The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

On 9/15/2021 at 2:43 PM, CLETVFan said:

There are also billboards up on NewsNation and I just find the campaign, whatever it is, a bit confusing.

It's also confusing to see a channel known as NewsNation still airing reruns of "In The Heat of The Night" and movies like "Vacation."  They were better off keeping it as WGN if the lineup is not going to be all news.

Gee, I wonder who made that argument like a year ago 🤔 

NewsNation was destined to be a failure before it even started. It will never amount to anything but being the biggest joke ever conceived by a TV station group owner.

Now, they're trying to court the Live PD audience for Dan Abrams news analysis show by throwing "Sticks" on it. Just moronic. These fools at Nexstar couldn't sell ice cream on 110 degree day because they clearly know nothing about marketing. Idiots.

3 hours ago, CalItalian2 said:

Gee, I wonder who made that argument like a year ago 🤔 

NewsNation was destined to be a failure before it even started. It will never amount to anything but being the biggest joke ever conceived by a TV station group owner.

Now, they're trying to court the Live PD audience for Dan Abrams news analysis show by throwing "Sticks" on it. Just moronic. These fools at Nexstar couldn't sell ice cream on 110 degree day because they clearly know nothing about marketing. Idiots.

To be honest, I bet Live PD would draw better ratings on NewsNation than any of their programming, as it was number 1 in primetime on its respective days before A&E canned it last year.

I have to wonder, was the inspiration for "Morning in America" the 1984 campaign slogan of the same name that Ronald Reagan used?

You know, since NewsNation is supposed to be a "fair and balanced" news operation?

Just give Tom Skilling his own show.  Bring Bozo out of retirement.  And it may be easy to wrestle back the Cubs from the Sinclair/Diamond dumpster fire that is "Marquee".  The ratings would go through the roof!

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:28 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

To be honest, I bet Live PD would draw better ratings on NewsNation than any of their programming, as it was number 1 in primetime on its respective days before A&E canned it last year.

I would not be surprised if NewsNation picks up Live PD as an attempt to boost ratings.

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

I would not be surprised if NewsNation picks up Live PD as an attempt to boost ratings.

I did find it interesting that they have "Live PD night" on Banfield almost every Friday night where they interview former officers from the show along with other members of law enforcement. The most surprising thing is that they openly use the "Live PD" name on the segment branding and have not yet (to my knowledge) received a Cease & Desist from either A&E or Big Fish Entertainment (not sure which party owns the rights to the name of the show). I would have figured they would have been hit with a C&D pretty quickly, unless of course they already obtained the rights to the show name without a public announcement being made yet. 👀

Edited by Spring Rubber

17 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I did find it interesting that they have "Live PD night" on Banfield almost every Friday night where they interview former officers from the show along with other members of law enforcement. The most surprising thing is that they openly use the "Live PD" name on the segment branding and have not yet (to my knowledge) received a Cease & Desist from either A&E or Big Fish Entertainment (not sure which party owns the rights to the name of the show). I would have figured they would have been hit with a C&D pretty quickly, unless of course they already obtained the rights to the show name without a public announcement being made yet. 👀

A&E owned the copyright, and Big Fish produced it, so I'm thinking Big Fish has the rights to the Live PD name.

Wow, so Gerard Jebaily is the one delivering the weather on the morning show. Where does that leave Albert Ramon then? Pushed to weekends, if anything? I don't believe there's a weather segment on weekday Prime anymore, now that the weekday show has become more about interviews (aka what you'd typically find on cable news, compared to the old local news format). At least when I watched two days last week, I didn't see a weather segment.

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Wow, so Gerard Jebaily is the one delivering the weather on the morning show. Where does that leave Albert Ramon then? Pushed to weekends, if anything? I don't believe there's a weather segment on weekday Prime anymore, now that the weekday show has become more about interviews (aka what you'd typically find on cable news, compared to the old local news format). At least when I watched two days last week, I didn't see a weather segment.

Ramon remains chief meteorologist, according to the network, so I assume he is still their big primetime met. I think it makes sense that you may not have seen him as much last week with so much coverage of Gabby Petito, but would expect Albert to show up as hurricanes pop up/severe weather. 

I don't know how much to buy much of what FTVlive says, as I have my own opinions of him, but he reported last week that the morning show was struggling to find a met. They were attempting an outside hire, so it's possible Gerard is temporary until they can hire a full-time morning met. 

3 hours ago, followingnews said:

Ramon remains chief meteorologist, according to the network, so I assume he is still their big primetime met. I think it makes sense that you may not have seen him as much last week with so much coverage of Gabby Petito, but would expect Albert to show up as hurricanes pop up/severe weather. 

I don't know how much to buy much of what FTVlive says, as I have my own opinions of him, but he reported last week that the morning show was struggling to find a met. They were attempting an outside hire, so it's possible Gerard is temporary until they can hire a full-time morning met. 

If they do retain Ramon in a regular on-air role, I would have to think it might make more sense to add a weather segment with him to Rush Hour, maybe just one time per show somewhere around :45 past, as having a weather segment seems more in-tune with the "Live news" theme of Rush Hour, compared to Prime where the theme is evolving more toward longer, in-depth stories with longer interviews. If they do bring him back for nightly segments on Prime, that's great too, but I do think he could stand to have a daily weather segment on Rush Hour.

Side note: On-air advertising confirms that the "Prime" name is staying the same. Looks like the earlier consideration of rebranding it to "NewsNation with Marni Hughes" has been abandoned.

• Like 1

Here’s a couple of pics of ‘Morning in America.’  Like when NewsNation started last September they, ad nauseam, say they’re committed to unbiased reporting, no opinion, etc.. however; Adrienne has no problem offering up her opinions on anything and everything. 

She can get a little annoying, so hopefully she’ll settle herself a bit and take a breath. 

B54954A1-F18C-43B4-A382-C1549C97183D.thumb.jpeg.be9b0e0c57b0df8328203bb1b21f6a16.jpeg
63808485-B9D4-484F-A343-634C4CE90CD4.thumb.jpeg.658fd1870677effba7fdbefcd99a0437.jpegF72F2D06-7F7C-43F9-A826-C3A953AADC8B.thumb.jpeg.3ec7da28643a7307bc171f365fcd48b5.jpeg43EE6B16-02C8-4379-A5FC-8D0EB83D4565.thumb.jpeg.797050733841d9cdd4da710fd05dd8db.jpeg89526419-09E0-4DF3-A062-CB8E7764C238.thumb.jpeg.d9c9c47decc9c5b0d1821f3cdf93241c.jpeg
B4898DBA-E255-47B8-8CA6-C437CCF65CEC.thumb.jpeg.1a3282b6f865d5ee58406dc2655d7134.jpeg

E6FBEEE9-5DF1-4C32-8834-6C97CE6D96DC.jpeg

Edited by jase

I haven't watched Morning In America with the audio on yet, but the presentation space looks nice.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the tiny "set" being used for Dan Abrams Live, but I don't think all of the dark black background space looks very good in the way they're implementing it. Definitely looks like a limited space, limited budget issue.

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I haven't watched Morning In America with the audio on yet, but the presentation space looks nice.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the tiny "set" being used for Dan Abrams Live, but I don't think all of the dark black background space looks very good in the way they're implementing it. Definitely looks like a limited space, limited budget issue.

Do we know where Dan is doing his show from? I know they have their big studios in Chicago, but I assume Dan is in New York City? So I assume he's using space at maybe their local station? I know Banfield was/is doing her show from Connecticut. 

4 hours ago, followingnews said:

Do we know where Dan is doing his show from? I know they have their big studios in Chicago, but I assume Dan is in New York City? So I assume he's using space at maybe their local station? I know Banfield was/is doing her show from Connecticut. 

Is it the same space used for Law & Crime? No station airs his shows around here (and I avoid Mediate and their sister sites because their ads are obnoxious), so I have no reference.

6 hours ago, followingnews said:

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

Is it the same space used for Law & Crime? No station airs his shows around here (and I avoid Mediate and their sister sites because their ads are obnoxious), so I have no reference.

Abrams show is filmed in the same building (Daily News Building) as WPIX. Where exactly is unclear.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jase said:

Abrams show is filmed in the same building (Daily News Building) as WPIX. Where exactly is unclear.

As I said above, my guess is their broom closet. However, NewscastStudio says the final setup is still to come. Hopefully they can add more brightness or texture to the dark areas so it can look less desolate. 

Also, Dan Abrams’ own website Mediaite has posted yesterday’s ratings. Morning in America averaged 12k viewers and Dan Abrams Live got 43k viewers. 

Today on Dan Abrams one of his guests pined for Live PD to come back and Abrams said he was working on it every day. Quite frankly, they should run Live PD after Prime on Saturday, and Sunday nights for two or three hours, and rename Abrams' show to something more generic with someone else hosting earlier in the week. The general perception is that NewsNation leans right anyway. 

You guys really don't want NewsNation to succeed, do you?

Like, I get the ratings on TV aren't great, but look at the YouTube views (and potentially the recordings people may have made on Hulu or YouTube TV); not to mention how many hits the app and website have.

• Thanks 3