The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

On 11/18/2021 at 9:20 PM, mrschimpf said:

I was merely comparing the two shows as both being on A&E and how that network keeps going in a downmarket direction with each new show they put out, and saying NewsNation should not be doing that with their programming or trying to court that audience, because it'll end in disaster or irrelevance. 

NewsNation as-is puts out a good, if not extraordinary product, and is hardly 'the worst ever'. Frankly, "Real America's Voice" is the worst 'news' network out there right now...but nobody cares outside its base because it's such a blatantly awful and partisan product (and soured my view on their sister network, WeatherNation). There's also the American News Network from the 2000's, which was an awful network news service with cheap production values. Thankfully that nadir will never be reached again, even by NewsNation.

NewsNation has been irrelevant since day one. What are you talking about? You don't even know. LivePD is the only show that can save NewsNation.

NewsNation is not providing a product that anyone cares to watch. Proven by ratings and impressions. That alone makes it the worst in tv news history. I could care less about quality. Eyeballs & clicks makes you a winner or loser.

WarRoom on Real America's Voice & its streaming platforms get more impressions than NewsNation gets from any of its shows. Real America's Voice is a concept that will work much better in today's environment of streaming & OTA than Nexstar will ever get out of NewsNation.

You really aren't very knowledgeable & your partisan rant means nothing when proven impressions prove you wrong.

Edited by CalItalian2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CalItalian2 said:

Even Jack Posobiec gets more impressions through Apple podcasts & consistently ranks in the top 5 for news/opinion & just started months ago than NewsNation gets in all combined impressions for its top show. Pathetic.

If you don't like something you can just choose to watch something else. There's limitless choice out there for you. There have been much worse newscasts than NewsNation, both in the past and currently, and it's just a plain exaggeration to say it is 'the worst of all time'. Comparing a national cable network to a guy's daily podcast just isn't fair in any metric, which is why no reputable ratings agency would do so.

And I'm just going by this forum and the general public; RAV is an ugly and low-quality partisan product that I wouldn't even be able to enjoy if they were a straight news network, and the lack of buzz or talk about it outside of 'alright, here's what Steve said on his podcast' today check-ins that some poor intern has to grind through proves it.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's quite a stretch to compare impressions of Newsnation and Real America's Voice (which is cringeworthy just to type). Newsnation is a facts-based news effort making an appeal to ALL potential viewers from an unbiased position (that we now know has shifted center-right). RAV is explicitly targeting hard-right viewers with explicitly biased programming, essentially giving viewers what they want to hear. Yes, them having more impressions is indisputable. But one is offering apples and casting a wide net, the other is offering oranges and shooting fish in a barrel. "Why doesn't anybody like my artisan cookie while Miller Lite is selling so well?"

Also, Live PD is not "the only thing possible that could ever save NewsNation". We get that the show is missed, and yes, it's viewership numbers were indisputable. But unless they make it the Live PD channel, one or two hot hours out of a week's worth of programming does not make a smash hit network. Also- production costs? Which carries more liability- Dan Abrams behind a desk in a dark room or a full camera crew riding around with on duty cops? Does anyone think Nexstar wants to spend that money or bear that responsibility?

Edited by PhillyWatch
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, CalItalian2 said:

I predicted that NewsNation would be a complete failure BEFORE its disastrous premiere.

You're right, you HAVE been aggressively and excessively negative on NewsNation since before it premiered. Which makes one wonder if there is some ulterior motivation behind your vitriolic rants in this thread. Whatever, your contributions in this thread have reached near parodic levels at this point.... suggesting that one singular program is literally the only program that could "save" the nascent news network is beyond ridiculous.

• Like 8

On 11/21/2021 at 2:51 AM, LoadStar said:

You're right, you HAVE been aggressively and excessively negative on NewsNation since before it premiered. Which makes one wonder if there is some ulterior motivation behind your vitriolic rants in this thread. Whatever, your contributions in this thread have reached near parodic levels at this point.... suggesting that one singular program is literally the only program that could "save" the nascent news network is beyond ridiculous.

Glad to see how jealous you are. 

The PATHETIC NewsNation ratings continue to FALL even on a HUGE news day. https://twitter.com/RoadMN/status/1462903552427372545?s=20

4 minutes ago, CalItalian2 said:

Glad to see how jealous you are. 

The PATHETIC NewsNation ratings continue to FALL even on a HUGE news day. https://twitter.com/RoadMN/status/1462903552427372545?s=20

Sir... no more slander on this here forum please. We're a divided nation as is, and you need to really see that ratings are truly a thing of the past because of streaming and YouTube. Plus, there are people in Waukesha and across the nation who are hurting and mourning, so stop.

• Thanks 3

On 11/20/2021 at 4:08 PM, PhillyWatch said:

It's quite a stretch to compare impressions of Newsnation and Real America's Voice (which is cringeworthy just to type). Newsnation is a facts-based news effort making an appeal to ALL potential viewers from an unbiased position (that we now know has shifted center-right). RAV is explicitly targeting hard-right viewers with explicitly biased programming, essentially giving viewers what they want to hear. Yes, them having more impressions is indisputable. But one is offering apples and casting a wide net, the other is offering oranges and shooting fish in a barrel. "Why doesn't anybody like my artisan cookie while Miller Lite is selling so well?"

Also, Live PD is not "the only thing possible that could ever save NewsNation". We get that the show is missed, and yes, it's viewership numbers were indisputable. But unless they make it the Live PD channel, one or two hot hours out of a week's worth of programming does not make a smash hit network. Also- production costs? Which carries more liability- Dan Abrams behind a desk in a dark room or a full camera crew riding around with on duty cops? Does anyone think Nexstar wants to spend that money or bear that responsibility?

LOL! I posted the ratings for NewsNation on Friday. A HUGE news day. They continue to fall month after month. And, no, NewsNation is not a facts based news effort in the least with its low rated opinion programming. Really, if you are going to come here and make statements, stop making misleading ones.

Go look at the Apple podcasts rankings for top news podcasts. Every day Steve Bannon's WarRoom is in the Top 10. Show me one NewsNation joke program that even makes it to the top 100 on ANY chart. RAV and Newsmax get it right by offering their products across a spectrum of hosting services. Something Nexstar will never learn. 

Yes, Live PD is the only thing that could save NewsNation. Explain why NewsNation added Abrams & Larkin from LivePD? Nexstar just does not understand that they were not the stars of the show. There is no need for a LivePD channel. A&E didn't exist just on it but it did fuel its ratings rise for other shows throughout the week. LivePD was a very low cost production. You people really have NO CLUE AT ALL!

Good luck (not really) to NewsNation even existing after the heavy rumors of CNN complete retooling come to fruition after Discovery begins control.

41 minutes ago, JosiahCubed said:

Sir... no more slander on this here forum please. We're a divided nation as is, and you need to really see that ratings are truly a thing of the past because of streaming and YouTube. Plus, there are people in Waukesha and across the nation who are hurting and mourning, so stop.

I really don't care about YOUR OPINION. I posted FACTS. You are not. 

Edited by CalItalian2
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2021 at 3:10 PM, mrschimpf said:

If you don't like something you can just choose to watch something else. There's limitless choice out there for you. There have been much worse newscasts than NewsNation, both in the past and currently, and it's just a plain exaggeration to say it is 'the worst of all time'. Comparing a national cable network to a guy's daily podcast just isn't fair in any metric, which is why no reputable ratings agency would do so.

And I'm just going by this forum and the general public; RAV is an ugly and low-quality partisan product that I wouldn't even be able to enjoy if they were a straight news network, and the lack of buzz or talk about it outside of 'alright, here's what Steve said on his podcast' today check-ins that some poor intern has to grind through proves it.

Going by this forum decides what is and isn't a quality network? LOL. That's why most people in tv news are going to lose their jobs this decade. They don't understand today or the future. You especially.

If it wasn't for independent news, a case in Wisconsin would not have been decided on facts. No mainstream network or local outlet was there to cover the events that occured. Independent journalists are beating the mainstream media every single day and the public has noticed.

Apparently the public agrees with me. Do I need to post a chart of how the ratings of NewsNation have not only slid when it was WGN America but has continued to slide throughout this year? It is a FAILURE and that isn't going to change.

RAV gets more viewers from WarRoom, and isn't the only show on RAV that does, than NewsNation gets from any program they carry. Yes, it is rough production wise around the edges but at least it has a huge growing base across multiple platforms. Something that can not be said for any NewsNation program. 

NewsNation is the single BIGGEST failure in the history of tv news. You've just proved it by calling it a national cable network and so did I providing at link to its ratings. Show me one cable news network with its reach that has consistently had ratings as low as it has.

36 minutes ago, JosiahCubed said:

When you want to have a fact based discussion about how LOW the streaming numbers, including YouTube, are for NewsNation, I'll be happy to make a mockery out of your uneducated post again. Really, quit making such ridiculous statements if you can't bring facts. FACTS. Go look at a definition of the word. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CalItalian2 said:

Going by this forum decides what is and isn't a quality network? LOL. That's why most people in tv news are going to lose their jobs this decade. They don't understand today or the future. You especially.

If it wasn't for independent news, a case in Wisconsin would not have been decided on facts. No mainstream network or local outlet was there to cover the events that occured. Independent journalists are beating the mainstream media every single day and the public has noticed.

Apparently the public agrees with me. Do I need to post a chart of how the ratings of NewsNation have not only slid when it was WGN America but has continued to slide throughout this year? It is a FAILURE and that isn't going to change.

RAV gets more viewers from WarRoom, and isn't the only show on RAV that does, than NewsNation gets from any program they carry. Yes, it is rough production wise around the edges but at least it has a huge growing base across multiple platforms. Something that can not be said for any NewsNation program. 

NewsNation is the single BIGGEST failure in the history of tv news. You've just proved it by calling it a national cable network and so did I providing at link to its ratings. Show me one cable news network with its reach that has consistently had ratings as low as it has.

When you want to have a fact based discussion about how LOW the streaming numbers, including YouTube, are for NewsNation, I'll be happy to make a mockery out of your uneducated post again. Really, quit making such ridiculous statements if you can't bring facts. FACTS. Go look at a definition of the word. 

Dude. My great-grandfather and my grandfather, who were both respected journalists (the latter for the Pittsburgh Press and Post-Gazette) would be rolling in their graves with what you're saying.

Just because NewsNation doesn't get good ratings doesn't mean it has a good viewer base from those who go on the website or watch Nexstar affiliates (hi, I'm one of those people). 

But in all seriousness, I know NewsNation has ratings in the tens of thousands; but saying a year after Prime premiered (when it was still 3 hours) that its a huge failure is ridiculous. There were probably people who though Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, Newsmax, or even CBSN wouldn't work; and yet they have.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JosiahCubed said:

Dude. My great-grandfather and my grandfather, who were both respected journalists (the latter for the Pittsburgh Press and Post-Gazette) would be rolling in their graves with what you're saying.

Just because NewsNation doesn't get good ratings doesn't mean it has a good viewer base from those who go on the website or watch Nexstar affiliates (hi, I'm one of those people). 

But in all seriousness, I know NewsNation has ratings in the tens of thousands; but saying a year after Prime premiered (when it was still 3 hours) that its a huge failure is ridiculous. There were probably people who though Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, Newsmax, or even CBSN wouldn't work; and yet they have.

I really don't care about your family. Note how newspapers and their journalists have destroyed their own circulations. Most cities will no longer have a newspaper within 10 years. Local tv news is going the same route. 

NewsNation DOES NOT have a good viewer base. I know. You know that so stop lying. I can prove it and will in this post. CAN YOU? Obviously not.

NewsNation started with the exact same reach as Fox News. Do you even know what that was? It was not a start-up channel. Comparing it to Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, Newsmax...all of which were startup channels EXCEPT MSNBC is simply moronic... CBSN (which is no winner but certainly has better distribution points than NewsNation).

Go look at these demos on a VERY BUSY news day and do yourself a favor, shut up. You don't know anything. NewsNation is the biggest failure in TV news. Hands down.

Edited by CalItalian2
  • Haha 1

So the pivot is from harping on about Live PD to doubling down on NewsNation's small viewership which, again, I don't think anybody can dispute. But comparing NewsNation to Fox? To Newsmax?! Hannity and News Nation Prime are two VERY different shows with completely different objectives and target demos. Which brings me to my next point- maybe the target demos for NN just aren't there. Why are people tuning into Fox and Newsmax? To hear what they want to hear; they love that feedback loop. They're not looking for objective news. And anybody who is has had the last 15 years to find it elsewhere, outside the cable box.

Unfortunately, blowing up WGN America may ultimately prove foolish as it's viewership efforts prove fruitless. Nexstar could have gone the Newsy route- get NN onto diginets on their vast broadcast station footprint, and then work their way toward cable distribution. They could dismiss comparisons to the cable nets by zeroing in on their "local" footprint and relationship with their local stations, or whatever smooth lines they want to use. Instead they have the Detective John Internet chiseling their tombstone and comparing them to Newsmax because... they all have "news" in their name? I don't get it. But here we are!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CalItalian2 said:

Some more FACTS about NewsNation. They make good laughs at the Thanksgiving dinner table.

Okay. I tried to mind my own business in retirement, but here we go:

You sir, have been without a doubt an negative nancy when it comes to NewsNation. I get it, you miss Matlock, In the Heat of the Night etc. Well guess what, Uncle Perry doesn't give a crap if you miss those shows. NewsNation, despite it being a failure is still making profit for Nexstar. So do us a favor, get out of this forum or we will have @Weetersor others throw you out. Capice!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

As a moderator, this thread will be locked if people can't stop repeating long-winded, tired stances. That goes for individuals on both sides of the argument. Failure to abide will result in timeouts.

Understood?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, 24994J said:

As a moderator, this thread will be locked if people can't stop repeating long-winded, tired stances. That goes for individuals on both sides of the argument. Failure to abide will result in timeouts.

Understood?

Sorry, I had to get my piece in especially after hearing about @CalItalian2's rant. Enough is enough.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, freelanceproducer said:

More schedule changes are coming…

3C518534-8F08-45E8-802E-7D8EF5C6FACB.jpeg

Two things;

•"Prime"= Amazon Prime now. Branding confusion with both the name and hashtag of #missingonprime, which leads to...

•It always feels like these 'locate missing people' efforts are designed not to find people, but get out-of-work LEO 'experts' on to blather on about missing person cliches and fill an hour. Michael Corn clearly wants NN to be a 'crime network' in the vein of the '7:30 morning show murder story' rather than a news network.

18 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

Isn't the whole missing person/murder mystery shtick what brought Nancy Grace success on her old HLN show? Oxygen was just entirely revamped recently as a true crime network. How long until it becomes the entirety of the "Prime" hour?

I feel like any time I've glanced at Prime since the Gabby Petito case happened, Prime has only been showing missing persons or other true crime stories. Bear in mind, I only check for like 30 seconds every few weeks. Do they feature anything else on that show anymore?

It's been a while since I've chimed in on this thread....but going back to the ratings post that was posted back in November....

Newsmax getting 5 times the ratings of NewsNation should be setting off the alarm bells.  Nexstar could try to fix this, if they ramped up distribution of NewsNation on OTT platforms,  as digital subchannels, or even simulcasting some programs on their MyNetwork and independent channels.  But they seemed maligned to try and cook what's left of the goose that was WGN America, as people are leaving pay TV in droves, and the network that has 5 times the viewership on NewsNation could be in jeopardy itself if pay tv providers decide to pull the plug for them.

Nexstar really needs to seize this opportunity, because if they don't, the ratings will continue to suck and they will soon have to admit defeat.  It's well past time for Nexstar to get into the 21st century and take the streaming off their web sites and get more into the OTT realm!!!!

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Last night with the Russia Ukraine blowup, it felt like they were not prepared to cover it.  There was a period after the president had finished talking where they went to commercial and took there time coming back from the break at least 5 mins.   

• 3 weeks later...

New from TVNewser...the 11 p.m. newscast is now permanent along with an hour weekend expansion, a new hour will be added to Morning in America and Rush Hour, and Joe Donlon is gone after next Friday (thus the RH expansion), so start the 'when is WBBM picking him up' spec. All in all, 12 hours of new live programming to be added by Memorial Day to the schedule.