The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

And as I was watching last night's Banfield (on YouTube early this morning); it appears Ashleigh is now anchoring live from the Chicago studio rather than pre-recorded in her home in Connecticut. It's either that, or a one-off because of the interview with Rod Blagojevich.

NewsNation's new morning show:

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2021/08/16/morning-in-america-newsnation-teaser/

Nexstar’s struggling NewsNation channel has begun airing tease promos for its new morning newscast “Morning in America” that’s launching in the fall of 2021.

The three hour show will be anchored by Adrienne Bankert, a former ABC News correspondent.

In the promo, a collection of the not so fun parts of the morning are shown along with the on screen text “Mornings don’t have to be miserable.”

Following this are clips of cheerful people doing cheerful things, followed by “Wake up happy.” 

morning-in-america-promo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

NN couldn’t own the Afghanistan story because of their limited resources over seas. While the other networks are owning this, let them. NN move in and own Ida. Own it. Stay on the air, own it. You have the resources to even share live station coverage like HLN used to do did it. 

• Like 5

I am so mad. I don’t understand why you have a network named NewsNation which brags about the newsrooms you have across the country and be showing syndicated programming during one of the worst storms to hit LA. They literally have more reporters on the ground versus any network. Use them. Do affiliate coverage. Jesus. It’s not hard.This doesn’t help your cause. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Renaming the network to NewsNation when you have a fixed schedule with just a few hours of news per day is so ridiculous. Sad to see that they don't even cover any type of breaking news that happens during the day, now almost one year after the network started doing news.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sendir said:

I am so mad. I don’t understand why you have a network named NewsNation which brags about the newsrooms you have across the country and be showing syndicated programming during one of the worst storms to hit LA. They literally have more reporters on the ground versus any network. Use them. Do affiliate coverage. Jesus. It’s not hard.This doesn’t help your cause. 

Frankly, I think they're afraid to cut ties with the loyal viewers of Blue Bloods and Last Man Standing, as they get higher ratings and ad revenue than the news!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hmaxhanson said:

Frankly, I think they're afraid to cut ties with the loyal viewers of Blue Bloods and Last Man Standing, as they get higher ratings and ad revenue than the news!

There'd be lots of complaints if they interrupt Blue Bloods or Last Man Standing, even though they're reruns.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 10:09 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

There'd be lots of complaints if they interrupt Blue Bloods or Last Man Standing, even though they're reruns.

And that’s what we are going with for a network called NewsNation?

Edited by Sendir
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 10:34 AM, Sendir said:

Seconded.

• 2 weeks later...

So, now that the program guide for two weeks out is published, it looks like come September 27th, the remainder of the evening shows will survive. Everything before 8pm ET will shift one hour earlier than it currently is, while NewsNation Prime will be rebranded as "NewsNation with Marni Hughes"

(Times in my guide shown in Central)

20210913_235211_HDR.jpg

20210913_235145_HDR.jpg

34 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

So, now that the program guide for two weeks out is published, it looks like come September 27th, the remainder of the evening shows will survive. Everything before 8pm ET will shift one hour earlier than it currently is, while NewsNation Prime will be rebranded as "NewsNation with Marni Hughes"

(Times in my guide shown in Central)

20210913_235211_HDR.jpg

20210913_235145_HDR.jpg

Sounds like political commentary.

It looks like Rob Nelson has found a new home pretty quickly, and for the second time in about a year he'll be one of the launch faces of a new news endeavor- he'll be anchoring weekdays on the new OTA version of Scripps' Newsy network. 

Here's a TVNewsCheck article, and one from TVNewser.

Good for him. I wanted NewsNation to work so badly, but it feels like they've done so little to harness the power of their vast local station presence. Instead they devote an entire hour... to Leland Vittert?

Here's hoping Scripps takes note of how how badly Nexstar bungled this. I'm looking forward to the new Newsy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are also billboards up on NewsNation and I just find the campaign, whatever it is, a bit confusing.

It's also confusing to see a channel known as NewsNation still airing reruns of "In The Heat of The Night" and movies like "Vacation."  They were better off keeping it as WGN if the lineup is not going to be all news.

3 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

There are also billboards up on NewsNation and I just find the campaign, whatever it is, a bit confusing.

It's also confusing to see a channel known as NewsNation still airing reruns of "In The Heat of The Night" and movies like "Vacation."  They were better off keeping it as WGN if the lineup is not going to be all news.

Nexstar is waiting for syndication rights on the shows and movies to run out, which could be a while. That's why its taking so long for shows like In The Heat of the Night to stop airing.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

Nexstar is waiting for syndication rights on the shows and movies to run out, which could be a while. That's why its taking so long for shows like In The Heat of the Night to stop airing.

I'm wondering if they've tried to sell out their rights to other networks, and failed as their program mix skews very old and there's no true place they can go outside Pop. And they can't go to Rewind because they're cable-only rights.

They have been getting tons of views on their YouTube lately due to their Gabby Petito coverage. Some of their videos are getting tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of views and they're getting a ton of new subscribers from it too. I wonder if their social media continues to grow, if they'll make any strategy changes (focusing more on digital), or whether they can convert any social media viewers to TV viewers.

They also have been posting full videos of their shows to their YouTube over the past months. This represented a different strategy for sure, and I think a positive one. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Oh, did they actually break into their programming this afternoon? Was it wall-to-wall coverage or just a quick update?

Sorry. Via app notification. I didn’t turn on the tv. I was watching football. Lol

On 9/17/2021 at 8:41 PM, MikeBucc said:

I honestly don’t understand why they don’t try to put more News Nation programing on FOX/CW affiliates that Nexstar owns. Wouldn’t it be the best way to promote the network?

While this is a great idea, I believe it would run afoul of cable exclusivity contracts. It would be difficult to lift News Nation programming off the cable network and put it on a broadcast channel because the cable operator would complain that a program they charge customers to watch is being given away for free simultaneously on a broadcast channel. A few select simulcasts to create awareness at launch? No big deal. A regularly scheduled broadcast? A much bigger challenge.

It is the same reason why so many on-demand apps used to require you to authenticate that you were a cable customer before you could watch shows from channels like USA or TNT. Cable operators didn't want the content being given away for free which is why they developed TV Everywhere. Now, of course, cable operators are being cut out of the content ecosystem as Peacock and HBO Max offer those USA and TNT shows direct to consumers. (Just using two random channels as examples)