The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

No ass kissing from Chris and didn't have his bro former governor of NY Andrew on the show LOL since Andrew needs a job after all. I wasn't going to watch Chris's show I didn't watch him on CNN when he had his bro on nightly being on his jock strap with softball questions. His promos suck for his show should've kept news of the day at 8PM or hired Megyn Kelly she would've gotten better ratings than Chris.

Edited by Megatron81
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

I thought NewsNation was rumored to be hiring Megyn already?  That would be awkward to have both her and Cuomo on the show after she blasted one of his segments on the opening night of his show.

And this is where I present to you this: https://newsblues.com/2022/07/15/source-megyn-kelly-not-going-to-newsnation/

Megyn Kelly has decided that she will not be joining NewsNation. The date of the article linked is July 15, 2022.

Again, would've been mentioned sooner, but because NewsNation is the embodiment of irrelevance...

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 8:07 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

Nah. That assumes NewsNation had any sort of lead to begin with.

They’re more like the 2022 Denver Broncos. A very expensive flop.

Or, the 1992 New York Mets. The worst team money could buy.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Curious to see how the Ohio Senate debate did on NewsNation, vs. the Ohio Nexstar stations that carried it (WJW, WCMH, WDTN, WKBN/WYTV) as well as border stations WTRF in Wheeling and WOWK in Charleston/Huntington...

I'm in Ohio right now and I watched it on WCMH-TV. Where did it air in the non-Nexstar markets?

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes

1 hour ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

Or, the 1992 New York Mets. The worst team money could buy.

I'm in Ohio right now and I watched it on WCMH-TV. Where did it air in the non-Nexstar markets?

It wouldn't surprise me for Nexstar to have kept it to themselves and relied on NewsNation to fill in the rest of Ohio and the nation, because it's a such a great news channel with millions of viewers....right?

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It wouldn't surprise me for Nexstar to have kept it to themselves and relied on NewsNation to fill in the rest of Ohio and the nation, because it's a such a great news channel with millions of viewers....right?

For the upcoming Georgia senate debate, they partnered with Sinclair and WAGA to fill in some gaps. I wonder if they had a similar agreement in Ohio.

https://www.nexstar.tv/nexstar-to-broadcast-debate-for-us-senator-from-georgia-on-oct-14/

I can't understand station groups keeping a debate to themselves; in Wisconsin the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association organizes the debate, with either Milwaukee PBS or PBS Wisconsin hosting it, and it basically being open to everyone to take; WVCY, the Milwaukee religious station, even broadcasts it both on TV and radio, about the only time they're neutral (though with a strong 'vote how God would want you to' message at the end).

And Nextar's requirements for debate coverage? How any media org accepts them is just beyond stupid. They basically read 'radio can rot', and the big annoyance in campaign ads, where a clean feed isn't available so a station gets dragged through the mud with some PAC, is just completely self-inflicted idiocy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

I can't understand station groups keeping a debate to themselves

This article from the Cincinnati Enquirer says the debate aired on WSTR, which means they shared with Sinclair, which in turn means they didn’t keep it to themselves.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2022/10/10/j-d-vance-tim-ryan-how-to-watch-u-s-senate-debate-tonight/69553404007/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, froyo49 said:

This article from the Cincinnati Enquirer says the debate aired on WSTR, which means they shared with Sinclair, which in turn means they didn’t keep it to themselves.

Putting it on the MNTV affiliate is the Cincinnatian equivalent of Northern Mongolia (WBQC is Cincinnati's television Siberia, of course). Surely it could've gone on WKRC, a station people actually watch, or even it's DT2 CW, rather than being stuck in the Sheldon Cooper timeslot leading into SVU reruns on a station only watched by doctor's offices, people who just will never stream TV, and restaurants who don't want to deal with the cable news arguments.

My point stands; Nexstar, and here Sinclair, should've allowed any station to air it like they do in Wisconsin and most states instead of this 'exclusivity' racket. This isn't Thursday Night Football, that the parties actually agree to this racket to prop up a failing cable channel is ludicrous, and it should be in the public domain and available to C-SPAN. End of.

1 hour ago, froyo49 said:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2022/10/10/j-d-vance-tim-ryan-how-to-watch-u-s-senate-debate-tonight/69553404007/

Not quite; airing the debate on WSTR was out of necessity, not for “public interest” reasons. Nexstar doesn’t own a station in Cincinnati, and had to partner w/ Sinclair in that market to ensure its debate could be seen in every Ohio market. That said, it’s really not a big deal IMHO.

10 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

My point stands; Nexstar, and here Sinclair, should've allowed any station to air it like they do in Wisconsin and most states instead of this 'exclusivity' racket. This isn't Thursday Night Football, that the parties actually agree to this racket to prop up a failing cable channel is ludicrous, and it should be in the public domain and available to C-SPAN. End of.

Is it any different than WABC/WPVI having exclusivity over a New Jersey gubernatorial debate?

I actually don’t mind Nexstar doing this. Just like ABC in NJ, Nexstar has the rights to host this debate, so why wouldn’t they air it on their platforms? If anything, airing it in all of their markets broadens the reach of the debate, as it now airs on stations that may not otherwise have carried it. And what does it have to do w/ NewsNation? These debates are being moderated by local anchors/reporters, not Chris Cuomo (and thank God for that).

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Wisconsin Broadcasters Association organizes the debate, with either Milwaukee PBS or PBS Wisconsin hosting it

These are all non-profits, so they are much more willing to make it public domain. Nexstar, on the other hand, wants to line their pockets with money because capitalism. Just how it works 🤷‍♂️. Also, we have this magical thing called the internet, making it available for anyone with a connection to watch. 

• Like 3

We'll see how Sinclair behaves in Florida in a few weeks with the Florida gubernatorial debate.  It's originating out of West Palm Beach at WPEC.  It would have been yesterday, but it was rescheduled due to the effects of Hurricane Ian on the state. 

Here's a breakdown on who's airing it. 

Nexstar gets Tampa and Panama City.  Cox gets Jacksonville and Orlando.  WFOR is airing it in Miami and WBBH is airing it in Ft. Myers.

All the other Sinclair markets in Florida are airing it on their stations.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Cities and call letters

2 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Not quite; airing the debate on WSTR was out of necessity, not for “public interest” reasons. Nexstar doesn’t own a station in Cincinnati, and had to partner w/ Sinclair in that market to ensure its debate could be seen in every Ohio market. That said, it’s really not a big deal IMHO.

Is it any different than WABC/WPVI having exclusivity over a New Jersey gubernatorial debate?

In the ABC case, there's only two possible markets and six O&O stations each (plus Univision and Telemundo here) that can host a debate (because WMGM or the Atlantic City-licensed infomercial farms certainly aren't), or NJPBS. Both are universally available through NJ, and ABC usually deems it a news event where a simple courtesy is all they need, not this 7-bullet point list to protect a scratch-rating-filled opinion network which has most non-NX stations like 'we're just going to read excerpts and you'll be happy with it, Sook'...plus they were streamed to YouTube live.

And C-SPAN airs most debate, which everyone with cable or satellite has. NX stations posted it to YouTube after the fact and NX refused to provide it to C-SPAN. Nexstar sites, outside of WGN's, are a nightmare to navigate the video from, they refuse to work with any non-IPTV TV news streaming services that people actually use on a big screen, and it's not an acceptable solution when YouTube is the video standard.

I just don't think a debate should be reduced to being limited to one station group, nor should it be on a low-tier station nobody watches just for FCC backpats and brownie points, or should be protected by copyright. It is a public service and shouldn't be subject to overprotective restrictions designed to obstruct constructive use of clips within it. Either put it on the PBS station or a Big Four commercial station in primetime or after the 11 pm news, or don't bother organizing it.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

I just don't think a debate should be reduced to being limited to one station group, nor should it be on a low-tier station nobody watches just for FCC backpats and brownie points, or should be protected by copyright. It is a public service and shouldn't be subject to overprotective restrictions designed to obstruct constructive use of clips within it. Either put it on the PBS station or a Big Four commercial station in primetime or after the 11 pm news, or don't bother organizing it.

I definitely agree with that sentiment, and I’m beginning to understand your point; debates are a public service, and should be treated as such (just as they are for the presidency). In an ideal world, every station would carry (or at least have the option of carrying) a gubernatorial/senate debate live. My broader point was that Nexstar isn’t doing anything radical in having exclusive rights. The network O&Os, Tegna (in TX), and many other station groups have organized similar arrangements in the past. I wouldn’t hate the player (Nexstar), but rather the game (in which political parties allow certain companies to have exclusivity in the first place).

That said, I didn’t realize Nexstar’s guidelines about crediting NewsNation, and I’ll concede that those are excessive. NewsNation isn’t even conducting the debate; the stations are. It would be like NBC requiring other outlets to credit MSNBC for an event covered by NBC News.

• Like 2

I think all debates should be public domain.  During 2019, CNN had two democratic debates, and they didn't even bother uploading live to YouTube or upload it after it was done. They even put copyright claims on people giving commentary about the debates. People should have easy access to the potential nominee's takes on hot-button issues.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/11/2022 at 10:52 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Here's a breakdown on who's airing it. 

Nexstar gets Tampa and Panama City.  Cox gets Jacksonville and Orlando.  WFOR is airing it in Tampa and WBBZ is airing it in Ft. Myers.

All the other Sinclair markets in Florida are airing it on their stations.

You mean WFTS Tampa? Also WBBH Fort Myers is what you probably meant.

And WFOR is in Miami.

• Confused 1

In the last few days, Nexstar and NewsNation have covered debates in Michigan (gubernatorial) and Georgia (senate), with all of the same.  It does feel a little extreme the way that Nexstar is going about it, but then again, some of the races have enough shock value (especially with Herschel Walker flashing a badge) to let Nexstar "own it" so it could come back to haunt them, rather than providing a "clean feed" for others to use at their own will.

• Like 1

Wood TV hosted the governors debate I didn't watch it I had no interest in it will be one more debate next week Oct 25 WXMI Fox17 will air the second debate from Oakland U in Detroit since their sister station WXYZ will be airing it. The first debate wasn't aired in Detroit other than WDIV 4+ app not on the main channels in Detroit. I think the stations think too highly of themselves  should've been aired on one of the main channels not just an app or a website in my opinion. Nexstar's sister station aired the debate in Lansing was aired on 9&10 in Northern Michigan.