The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

On 5/21/2021 at 11:59 AM, dabx said:

Would it be a bad idea if Nexstar were to take the best of Banfield and air it on their broadcast stations? It could be just one hour on the weekend. During the program they would promote NewsNation and where it can be found within the local broadcast market - I picked Banfield because it is not a time sensitive  content program

I was thinking the same thing -- even airing it in late-late night or next-day, since it's not necessarily a "nighttime" show. Between the little I watch of NN and the fact that I'm off to bed at 9p CT, I catch Banfield reruns on weeknight prime time on WG, er, NN. I've crushed on Ashleigh since she was on MSNBC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, Sendir said:

How have the ratings been with the new lineup?

Not sure how reliable this site is but here's some numbers, and they aren't good. https://ctv.kwayisi.org/networks/wgn/

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

On Balance with Leland Vittert is debuting at 8pm ET and NewsNation Early Edition is rebranding to NewsNation: Rush Hour beginning July 19th. 

Here's the article

So now that only leaves one hour of Prime before Banfield. 

No surprise to see Leland getting a show, the "On Balance" immediately made me think of the "Fair & Balanced" branding his former employer used, not a big fan of the "Rush Hour" branding either. Anyone else wondering if Prime's days are numbered? and if so what would they do with Rob and Marni? 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

I'll just be the remaining "entertainment" shows outpace the news shows by a longshot....

Better question would be how does NN's numbers compare to once upon a time when WGNA just simulcasted WGN's Noon and 9pm news?

2 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Better question would be how does NN's numbers compare to once upon a time when WGNA just simulcasted WGN's Noon and 9pm news?

Likely far less, but it would be an apples to oranges comparison IMO since those newscasts haven’t aired on the former WGNA since 2014.

8 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Not really a relevant comparison. As @mightynine mentioned, many years have passed since that simulcast was aired. In that time, the cable ratings landscape has radically diminished. It is also not a great comparison from a revenue standpoint as you can't generate national ad buys in the national simulcast of a local newscast. So even if NewsNation's ratings are not as good (and they probably aren't), the revenue is much improved. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 6:21 PM, jrogo said:

Anyone else wondering if Prime's days are numbered? and if so what would they do with Rob and Marni? 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they move Rob, Marni (and Albert) to the upcoming morning show. It’s clear having an evening newscast isn’t working for them.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, jase said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they move Rob, Marni (and Albert) to the upcoming morning show. It’s clear having an evening newscast isn’t working for them.

I somewhat agree with this. I can definitely see Rob moving to the upcoming morning show and working with Adrienne. Marnie has actually been doing a good job anchoring Prime on her own the past week or two.

How low do you think the upcoming morning program's ratings are going to be in relation to in the heat of the night & blue bloods reruns?   Right now things don't look so good for the rest of there news programing.  Yikes!

• Sad 1

On 7/9/2021 at 8:23 PM, carolinanews4 said:

It is also not a great comparison from a revenue standpoint as you can't generate national ad buys in the national simulcast of a local newscast. So even if NewsNation's ratings are not as good (and they probably aren't), the revenue is much improved. 

Fair point- I had not considered that. Thank you!

On 7/10/2021 at 8:23 PM, DENDude said:

How low do you think the upcoming morning program's ratings are going to be in relation to in the heat of the night & blue bloods reruns?   Right now things don't look so good for the rest of there news programing.  Yikes!

Better than In Heat Of The Night not sure on Blue Bloods thou.

Two big pieces of NewsNation programming updates revealed today:

• Adrienne Bankert will anchor the new morning block, "Morning in America", from 7-10 AM EST starting September 27.
  • ABC News Chief Legal Analyst and A&E host Dan Abrams will anchor a new program, "Dan Abrams Live", from 8-9 PM EST starting September 27. Ultimately, this will reduce NewsNation Prime to just 1 hour, from 9-10 PM EST. Abrams will continue to serve as Chief Legal Analyst for ABC News.
  • Thanks 1

I actually liked Dan’s show on MSNBC back in the day.

I just don’t understand how this channel can be successful without a streaming option…why is Nexstar putting all this money in a cable channel? I mean can’t they at least offer it over the air to it’s affiliates sub channels? 

2 hours ago, ddaniels20 said:

Two big pieces of NewsNation programming updates revealed today:

• Adrienne Bankert will anchor the new morning block, "Morning in America", from 7-10 AM EST starting September 27.
  • ABC News Chief Legal Analyst and A&E host Dan Abrams will anchor a new program, "Dan Abrams Live", from 8-9 PM EST starting September 27. Ultimately, this will reduce NewsNation Prime to just 1 hour, from 9-10 PM EST. Abrams will continue to serve as Chief Legal Analyst for ABC News.

Interesting. So On Balance with Leland Vittert that is debuting today is most likely just keeping the 8pm hour seat warm for Dan.

I get with a new network there's going to be a lot of changes but damn it's hard to keep up now with what they're offering. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spring Rubber said:

I see on weekends that NewsNation Prime runs from 7-9pm ET and Banfield at 9pm ET. Has it been like that the past few months, or did they bump the weekend lineup an hour earlier?

No. The weekend schedule has been like that since Banfield started in March of this year (that was the month of the first expansion of programming and the rebrand of WGN America to NewsNation).......

Dan Abrams show is a weekly show and launches Sept 27th a Monday. I am thinking its just going to be a Monday night show at 8pm. On Balance will be Tues-Fri

Some sites are stating Dan Abrams will be a weekly show and others weeknights. 

Edited by Drew