation on Spectrum or even in their app off wifi. Nexstar failed terribly at getting their ducks in a row before launching NN, and Perry's 'the web is a fad' thinking is going to come back to bite him sooner than later.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1