The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Dan Abrams show is a weekly show and launches Sept 27th a Monday. I am thinking its just going to be a Monday night show at 8pm. On Balance will be Tues-Fri

Some sites are stating Dan Abrams will be a weekly show and others weeknights. 

Variety says it’s nightly, so I trust they’re correct. Otherwise, what’s the point of having Abrams on one day a week? On Balance could easily move to weekends. 

NewsNation seems to be at a loss for what to do with their graphics. Just 4 weeks ago on June 21st, they moved away from their initial dark blue and white look and switched to a light blue and white look, including a new bug.

June 20th: 

June 21st:

Now today on July 19th with the new programming revamp, they've switched to a mostly white look with dark blue text and red accents, while keeping the same bug.

This seems to take cues from other cable news networks, where it seems like white backgrounds with red accents is the typical standard. I assume market research has determined that it catches eyes more than dark blue and other more muted colors.

Also, with that new bug seems to have come a modified NewsNation logo where the text is more spaced apart. It looks weird seeing the old version of the logo (in the form of the NewsNation Prime logo) stacked right above it on screen.

Edit: While every other show on the network has gotten the new white lower thirds, it looks as though Banfield is still on the original dark blue lower thirds. Interesting that they decided to keep one show on the old look.

Edited by Spring Rubber
  • Like 1

Huh, weird. Tonight's edition of Banfield features the June 21st-July 18th light blue graphics. It's being touted as a new episode, just like last night's show, so I'm assuming that Banfield is produced way in advance and then aired new at a later date? That said, I bet the new white graphics will start showing up in the coming weeks on that show.

10 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Huh, weird. Tonight's edition of Banfield features the June 21st-July 18th light blue graphics. It's being touted as a new episode, just like last night's show, so I'm assuming that Banfield is produced way in advance and then aired new at a later date? That said, I bet the new white graphics will start showing up in the coming weeks on that show.

Banfield is normally produced 2 hours ahead of time, as it’s normally still light out in some of the camera feeds of guests.

9 minutes ago, newsman123 said:

Omg does it matter? NO ONE is watching. Literally no one. This network is DOA. 

1,000 people are watching it. 

I think Perry is in denial. The digital team at NN kills it. They have a a lot of app downloads and a ton of traffic on their website. They believe it was from the cable channel touting these tools because they are so focused in on “tv”.  In reality they just got lucky in the SEO world and no one is giving the digital team credit. When you go to the App Store and type in News … well, NN pops up because their name is… News. The Sr Management just think the ratings is incorrect because how could their digital being doing so well but tv not doing so well… welcome to 2021. Same reason NewsBreak has so many downloads and makes good money in the programmatic space yet they are only an aggregator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sendir said:

1,000 people are watching it. 

I think Perry is in denial. The digital team at NN kills it. They have a a lot of app downloads and a ton of traffic on their website. They believe it was from the cable channel touting these tools because they are so focused in on “tv”.  In reality they just got lucky in the SEO world and no one is giving the digital team credit. When you go to the App Store and type in News … well, NN pops up because their name is… News. The Sr Management just think the ratings is incorrect because how could their digital being doing so well but tv not doing so well… welcome to 2021. Same reason NewsBreak has so many downloads and makes good money in the programmatic space yet they are only an aggregator.

Interesting, I never realized that they were actually finding success on the digital side as a new entry into the arena. In that case, I do hope they keep it up and that management doesn't shoot their digital side in the foot while the TV arm falters.

12 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Interesting, I never realized that they were actually finding success on the digital side as a new entry into the arena. In that case, I do hope they keep it up and that management doesn't shoot their digital side in the foot while the TV arm falters.

Yeah. The NewsNation Now app has an average of 4.4 stars on the App Store, and an average of 4.1 on Google Play. 50,000+ downloads from Google Play, but unknown how many have downloaded it from the App Store.

On 7/20/2021 at 7:10 PM, Spring Rubber said:

Those were "very special episodes" of Banfield which were pre-taped. Adrienne Bankert hosted the last couple of nights.

As far as Leland Vittert I know he is trying to be edgy but we really don't need his opinions on Rush Hour. And it is interesting that NN is going back to putting full shows on their Youtube, maybe for those who have actual cable subscriptions but can't access NN because of Nexstar not granting access (hello Spectrum). 

NN's new topicals wedged into the local TV station news time are long. An anchor intro is required. The topical itself is around 40-45 seconds. Then you have to slap a full screen with the cable channel directory for News Nation. That's a full minute out of news time. The first one teases Donlon and Vittert. The second one is Vittert and Banfield.

Edited by TheRob

I don’t understand the backwards thinking. NN has a TON more users on digital versus on TV. That’s been previously reported. That’s why they push out app alerts like crazy to try to push people to the Cable Channel (yawn). But it’s the same with local news. More people have their apps downloaded. Stop looking at this backwards. Stop promoting a newscast in a newscast to switch to another channel when the end user is just not going to. It’s only checking a checkmark for Perry. If Perry understood audience sizes he would make every local station app push to the new programming on NN and have a live stream embedded in apps just like CBSN or NBC NEWS NOW. 

Data. Science. Work smarter. Not harder. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sendir said:

I don’t understand the backwards thinking. NN has a TON more users on digital versus on TV. That’s been previously reported. That’s why they push out app alerts like crazy to try to push people to the Cable Channel (yawn). But it’s the same with local news. More people have their apps downloaded. Stop looking at this backwards. Stop promoting a newscast in a newscast to switch to another channel when the end user is just not going to. It’s only checking a checkmark for Perry. If Perry understood audience sizes he would make every local station app push to the new programming on NN and have a live stream embedded in apps just like CBSN or NBC NEWS NOW. 

Data. Science. Work smarter. Not harder. 

I haven’t been able to understand why Nexstar and NewsNation didn’t just launch as an OTT streaming channel.

NewsNation truly is a good product - the tv audience just doesn’t exist. 

Nexstar’s internal catchphrases is “digital first” - yet they did the opposite here. When every other media company is pouring money, people, and effort into streaming vs linear tv - they did the opposite.

I would’ve loved to see this product as a hybrid of NN, local news, and the old HLN. Presented in a Peacock type format.

You could have your main “channel” that streams NewsNation content and local news. So NN would be built around local news shows. Then have another “channel” that is the headlines channel that is basically the same news every 30 minutes like HLN used to do - updated every two hours. Users could also watch a “channel” that is just a constant weather upstate - think looping SD, 7-day forecast, etc.

• Like 3

Also down the road may be a streaming  version of NewsNation.”

https://www.nexttv.com/news/perry-sook-84-of-the-country-has-no-earthly-idea-what-newsnation-is

The fact that this is not the priority RIGHT NOW is the problem. 🤦🏼‍♂️ So, if you have brand recognition but people don’t get the cable channel what’s the point? 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeBucc said:

The fact that this is not the priority RIGHT NOW is the problem. 🤦🏼‍♂️ So, if you have brand recognition but people don’t get the cable channel what’s the point? 😂

For how good, yet low-profile Newsy has been for Scripps, they knew having it as a traditional cable channel wasn't working and ended it in June for a streaming-heavy model, along with OTA coverage on the Ion stations. I wish Nexstar would realize the same thing, along with cannibalizing their station's audiences in primetime (If you hear about Newsy on a Scripps station it's usually for their investigative reporting, not generic crime/human interest roll stuff like NN).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sendir said:

Rob Nelson is out. 

And a link for context: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-08-09/anchor-rob-nelson-exits-struggling-cable-channel-newsnation

What a disaster. I'm sure the drastic reduction of NewsNation Prime didn't help. I'm guessing the writing is on the wall that Prime is going to be cancelled when the September lineup comes out. Wouldn't be surprised if either Marni or the weather team go next.

Well, maybe one of the meteorologists gets a spot on the morning show, but I don't see weather in the evenings being a thing much longer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Scott shouldn't talk. I can barely understand the point he's trying to make with as many errors as there are in that post.

Oh my god. His grammar is horrible. He never proofs his articles before posting. Drives me nuts. 

Is Albert Ramon also out? His face was removed from the Prime banner 

32FCEFE9-FFB7-4282-9BC2-37C6B1DB40FF.jpeg

Edited by newsman123

1 hour ago, newsman123 said:

Oh my god. His grammar is horrible. He never proofs his articles before posting. Drives me nuts. 

32FCEFE9-FFB7-4282-9BC2-37C6B1DB40FF.jpeg

He's still on the website, and as of yesterday, he was still tweeting NewsNation-related content, but I would not be surprised if they drop weather from evenings either this month or next month when the morning show starts. I could see Albert moving to mornings when that happens. We'll see

1 hour ago, newsman123 said:

No. His bio is still listed. I think it makes sense to align NewsNation Prime with the other programs (The Donlon Report, Banfield, etc..) and just have a single person as 'the face' of said program. That said, I still think they will move him to the new morning show.

Edited by jase