The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

Misused as a lukewarm opinion host, I'm going to miss Donlon, but this is an overall positive move for the network. NOT ENOUGH, but going in the right direction, ratings be damned. As for Joe, to be totally honest, there are no immediate vacancies for a 50-something white guy anchor in Chicago, so I'd maybe keep an eye on Portland, where he spent a couple decades at KGW, before his 4-year stint on the northwest side of Chicago.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

New from TVNewser...the 11 p.m. newscast is now permanent along with an hour weekend expansion, a new hour will be added to Morning in America and Rush Hour, and Joe Donlon is gone after next Friday (thus the RH expansion), so start the 'when is WBBM picking him up' spec. All in all, 12 hours of new live programming to be added by Memorial Day to the schedule.

i think if Nexstar buys CW they can convert this into a Network News Division, and convert WGN America to what it supposed to be, Movies, TV, sitcoms, reruns.

On 2/22/2022 at 11:48 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

It's been a while since I've chimed in on this thread....but going back to the ratings post that was posted back in November....

Newsmax getting 5 times the ratings of NewsNation should be setting off the alarm bells.  Nexstar could try to fix this, if they ramped up distribution of NewsNation on OTT platforms,  as digital subchannels, or even simulcasting some programs on their MyNetwork and independent channels.  But they seemed maligned to try and cook what's left of the goose that was WGN America, as people are leaving pay TV in droves, and the network that has 5 times the viewership on NewsNation could be in jeopardy itself if pay tv providers decide to pull the plug for them.

Nexstar really needs to seize this opportunity, because if they don't, the ratings will continue to suck and they will soon have to admit defeat.  It's well past time for Nexstar to get into the 21st century and take the streaming off their web sites and get more into the OTT realm!!!!

I'm also concerned with Nexstar's relation to NBC. It seems like WFLA and WCMH are the only Nexstar stations that seem to be caring about NBC in the slightest bit. They're also well behind their competition in terms of OTT capabilities. These stations do not need NewsNation on them at all. On an unrelated note, I've seen Nexstar leave its largest market stations alone whereas they forcefeed programming on their smaller market stations.

25 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Is NewsNation really changing its name to Matlock?  That seems bizarre.  Unless that press release was taken from The Onion.

It was edited, as a joke, which the original poster should've clarified, when bringing it from the Discord server to the TVNT forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, 24994J said:

It was edited, as a joke, which the original poster should've clarified, when bringing it from the Discord server to the TVNT forum.

I was also mocking the press release billing the lineup changes as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I actually like the moves but they are totally overselling it.

(For those not on the server, NewsNation is referred to meme-wise as “Matlock” because 1) Matlock doesn’t actually air on the channel, 2) the channel’s highest rated programming is the rerun block of JAG and Blue Bloods and 3) the alternative is either crying or continually being very frustrated at something that never lived up to expectations.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

If they do go 24/7 with news, they can kiss that JAG and Blue Bloods audience goodbye (as well that who love In The Heat of the Night).

I can always watch In The Heat of the Night on MeTV and Bounce. BTW, Where's Joe Donlon going to go now that he leaving?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

If they do go 24/7 with news, they can kiss that JAG and Blue Bloods audience goodbye (as well that who love In The Heat of the Night).

I’ve mentioned it on the Discord server but with the “5,500 journalists” and hundreds of TV stations behind them, you’d think that NewsNation would have an inventory of documentaries to run as filler on the weekends instead of a marathon of Last Man Standing reruns.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 24994J said:

Away.

Could Nexstar move him back to WGN or put him on any of their stations?

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

I’ve mentioned it on the Discord server but with the “5,500 journalists” and hundreds of TV stations behind them, you’d think that NewsNation would have an inventory of documentaries to run as filler on the weekends instead of a marathon of Last Man Standing reruns.

Perhaps they should start airing reruns of It's Garry Shandling's Show.  I would watch that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Could Nexstar move him back to WGN or put him on any of their stations?

Perhaps they should start airing reruns of It's Garry Shandling's Show.  I would watch that.

Donlon Making a move back to WGN would sound pointless IMO. Besides Slots for anchors there are full.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 1:58 PM, 24994J said:

Misused as a lukewarm opinion host, I'm going to miss Donlon, but this is an overall positive move for the network. NOT ENOUGH, but going in the right direction, ratings be damned. As for Joe, to be totally honest, there are no immediate vacancies for a 50-something white guy anchor in Chicago, so I'd maybe keep an eye on Portland, where he spent a couple decades at KGW, before his 4-year stint on the northwest side of Chicago.

I wish he'd come back to Portland! But KGW just hired a replacement for the original Joe Donlon replacement who left last summer. (And there's no other apparent openings elsewhere in the market that he'd fit into.)

But I hear Joe has people already knocking on his door, so I wouldn't be worried for him. He made the choice not to renew his contract, so idk if I'd expect to see him on a Nexstar property. But who knows...

• Like 1

With the severe weather that's been crisscrossing the southeast, another missed opportunity for NewsNation to prove it's worth.

Case in point, as parts of New Orleans were being devastated by a violent tornado, WGNO was basically asleep at the wheel covering the weather and then going back into regular programming, while every other station in New Orleans was wall to wall with damage coverage.   Meanwhile on NewsNation, the same old partisan drivel, trying to be another news channel.

I turn on Sinclair's National Desk, and what are they covering....the storm!!!

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

With the severe weather that's been crisscrossing the southeast, another missed opportunity for NewsNation to prove it's worth.

Case in point, as parts of New Orleans were being devastated by a violent tornado, WGNO was basically asleep at the wheel covering the weather and then going back into regular programming, while every other station in New Orleans was wall to wall with damage coverage.   Meanwhile on NewsNation, the same old partisan drivel, trying to be another news channel.

I turn on Sinclair's National Desk, and what are they covering....the storm!!!

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Yep, the moment they ended weeknight weather last year and told Albert Ramon the best they could offer him was weekends, it was all over for any hope of NewsNation covering weather. :(

1 hour ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Summon Tom Skilling (WGN) to pull double duty at NN. Or maybe James Spann, Alabama's favorite weatherman. 😀

Tom Skilling for sure....now if Nexstar lured away James Spann to CBS42, then they could have a chance.

They could have had Alan Sealls (back), but Nexstar sort of bungled his contract at WKRG, which is why he crossed the street to Sinclair and WPMI.

Alan worked at WGN (and later WMAQ) before getting the WKRG chief meteorologist position which he had close to 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 8:48 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

It's been a while since I've chimed in on this thread....but going back to the ratings post that was posted back in November....

Newsmax getting 5 times the ratings of NewsNation should be setting off the alarm bells.  Nexstar could try to fix this, if they ramped up distribution of NewsNation on OTT platforms,  as digital subchannels, or even simulcasting some programs on their MyNetwork and independent channels.  But they seemed maligned to try and cook what's left of the goose that was WGN America, as people are leaving pay TV in droves, and the network that has 5 times the viewership on NewsNation could be in jeopardy itself if pay tv providers decide to pull the plug for them.

Nexstar really needs to seize this opportunity, because if they don't, the ratings will continue to suck and they will soon have to admit defeat.  It's well past time for Nexstar to get into the 21st century and take the streaming off their web sites and get more into the OTT realm!!!!

The ratings still suck. Nothing changes for this loser. 

https://twitter.com/RoadMN/status/1511806759475855360?s=20&t=ktoN2-ZACKkxA7w6O8TJeA

The demos are even worse

https://twitter.com/RoadMN/status/1511807126653517830?s=20&t=ktoN2-ZACKkxA7w6O8TJeA

Edited by CalItalian2

• 4 weeks later...