The Turmoil Saga of NewsNation

TVLurker

48 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Arguably, your peak years are in your 40s. It's all downhill after that.

Well, your theory may explain Fox News (given the 65-68 median age of its viewers), but some of the best and most memorable anchors and reporters in television history have been Smith's age and older.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, WWUpdate said:

Well, your theory may explain Fox News (given the 65-68 median age of its viewers), but some of the best and most memorable anchors and reporters in television history have been Smith's age and older.

I personally think Shep looks good for 57. He could probably pass for 10 years younger.

I see News Nation is down the middle I don't see any bias in there news coverage. Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm sure Nexstar knew that there was going to be growing pains along the way, I watch News Nation a couple night a week largely the last half hour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2021 at 12:26 PM, CalItalian2 said:

How is anyone even supposed to find this joke news network?

On 4/2/2021 at 12:32 PM, YardLionREW said:

I'm sure you can buy a champagne and celebrate the failure that is NewsNation. You're free to gloat.

@CalItalian2, since it's been well established that you clearly are not a fan of NewsNation, would you like to read my post in the D Block section for laughs (my fantasy story about a crossover between NewsNation and a certain show on a popular digital broadcast network)?? My post has been universally panned, and BTW, this idea will probably never happen in reality, but never say never, as they say. And @CalItalian2, if you want to critique, please reply in the D Block section, s'il vous plait! Thank you! 😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 1:06 AM, Megatron81 said:

I see News Nation is down the middle I don't see any bias in there news coverage. Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm sure Nexstar knew that there was going to be growing pains along the way, I watch News Nation a couple night a week largely the last half hour.

Same, to be quite honest; and I definitely think that Nexstar has known about the growing pains since the launch of Prime back in September.

Heck I mostly watch Early Edition or Prime (or both) whenever I'm not watching the videos on YouTube or scrolling through the NewsNation Now app or website.

35 minutes ago, noggi said:

This actually was a good article. One highlight: The LA Times piece actually mentioned the Ad Fontes media rating of the political leanings of NewsNation (in which it's ranked squarely in the center), while also highlighting the ratings struggles it's had of late, and the behind-the-scenes turmoil that has taken place.

Another thing that surprised me in the piece was Joe Donlon not being involved in the editing of the interview he did with now-former President Trump, and his alleged unhappiness with the final product. Now, I've never spent time in a local or national TV newsroom, but wouldn't someone of Donlon's stature at least have some kind of involvement with the editing of an interview like this??? I don't understand.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J1975am said:

This actually was a good article. One highlight: The LA Times piece actually mentioned the Ad Fontes media rating of the political leanings of NewsNation (in which it's ranked squarely in the center), while also highlighting the ratings struggles it's had of late, and the behind-the-scenes turmoil that has taken place.

Another thing that surprised me in the piece was Joe Donlon not being involved in the editing of the interview he did with now-former President Trump, and his alleged unhappiness with the final product. Now, I've never spent time in a local or national TV newsroom, but wouldn't someone of Donlon's stature at least have some kind of involvement with the editing of an interview like this??? I don't understand.......

Yeah, I found that even with the most minuscule tilt to the right, NewsNation is still pretty much in the center. And it wouldn't surprise me if Nexstar has been paying attention to the ratings; given that they've been gearing up for the new morning show.

I actually don't blame Joe Donlon for being unhappy with the final cut of the Trump interview; and I think that now that Donlon's got his own show, he's basically got creative control over any pre-recorded interviews (much like Banfield does for hers).

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 3:46 PM, noggi said:

It wasn't quite the takedown the screaming headline implied. It was more nuanced than I expected.

Edited by newsbot
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, jrogo said:

but will get his own show sometime later in the year.

This'll be a homecoming for Vittert, who's from Illinois. Also, I'm wondering if he'll get an afternoon show or if he'll boot Banfield off. Time will tell. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, 24994J said:

GMA's recently-departed EP will be taking over the top job at NewsNation.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/05/17/nexstar-hires-former-abc-news-exec-michael-corn-run-newsnation/

The TVNewser spin that "tapping the former executive in charge of GMA to run the newsroom will put any fears among staffers to bed" is...not great at all. I was hoping for just a 'news and weather' basic morning show, but now all I see is "NewsNation's STEALS and DEALS!" and yet another news outlet amplifying minor local crime stories to national 'outrages' like Today and GMA already do.

There's just no real direction out here outside of 'offer big contracts to network talent and hope they move the sticks'.

13 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

all I see is "NewsNation's STEALS and DEALS!"

I don't think this will work on a channel like NewsNation. I think there are plenty of Nexstar stations that have locally produced shows with segments like that (i.e., "pay for play" segments). But then again, what other group doesn't have stations with local shows like that?

13 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

yet another news outlet amplifying minor local crime stories to national 'outrages' like Today and GMA already do.

In NewsNation's case, I think it depends on the crime itself and who is involved (although I don't think they would amplify it to Today or GMA level). When NewsNation does a story like that which takes up a few minutes of airtime, they usually call on a reporter from the Nexstar station in the market where the crime occurred. If it was a really big story, then they usually call on people like Tom Negovan, Nancy Loo, or Markie Martin to cover it, depending on the region where this occurs.......

If you go to newsnationnow.com, they do have at least one or two local crime stories worth highlighting (that depends on the day and time when you're at the site, and what the crime is, of course).......

• Like 1

Would it be a bad idea if Nexstar were to take the best of Banfield and air it on their broadcast stations? It could be just one hour on the weekend. During the program they would promote NewsNation and where it can be found within the local broadcast market - I picked Banfield because it is not a time sensitive  content program

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 8:20 PM, mrschimpf said:

The TVNewser spin that "tapping the former executive in charge of GMA to run the newsroom will put any fears among staffers to bed" is...not great at all. I was hoping for just a 'news and weather' basic morning show, but now all I see is "NewsNation's STEALS and DEALS!" and yet another news outlet amplifying minor local crime stories to national 'outrages' like Today and GMA already do.

There's just no real direction out here outside of 'offer big contracts to network talent and hope they move the sticks'.

The problem, unfortunately, is that what you were hoping for doesn't attract eyeballs.  The latter does.  

• Like 2