The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

42 minutes ago, JosiahCubed said:

You guys really don't want NewsNation to succeed, do you?

Like, I get the ratings on TV aren't great, but look at the YouTube views (and potentially the recordings people may have made on Hulu or YouTube TV); not to mention how many hits the app and website have.

I actually really enjoy NewsNation. The social media views have definitely gone up recently too. I record all NewsNation news programming to watch later on YouTube TV, personally. 

• Like 2

As far as I can see, everyone is bashing NewsNation. Even with the scandals and chaos going around the station, there should be definitely a room for NewsNation for many reasons. First of all, they are quickly finding an audience thru new media outlets and MVPD services, and they are slowly picking up new deals with both traditional and MVPD providers. Second, there is space for a right-leaning news outlet to compensate for the direction Fox News and Newsmax have taken. Maybe you've got executives which have some kind of relationship with a former President, but, as far as I can see, there is not Fox-like rhetoric, and, if they finally make the programming and content right, NewsNation can easily target the more traditional conservative audiences by making their news-based pundit programming as a selling point to disaffected viewers. Finally, they have a larger network of resources (the Nexstar local stations, WGN Radio, The Hill, BestReviews) that they can boost the network's audiences, and make additional programming with an infotainment focus. Live PD could also be a fit for their weekend primetime hours, as one of you suggested, as their direction into true crime-based specials with the Missing in America franchise (which should be spun-off as a weekly show) can also attract viewers. They also need to use more their wasted staff, like Rich McHugh, which could do a semi-regular, long-form investigative series.

The thing is using the Nexstar stations as their only external source is not going to be easy enough to attract an audience, they should use the rest of their national brands and resources to make additional programming. The other problem is that their transitional Blue Bloods/news/opinion schedule is making both audiences and advertisers to go away from the network. They should go all-news/opinion/infotainment as fast as they need to build an audience.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

You guys really don't want NewsNation to succeed, do you?

Like, I get the ratings on TV aren't great, but look at the YouTube views (and potentially the recordings people may have made on Hulu or YouTube TV); not to mention how many hits the app and website have.

Ok, let’s take a look at the YouTube views. I see a couple with views in the thousands, but many are under 1,000 views, some don’t even have 500. 

EDIT: I even flipped it to Most Popular and the numbers aren’t that exciting. Only one with over a million views, four  over 500K. 

I don’t know what any potential recording numbers might be. Does anyone release Live +7 numbers for NN? How much of their content is worth saving or binging?

I also don’t know their app/website activity. 

If you do, please feel free to share what you have.

It’s not that I don’t want NN to succeed, but they’re not exactly doing anything particularly exciting or different, so what’s the point of it? Did the world need yet another talking head channel?

Edited by mightynine

I don’t want NewsNation to fail either. In fact, a year ago I pointed out that people were calling for NN to shut down, but nobody was calling for Newsy to shudder even though their cable numbers were lower. Just because I make a joke about their crummy set doesn’t mean I’m bashing them. I actually think the idea behind Abrams’ show is great: a host that respects people with other opinions, instead of calling them stupid.

The problem is that isn’t NewsNation’s original mission: to bring a straight news program on cable. Instead it’s now the same type of content people already get elsewhere, just less rabid. 

Another problem is that their primary medium is cable TV. My parents cancelled their cable, and I'm not paying $60/month for Youtube TV or Hulu Live, just for the channel to get pulled during an inevitable Nexstar retrans fight. Cable TV is a declining business. Why do you think Newsy is prioritizing streaming and over-the-air? It's good they post a bunch of their stuff on Youtube to make it more accessible, but unfortunately their cable channel is coming first, which isn't great for growth.

As for their website, SimilarWeb, a website analytics company, says NewsNation's site gets over 1 million total visits a month. Some of Nexstar's stronger stations, like KHON, WHNT, and WREG, get around 2 million. However, those stations have been around for decades, and NN is only one year old, so that million is nothing to scoff at. 

• Like 4

I'm really not liking that they now have their ticker in primetime. Morning I can understand; primetime is a white flag saying they could cover these other scrolling stories in detail, but they won't because they need to get Dog's tacky "Where in the World is Brian Launderie?" search more airtime (and that he's kept in touch with Nexstar despite his WGNA show being cancelled).

Effective this weekend that just ended, the weekend edition of NewsNation Prime has been shifted an hour later from 7pm ET-9pm ET to 8pm ET-10pm ET.

Also, although the intro still displays Gerard Jebaily's name, the weather is indeed being delivered by Albert Ramon, presumably at least for however long Gerard's gig on the morning show lasts.

Either this arrangement becomes permanent after some amount of time, or we'll see some sort of staffing changes if and when a permanent morning weather person is hired and if they indeed choose to not bring back weather on the weeknights at all.

Edited by Spring Rubber

I freaking knew it. The way that the network discontinued weeknight weather segments and dumped him off to the weekends was surely NOT what Albert signed up for a year ago. The minute they gave the weekday morning position to Gerard and not Albert, I figured Albert would not be long for NewsNation. The only thing that surprised me was that it came so soon, after only working one weekend (this past weekend). Hopefully this means he was able to secure another job somewhere. Best of luck to him, and hopefully the next place that hires him actually lets him stay in the position for which he was hired for more than one year.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 9:03 AM, Spring Rubber said:

I freaking knew it. The way that the network discontinued weeknight weather segments and dumped him off to the weekends was surely NOT what Albert signed up for a year ago. The minute they gave the weekday morning position to Gerard and not Albert, I figured Albert would not be long for NewsNation. The only thing that surprised me was that it came so soon, after only working one weekend (this past weekend). Hopefully this means he was able to secure another job somewhere. Best of luck to him, and hopefully the next place that hires him actually lets him stay in the position for which he was hired for more than one year.

Albert has now jumped over to CBS 2 Chicago

3C82DA42-F451-44E9-A04A-03A15F707412.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 11:47 PM, polyiguana said:

Today on Dan Abrams one of his guests pined for Live PD to come back and Abrams said he was working on it every day. Quite frankly, they should run Live PD after Prime on Saturday, and Sunday nights for two or three hours, and rename Abrams' show to something more generic with someone else hosting earlier in the week. The general perception is that NewsNation leans right anyway. 

No. It should run Friday & Saturday nights for three hours. You clearly don't understand why. But those are the only two nights it works.

On 9/23/2021 at 5:28 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

To be honest, I bet Live PD would draw better ratings on NewsNation than any of their programming, as it was number 1 in primetime on its respective days before A&E canned it last year.

The current Abrams, Larkin show is a DUD. Get rid of it immediately. It has zero chance of ever being successful.

Live PD is the only show that would put NewsNation on the map. But like A&E was doing, many other shows related to it would be created because of it. NewsNation would have to rebuild itself around those shows. Live PD is the only show that will put NewsNation on the map. Otherwise it will continue to be a utterly complete failure & joke of the broadcast news industry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CalItalian2 said:

No. It should run Friday & Saturday nights for three hours. You clearly don't understand why. But those are the only two nights it works.

The current Abrams, Larkin show is a DUD. Get rid of it immediately. It has zero chance of ever being successful.

Live PD is the only show that would put NewsNation on the map. But like A&E was doing, many other shows related to it would be created because of it. NewsNation would have to rebuild itself around those shows. Live PD is the only show that will put NewsNation on the map. Otherwise it will continue to be a utterly complete failure & joke of the broadcast news industry.

Put Live PD on and maybe revive its spinoffs and Newsnation will be in the top 10 in the ratings. It would probably one of the few things needed to keep a cable/satellite subscription as it would offer something no other network or streaming service would have. Do the 9-midnight slot Fridays and Saturdays and re-air it from midnight-3 AM, and maybe run highlights of last week's shows before the new episode airs, just like A&E did. The ratings would be on par with live sports that evening. It was that way until its cancellation.  

• Like 1

Reviving the live version of “COPS” will do nothing to build NewsNation’s credibility as a news network. That’s like saying because the stadium sells the best hotdogs the team will be the best in the league. Yes, viewership may increase. We can’t discount the numbers Live PD was pulling. But that’s comparing apples to oranges when it comes to building the credibility and respectability of the NewsNation product. Let’s not conflate the two. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CalItalian2 said:

Live PD is the only show that would put NewsNation on the map. But like A&E was doing, many other shows related to it would be created because of it. NewsNation would have to rebuild itself around those shows. Live PD is the only show that will put NewsNation on the map.

WGNA already tried that with Dog, and it bombed because he was regarded as 'leftovers from A&E', and rightfully so (which is why outside the quick pop during the Laundrie case, he's back to irrelevancy). When A&E took off Live PD, it revealed a network over-dependent on one show that had a schedule built on nothing, and now it's struggling. Same with MTV/Ridiculousness.

The cable networks that remain strong don't depend on one show or one type of show to keep themselves going, like USA, TNT or HGTV, and right now, it's all but counting the days until finally, the A&E's, Viacoms and NBCUs can no longer justify keeping FYI, MTV2 or Oxygen going because they're throwing empty money at non-existent audiences. Nexstar is trying to mine any value out of NN they can...and they won't do that picking up another network's leftovers. Eventually, we'll see if NN is around in another couple years, or there will be a merger down the line with another low-end outfit like Real America's Voice or Newsmax, or they take on the FAST model and put their network up on Pluto, Stirr, Tubi or the smart TV channel portals.

Edited by mrschimpf

1 hour ago, SS8609 said:

I believe that deal only pertains to productions of Law & Crime network and not to any other work that Dan Abrams does outside of Law & Crime, unless there's documentation to the contrary...

On 11/15/2021 at 4:50 PM, SS8609 said:

Dan Abrams works for multiple networks and Live PD has nothing to do with that. 

On 11/7/2021 at 9:55 PM, Megatron81 said:

It would be smart of News Nation to put Live PD on the weekends in the same timeslot where it was on A&E which they were wrong to cancel it.

It was on Friday and Saturday nights. Occasionally appeared on other weeknights. 

On 11/2/2021 at 3:14 AM, mrschimpf said:

WGNA already tried that with Dog, and it bombed because he was regarded as 'leftovers from A&E', and rightfully so (which is why outside the quick pop during the Laundrie case, he's back to irrelevancy). When A&E took off Live PD, it revealed a network over-dependent on one show that had a schedule built on nothing, and now it's struggling. Same with MTV/Ridiculousness.

The cable networks that remain strong don't depend on one show or one type of show to keep themselves going, like USA, TNT or HGTV, and right now, it's all but counting the days until finally, the A&E's, Viacoms and NBCUs can no longer justify keeping FYI, MTV2 or Oxygen going because they're throwing empty money at non-existent audiences. Nexstar is trying to mine any value out of NN they can...and they won't do that picking up another network's leftovers. Eventually, we'll see if NN is around in another couple years, or there will be a merger down the line with another low-end outfit like Real America's Voice or Newsmax, or they take on the FAST model and put their network up on Pluto, Stirr, Tubi or the smart TV channel portals.

You are comparing Dog the Bounty Hunter with LIVE PD? LOL!!!!! You clearly don't understand a thing.

NewsNation is beyond struggling and will never amount to anything. It has nothing redeeming about it. It's the biggest loser in tv news history.

Live PD is the only show that can give it ANY exposure. 

• Haha 1

What about a show like Live PD but with news stringers? I watch on Youtube (or running in the background) the stringers in NY and its interesting - this show would monitor stringer activity across the country (or world) and put on the most interesting thing happening at that moment

17 minutes ago, dabx said:

What about a show like Live PD but with news stringers? I watch on Youtube (or running in the background) the stringers in NY and its interesting - this show would monitor stringer activity across the country (or world) and put on the most interesting thing happening at that moment

This show existed... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0965445/

15 hours ago, CalItalian2 said:

You are comparing Dog the Bounty Hunter with LIVE PD? LOL!!!!! You clearly don't understand a thing.

NewsNation is beyond struggling and will never amount to anything. It has nothing redeeming about it. It's the biggest loser in tv news history.

Live PD is the only show that can give it ANY exposure. 

It would be ideal if we could express our opinions without making a personal attack or judgement. I find posts from @mrschimpf to be knowledgeable and extremely sound from a business perspective. Not everyone may agree but to say someone "doesn't understand a thing" seems unnecessarily personal. 

For example, I don't know how one can predict that NewsNation "will never amount to anything" and I think it is overheated rhetoric to claim it is "the biggest loser in tv news history." MSNBC had a decade of failed shows before they hit their stride and the basement dweller that is the CBS News morning show certainly has to be in contention...both are still in business by the way. Lastly, I can't believe that one single show, Live PD, is the ONLY show that could deliver exposure. That seems extremely limiting. It is a wide world, there must be other ideas out there. My point is while I do not agree with your point of view, I do respect you as a person and your right to feel differently than me. 

For the record, I don't know mrschimpf. Just didn't like what I perceived as an attack. They might not even have noticed or cared.  

Edited by carolinanews4
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, carolinanews4 said:

It would be ideal if we could express our opinions without making a person attack or judgement. I find posts from @mrschimpf to be knowledgeable and extremely sound from a business perspective. Not everyone may agree but to say someone "doesn't understand a thing" seems unnecessarily personal. 

For example, I don't know how one can predict that NewsNation "will never amount to anything" and I think it is overheated rhetoric to claim it is "the biggest loser in tv news history." MSNBC had a decade of failed shows before they hit their stride and the basement dweller that is the CBS News morning show certainly has to be in contention...both are still in business by the way. Lastly, I can't believe that one single show, Live PD, is the ONLY show that could deliver exposure. That seems extremely limiting. It is a wide world, there must be other ideas out there. My point is while I do not agree with your point of view, I do respect you as a person and your right to feel differently than me. 

For the record, I don't know mrschimpf. Just didn't like what I perceived as an attack. They might not even have noticed or cared.  

I agree completely.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

I was merely comparing the two shows as both being on A&E and how that network keeps going in a downmarket direction with each new show they put out, and saying NewsNation should not be doing that with their programming or trying to court that audience, because it'll end in disaster or irrelevance. 

NewsNation as-is puts out a good, if not extraordinary product, and is hardly 'the worst ever'. Frankly, "Real America's Voice" is the worst 'news' network out there right now...but nobody cares outside its base because it's such a blatantly awful and partisan product (and soured my view on their sister network, WeatherNation). There's also the American News Network from the 2000's, which was an awful network news service with cheap production values. Thankfully that nadir will never be reached again, even by NewsNation.

On 11/18/2021 at 5:20 PM, carolinanews4 said:

It would be ideal if we could express our opinions without making a personal attack or judgement. I find posts from @mrschimpf to be knowledgeable and extremely sound from a business perspective. Not everyone may agree but to say someone "doesn't understand a thing" seems unnecessarily personal. 

Quite frankly, I don't care in the least what you think about me or what I wrote.

I predicted that NewsNation would be a complete failure BEFORE its disastrous premiere. It was an unneeded, poorly timed, horribly executed concept that has only gotten worse as it limps along as the biggest disaster in tv news history. Period. I stand behind all my statements 100% and they are proven to be correct.

WGN America had nearly full cable penetration & a fully developed social media presence before Nexstar destroyed it. MSNBC did not - coming off as a low rated talk cable network with few cable/satellite subscriptions & unfavorable channel positions. Why are you making such a laughable comparison between the two?

In today's environment of cable & satellite subscribers ditching cable for streaming, OTT, and with Nexstar having no relationships with the top streaming providers, you better have a hit show to anchor your channel or you are nothing but a unwatchable, unneeded disaster. Even Jack Posobiec gets more impressions through Apple podcasts & consistently ranks in the top 5 for news/opinion & just started months ago than NewsNation gets in all combined impressions for its top show. Pathetic.

Edited by CalItalian2
  • Confused 2