WJZY set

ScottSchell

15 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Here’s my problem with Queen City News… and all the other generic names (mostly Gray) affiliates have been switching to… It does not, in any way, indicate the fact that it is a broadcast news outlet.

“But that’s what they want to do! It’s about more than just terrestrial television now!”

That’s true. But at the core of it, the product is still video news, with an emphasis on live and immediate VIDEO news reporting. That will always be true for this business no matter if the main medium people consume the product on changes from over the air TV, to streaming, an app, a website, or whatever else may come in the future.

I know this is not "The 3 Thread", but in hindsight, WKYC probably did this right. Even their branding relates to audio/visual media, and "3News" is not the name of a blog. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, noggi said:

There's a lot to unpack here... but not really worth anyone's time.

But seriously... all you have to offer is "more hours of news"? 

Yikes...

Agreed. Nexstar destroying WJZY isn't nearly as devastating as when Tegna destroyed WBNS-TV. There are other stations in this DMA that I recommend watching (WBTV and WCNC, still a Tegna station but a decent one), so this market isn't a wasteland. Much worse things have happened.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

It is my opinion, but we'll see in the next sweeps.

If the ratings plummet, that’s when you can fairly say Nexstar has destroyed the station, but give it a chance.

Edited by Nelson R.

4 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

If the ratings plummet, that’s when you can fairly say Nexstar has destroyed the station, but give it a chance.

Saying WJZY has been/could be destroyed implies that it was previously great, which is was not. And that's not an opinion, but fact.

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

Saying WJZY has been/could be destroyed implies that it was previously great, which is was not. And that's not an opinion, but fact.

True, but, Fox Television Stations did that, not Nexstar. The station has been making progress under Nexstar.

• Like 1

Maybe Nexstar will have a "Christmas present" with this relaunch....

That being, a robust, OTT platform that "Queen City News" can live on and expand their reach more!

Nexstar need this, badly.  This has to be the one-millionth time I've mentioned this.  As the largest station group, their online efforts are concentrated on their websites, and a small spattering of "one-off" channels (like KRONon and any remaining ones from the Tribune days). 

Meanwhile, Gray and Syncbak (Vuit) are killing it with a roster of stations amongst themselves and other owners.  Sinclair is second with NewsON, (and sort-of there with Stirr...it still needs some work)  Meanwhile Nexstar is still pumping time, money and resources into NewsNation, and I"ll leave it at that with the state of pay TV.  Sinclair reaches so much more with TND day and night, even at the cost of some of their local primetime newscasts.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 3:33 PM, jero23 said:

Yep, it makes the Fox affiliate of a major market looks small market.  NewsNation will continue to get nothing in constantly forcing stations to promote an out-of-date product in 2021. I don't agree with Fox's over-the-air antics with their O&Os nor the FNC, but Charlotte is a better fit for an O&O than Nexstar bs that belongs in any market that's below the top 50 ranking. Watch the ratings drop falter with the unnecessary changes forcing another rebranding...  WCCB might wind up as the O&O in the future.

I said everything that needs to be said back in August about Nexstar disasterous movements with WJZY & WMYT

7 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

WCCB is better than ever as an "independent". There's no way Fox will be convinced to buy Bahakel.

It's whatever to me with which one wind up as the Fox O&O again. The fact is likely to occur with Charlotte's rapid growth as a NFC, MLS, and NASCAR sports revenue market.  I bet Nexstar is going to regret these unnecessary moves with WJZY.  Ironically they have hardly done much with KTVI nor KDVR. 

Edited by jero23

57 minutes ago, jero23 said:

I bet Nexstar is going to regret these unnecessary moves with WJZY.  Ironically they have hardly done much with KTVI nor KDVR. 

Whatever's going on with KCPQ (and Fox knew that was a multi-year fix going in), Fox got the best part of the deal; WITI hardly needed fixing and now they don't have to worry about having to hassle with the WJZY shoebox. They were better off just leaving things as-is with WCCB, or giving the affiliation to WAXN and just going on autopilot knowing that a few off-hours newscasts from WSOC was all they needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jero23 said:

Ironically they have hardly done much with KTVI nor KDVR. 

Except for the fact that KDVR's creative services department is a joke. They took a small-market graphics package that is a ripoff of a package that has crappy 3D glass effects and was first launched in 2013 (Tribune Fox).

The problem in Charlotte is that there are too many stations producing news. There is only so much ad money in the market, the pie doesn’t get bigger the slices just get smaller. It takes several years for news startups to make a profit, WJZY is likely losing money and was definitely losing money when it was a O&O, WCCB is likely just barely turning a profit. With those issues Fox isn’t going to re-enter the market, it doesn’t matter with supposed growth or how many sports team the market has.

At some point either WCCB is going to have to drop news or WJZY is going have to do something completely different, I don’t think “Queen City News” is going to work out but they have nothing to lose.

Edited by doublejman69
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, doublejman69 said:

The problem in Charlotte is that there are too many stations producing news. There is only so much ad money in the market, the pie doesn’t get bigger the slices just get smaller. It takes several years for news startups to make a profit, WJZY is likely losing money and was definitely losing money when it was a O&O, WCCB is likely just barely turning a profit. With those issues Fox isn’t going to re-enter the market, it doesn’t matter with supposed growth or how many sports team the market has.

At some point either WCCB is going to have to drop news or WJZY is going have to do something completely different, I don’t think “Queen City News” is going to work out but they have nothing to lose.

Agreed. Despite Charlotte's strong points, they are not a market like Boston to be able to handle 5 newsrooms. While I'm all in favour of more competition, station owners need to put more news in markets that need it, especially in 2 newsroom markets like Toledo, Ohio.

Edited by TheSpeedKing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

Agreed. Despite Charlotte's strong points, they are not a market like Boston to be able to handle 5 newsrooms. While I'm all in favour of more competition, station owners need to put more news in markets that need it, especially in 2 newsroom markets like Toledo, Ohio.

WCCB produces 5 hours of news a day. It's not much at all. They'll need to drop it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, doublejman69 said:

Supposed growth? Charlotte is one of the top 10 fastest growing larger regions in the US. Its income has drastically increased and so has the highly educated population well. The major league sports franchises here as well.   It'll be a top 20 DMA in a few years. That translates into major revenue.

Fox only sold WJZY because they wanted into Seattle with KCPQ and get their hands back on the steady pennies associated with the Packers through WITI.  

I'll continue to say what I said about the Charlotte market regardless. 

5 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

Toledo? That is a no growth market like Detroit.

6 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

Except for the fact that KDVR's creative services department is a joke. They took a small-market graphics package that is a ripoff of a package that has crappy 3D glass effects and was first launched in 2013 (Tribune Fox).

That's cheap ass Nexstar for ya! 

Edited by jero23
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jero23 said:

Oh, and the KDVR art director is Lazy and refuses to use 2 different packages, one for KDVR and KWGN, and their CSD can't move the ratings needle. Their promos are absolute horsesh*t, using buzzwords without any sort of storytelling capability. If you want to see what Donald Trump would be like as a creative director, watch KDVR|KWGN.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jero23 said:

Supposed growth? Charlotte is one of the top 10 fastest growing larger regions in the US. Its income has drastically increased and so has the highly educated population well. The major league sports franchises here as well.   It'll be a top 20 DMA in a few years. That translates into major revenue.

Fox only sold WJZY because they wanted into Seattle with KCPQ and get their hands back on the steady pennies associated with the Packers through WITI.  

I'll continue to say what I said about the Charlotte market regardless. 

Toledo? That is a no growth market like Detroit.

The bulk of station revenue comes from local news, WJZY was getting hash marks for some newscast, you can’t sell that when no one is watching and you can see why Fox dump the station.

Fox gets a percentage of retrans revenue from local stations and they also sell ads regionally for sporting events and network programming. The network gets almost all of the ad time, local stations make very little during network programs or sporting events. there really isn’t a need for Fox to own a struggling station even in larger markets.

The only reason for Fox to return to Charlotte is if Nexstar turns the station around or if a stronger station wants the Fox affiliation (seems highly unlikely), and for someone to drop news. Fox dump a lot of money in the WJZY startup, they aren’t going to do it a second time.

Edited by doublejman69

On 12/27/2021 at 9:53 AM, doublejman69 said:

The bulk of station revenue comes from local news, WJZY was getting hash marks for some newscast, you can’t sell that when no one is watching and you can see why Fox dump the station.

Fox gets a percentage of retrans revenue from local stations and they also sell ads regionally for sporting events and network programming. The network gets almost all of the ad time, local stations make very little during network programs or sporting events. there really isn’t a need for Fox to own a struggling station even in larger markets.

The only reason for Fox to return to Charlotte is if Nexstar turns the station around or if a stronger station wants the Fox affiliation (seems highly unlikely), and for someone to drop news. Fox dump a lot of money in the WJZY startup, they aren’t going to do it a second time.

I'm well aware of all of this. WJZY hasn't been that situation in ratings since 2016. The move was not because of the previous years. It's because they wanted back into Milwaukee and finally into Seattle.  I've said that Fox will come back as they see someone else building up WJZY then reap the benefits of that investment. 

Charlotte can support 5 news operations. That's not WJZY's problem. Similar sized and smaller markets such as Orlando have 5 news operations.  If they stick to something with branding and with proper investment then it will be fine. 

• Like 2

A big reason that Charlotte has 5 news operations is because of how Bahakel has held on, even after Fox took away their affiliation for themselves. 

Had it been any other owner, there's a good chance either Raycom (Gray) or Belo (Gannett/Tegna) would have swiped away WCCB to pair with their own existing operations. 

That's the advantage WSOC had had with their ownership of WAXN, and why they've been able to rule the 10pm ratings for the most part, cashing in on the success of Channel 9 news, even as WBTV has driven them down in the ratings.