NFL Rights Shakeup (sort of)

The Frog

Disney/ESPN have renewed MNF. An undetermined amount of games will simulcast on ABC. ABC also gets back in the Super Bowl rotation.

Fox has passed on TNF. Amazon Prime and NFL Network will carry it.

CBS, NBC, and Fox will keep their current Sunday packages.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2021/02/ESPN-NFL.aspx

Companies always deny leaks until they're ready to confirm them. Part of the SBJ report could be wrong (like it might not be a 30% increase) but if Ourand is reporting it in sure the important stuff in the article is right. The NFL wants to control the release of the information as much as it can. 

If the above is true, I"m glad that TNF is off the broadcast networks, it always screwed up whether or not FOX would have a 9/10pm newscast.

Also, good to see ABC getting back into the rotation of Super Bowls...now each major network affiliate has a chance to air it every 4 years (should it be true....).

If I were to guess (given ABC’s scheduling needs), the simulcasts would probably be the first two weeks of the season and all of December?  And if I were Disney, I’d try to get a Thanksgiving game for ABC...

5 hours ago, qunewsguy said:

TNF had no place on broadcast networks. The games were never headliners and often blowouts and brought in minimal if any revenue for affiliates. There's a reason it's now been unceremoniously dumped by two networks.

Four words; "The NFL on Ion" 🤭 (Kidding, of course, but eventually it may get that way if Scripps really wants to justify its balance sheet).

Another idea might be for ABC to get a Black Friday game since Iowa/Nebraska or Washington/Washington State has become an utter dud compared to the Colorado/Nebraska game which used to air on that day, though it may not work for whatever restrictions the high school and college distance restrictions put on the NFL season when they play.

4 hours ago, The Frog said:

Who would sub to that to watch those mediocre games? 🤦‍♂️My Giants will probably have a couple on there but its not worth subbing to for that...

22 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

Will TNF still air on FOX?

Doubtful. As previously mentioned, it will be too expensive to have both the Sunday afternoon and Thursday packages. 

2 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Who would sub to that to watch those mediocre games? 🤦‍♂️My Giants will probably have a couple on there but its not worth subbing to for that...

local teams will still get an OTA simulcast 

people complain about TNF but enough still watch, they could put pre season games on Thanksgiving and people would still watch

11 hours ago, jase said:

Doubtful. As previously mentioned, it will be too expensive to have both the Sunday afternoon and Thursday packages. 

Especially for the mediocre slate of games that the Thursday games provides.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:38 PM, Glimmer said:

If I were to guess (given ABC’s scheduling needs), the simulcasts would probably be the first two weeks of the season and all of December?  And if I were Disney, I’d try to get a Thanksgiving game for ABC...

That's most likely their plan, they scheduled Dancing with the Stars on a Tuesday when MNF was playing the same week on the network back in September. I'm guessing the simulcasts would happen after Dancing ends Thanksgiving week.  A Disneyfied Thanksgiving game sounds like something that would make too much sense, especially since we just saw a Nickelodeon game quite recently. 

Glad that ABC is rumored to be back on Super Bowl rotation, but it is somewhat underwhelming that they will just simulcast select games for MNF, they've somewhat done that this year already.  It originally seemed like that there was going to be a major shakeup on the rights package, but I guess those high fees will keep things the same.  

14 hours ago, nomadcowatbk said:

will they ever simulcast the CFP and CFC on both ABC and ESPN?

Doubtful. The numbers for college football aren't the same as NFL, so it doesn't make sense to cannibalize ESPN's viewership to show it for free on ABC. 

• 2 weeks later...

New deal announced through the 2033 season:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31088098/nfl-announces-tv-deals-espn-abc-nbc-cbs-fox-amazon

Highlights:

Sunday afternoon games on CBS and Fox

Sunday night games on NBC

Monday night games on ESPN with some games also airing on ABC

For the first time, Amazon will be the exclusive home for Thursday night games, which will also be on over-the-air channels in the competing teams' home markets.

NFL Network will also air select games.

ABC picks up two Super Bowls during the deal -- the first in 2026 -- with the other networks airing three.

Archived