WJZY set

ScottSchell

By itself, I like the new logo.  It all depends on what look it ends up with.

Our best hope is the KOIN package, but the Nexstar FOX look could be the other option.

And since this thread is about their SET, any word on how that's coming along?  It seems there is a lot of things going on here.  Their GM slot is even open, so there could be lots of other changes on the horizon....

15 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

And since this thread is about their SET, any word on how that's coming along?  It seems there is a lot of things going on here.  Their GM slot is even open, so there could be lots of other changes on the horizon....

To be fair this is a set and studios sub forum and generally when stations get a new set, don’t they change graphics and logos too?

But seeing as that Good Day Charlotte expands to 6 hours Tuesday, it might make its debut then. I haven’t heard. But maybe not at 4am. We’ll see. 

Just now, Nelson R. said:

To be fair this is a set and studios sub forum and generally when stations get a new set, don’t they change graphics and logos too?

But seeing as that Good Day Charlotte expands to 6 hours Tuesday, it might make its debut then. I haven’t heard. But maybe not at 4am. We’ll see. 

I see your point.  Usually any set change is part of a new graphics package, and even the trifecta of a new brand as well.  Some places do them all at once in a well planned move, and others happen in stages. 

Some cases a new graphics package just shows up one day, especially if it's a corporate one mandated by the owners.

17 hours ago, Requiere said:

I mean... It's a logo? Kind of seems lazy imo. Also this makes it feel as though they're emphasizing more on the FOX brand and less on Charlotte.

Lazy, bland and generic. Doesn't provide an identifier for what station you are watching. Both the channel number and call letters are missing. Only the national network is identified. Not sure how this helps them promote a local news product that is just now gaining some traction, new set or not. Not a fan of this new branding.

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I see your point.  Usually any set change is part of a new graphics package, and even the trifecta of a new brand as well.  Some places do them all at once in a well planned move, and others happen in stages. 

Some cases a new graphics package just shows up one day, especially if it's a corporate one mandated by the owners.

I like the current FOX graphics package that Nexstar inherited, but I guess they will change that too. And I am speculating we may see all the big changes on Tuesday.

17 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

And it moves to 10am starting Tuesday because Good Day Charlotte expands to 4am-10am. 

29315A8F-729E-4422-81ED-C9096282BD15.png

D9D9A4C3-7BF7-4EFF-83D6-ED53C41FD503.png

Ted Phaeton may have overlapping viewers from Upstate SC as he moves from one studio on I-85 up to another, as he is leaving WHNS-21 FOX Carolina to join WJZY in Charlotte. Both WHNS and WJZY overlap antenna signals in Spartanburg County and parts of Greenville County. He has previously hosted morning news and weather on WHNS. I guess he will be the replacement for Nick Kosir, the popular "dancing weatherman" who departed. Now I wonder if a Charlotte station will try to lure evening anchor Cody Alcorn from WHNS, as he is one of the more popular GSP/AVL personalities.

4 hours ago, tylerSC said:

Ted Phaeton may have overlapping viewers from Upstate SC as he moves from one studio on I-85 up to another, as he is leaving WHNS-21 FOX Carolina to join WJZY in Charlotte. Both WHNS and WJZY overlap antenna signals in Spartanburg County and parts of Greenville County. He has previously hosted morning news and weather on WHNS. I guess he will be the replacement for Nick Kosir, the popular "dancing weatherman" who departed. Now I wonder if a Charlotte station will try to lure evening anchor Cody Alcorn from WHNS, as he is one of the more popular GSP/AVL personalities.

The number of overlapping viewers would be incredibly small.  He’s not the only person from an adjacent TV market to make the switch to Charlotte, or for that matter, to that station recently.

As for a Charlotte station trying to pick up a new anchor—here’s that’s up with that.  Any ‘spots to fill’ are largely female anchor slots, at this point, if you take a look at open positions.  All the stations are relatively stable on anchors. Plus, I would imagine all the stations now have a ton of research on their main talent behind them. 

On 9/4/2021 at 10:13 PM, JackityJack said:

The number of overlapping viewers would be incredibly small.  He’s not the only person from an adjacent TV market to make the switch to Charlotte, or for that matter, to that station recently.

As for a Charlotte station trying to pick up a new anchor—here’s that’s up with that.  Any ‘spots to fill’ are largely female anchor slots, at this point, if you take a look at open positions.  All the stations are relatively stable on anchors. Plus, I would imagine all the stations now have a ton of research on their main talent behind them. 

Well if you use an antenna, most Charlotte signals are easily received in Spartanburg, especially WBTV, WCNC, and WJZY. And WSOC and WCCB also come in. WSOC even has a translator for an additional signal. And WBTV especially is super strong just like a local signal. So there is overlapping coverage if folks choose to watch. But cable/sat services dropped Charlotte years ago, despite antenna availability. Ironically 13-WLOS from Asheville is difficult to receive, and it is the primary DMA. But I get ABC via WSOC very easily.

1 hour ago, tylerSC said:

Well if you use an antenna, most Charlotte signals are easily received in Spartanburg, especially WBTV, WCNC, and WJZY. And WSOC and WCCB also come in. WSOC even has a translator for an additional signal. And WBTV especially is super strong just like a local signal. So there is overlapping coverage if folks choose to watch. But cable/sat services dropped Charlotte years ago, despite antenna availability. Ironically 13-WLOS from Asheville is difficult to receive, and it is the primary DMA. But I get ABC via WSOC very easily.

Gaffney (and Cherokee County SC) are part of the Charlotte market, correct?  (no longer the case....were they ever?)

Since it's just east of Spartanburg, there's probably a lot of cross-viewership there.  South Carolinians want their SC stations (and WLOS), and Charlotte is just a stone's throw away. 

Belmont (WJZY's COL) is even closer since their facility is in Western Mecklenburg County and Belmont itself is just across the Catawba River in Gaston County.

I know WMYA is relayed on WLOS for the Western NC viewers, but they don't do the same for WLOS on WMYA.  

Edited by tyrannical bastard
correction

On 9/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

Gaffney (and Cherokee County SC) are part of the Charlotte market, correct?  (no longer the case....were they ever?)

Since it's just east of Spartanburg, there's probably a lot of cross-viewership there.  South Carolinians want their SC stations (and WLOS), and Charlotte is just a stone's throw away. 

Belmont (WJZY's COL) is even closer since their facility is in Western Mecklenburg County and Belmont itself is just across the Catawba River in Gaston County.

I know WMYA is relayed on WLOS for the Western NC viewers, but they don't do the same for WLOS on WMYA.  

Cherokee County is officially Greenville-Spartanburg/Asheville market, but Charlotte TV signals are very strong and carried on cable there. WBTV, WCNC, and WJZY broadcast from 2000 ft. towers in Gaston County west of Charlotte, so they put a very strong signal into Upstate SC that reaches into portions of Greenville County where I formerly resided in Mauldin before moving to Spartanburg County. WSOC and WCCB also reach Spartanburg if you have a decent antenna, and WSOC also has a translator on Crowder's Mtn. that reaches Spartanburg. I'm not sure how news ratings measure antenna viewers, and they probably no longer include out of market viewers beyond the official DMA.

I am hearing another delay…the set was going to debut this week but apparently they are having cold feet on what the news branding was going to be. They decided to abandon that. They are going with the Nexstar Fox graphics but might not be de-Foxifying their branding after all. This coming from a new employee. 

Edited by Nelson R.

4 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

I am hearing another delay…the set was going to debut this week but apparently they are having cold feet on what the news branding was going to be. They decided to abandon that. They are going with the Nexstar Fox graphics but might not be de-Foxifying their branding after all. This coming from a new employee. 

Smart move...it's a major branding problem 

Edited by jero23

For those that make these passive aggressive statements. I have my info from someone in the broadcast industry myself. The same source who predicted the new Fox O&O graphics launched in February 2020 on WJZY, the Orlando Fox & MyTV O&Os by Fox along with the aforementioned Sacramento, San Diego Fox affiliate properties for Nexstar as a future swap that has been seroiusly considered, to the fact that Charlotte still on the Fox network radar are known to those who work on this daily. I didn't make up anything, so if you disagree then go disagree with my source. 

On 9/8/2021 at 1:08 PM, Nelson R. said:

Well I hope they reconsider and keep the branding FOX46 instead of changing to FOX Charlotte. And I hope the Nexstar graphics look good because I think the current FOX graphics look very good an don't necessarily need to be changed. But i know they often change graphics when a new set debuts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tylerSC said:

Well I hope they reconsider and keep the branding FOX46 instead of changing to FOX Charlotte. And I hope the Nexstar graphics look good because I think the current FOX graphics look very good an don't necessarily need to be changed. But i know they often change graphics when a new set debuts.

Well about that the part of reconsidering.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sendir said:

Monday soft launch. You won’t be disappointed unless you just completely hate Nexstar with no objectivity. Lol

Looking forward to the new set, but do not care for the rebranding. They should stay FOX46 as they are well known. And what has happened to Lindsay Clein? Seems like an abrupt departure for no good reason. But that seems to be the Nexstar pattern lately at WJZY.

2 hours ago, tylerSC said:

And what has happened to Lindsay Clein? Seems like an abrupt departure for no good reason. But that seems to be the Nexstar pattern lately at

An incoming employee said they wanted more diversity at 5, 6 and 10. Right now Lindsey is reporting. Wouldn’t surprise me if she is looking around though. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, tylerSC said:

They are still heavily running FOX46 news promos Sunday night. So we'll see if they indeed change to FOX Charlotte on Monday. Maybe they wised up and decided to stay FOX46 as they are well known. 

They're still using the FOX46 branding. They'll probably a hybrid branding in the interim.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:41 PM, Nelson R. said:

An incoming employee said they wanted more diversity at 5, 6 and 10. Right now Lindsey is reporting. Wouldn’t surprise me if she is looking around though. 

Lindsay Clein may end up anchoring the noon news and 4pm as apparently Page Fehling is leaving at the end of the month. According to front page story in today's Observer. Supposedly family reasons but the revolving door at Nexstar continues.

14 minutes ago, tylerSC said:

Lindsay Clein may end up anchoring the noon news and 4pm as apparently Page Fehling is leaving at the end of the month. According to front page story in today's Observer. Supposedly family reasons but the revolving door at Nexstar continues.

The new employee mentioned that about Lindsay on Discord and said she is likely to get it  but I am not sure it is a done deal yet. That’s why I didn’t say anything. I hope she gets that though. I wish Alicia had been able to stay at WIS until Page left so Lindsay wouldn’t have been stuck reporting til then. I guess it didn’t work out that way though. I posted that about Page on Out and About.

Edited by Nelson R.

At 4:00 they were in the new studio. But still old FOX graphics and FOX46 branding. Maybe they did have last minute change of mind. We'll see. As for the studio, so far it has a big monitor wall behind the desk with what may be a live cam pic of the Charlotte skyline. Need to see a bit more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1