WJZY set

ScottSchell

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

I don't have have Raleigh numbers, where's you source?

Charlotte-Mecklenburg County Planning Department (aka Charlotte Planning & Design Department), Mecklenburg County Development Services, and the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance are all my sources.

1 minute ago, jero23 said:

Charlotte-Mecklenburg County Planning Department (aka Charlotte Planning & Design Department), Mecklenburg County Development Services, and the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance are all my sources.

All I know is Carolina Demographics Raleigh is second fastest growing metro area next to Austin, TX (Where FOX ironically owns a station at).

5 minutes ago, jero23 said:

All I know is Carolina Demographics, along with several sources say Raleigh-Cary Metro is the 2nd fastest growing in the nation, next to Austin, TX (Which FOX ironically owns a station in). And with Durham-Chapel Hill MSA most likely to get recombined with the Raleigh-Cary MSA in 2023 could mean some serious growth gains for the Raleigh metro area.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:03 AM, Gavin said:

All I know is Carolina Demographics Raleigh is second fastest growing metro area next to Austin, TX (Where FOX ironically owns a station at).

All I know is Carolina Demographics, along with several sources say Raleigh-Cary Metro is the 2nd fastest growing in the nation, next to Austin, TX (Which FOX ironically owns a station in). And with Durham-Chapel Hill MSA most likely to get recombined with the Raleigh-Cary MSA in 2023 could mean some serious growth gains for the Raleigh metro area.

Charlotte's growth rate increased because of the pandemic and its region is in two states. The two regions are different, and I don't understand why you brought up Raleigh/Durham in this discussion. I'm happy to see ABC/Disney is holding on to WTVD, Univision with WUVC. and NBCU has its Telemundo O&O in the market. 

Charlotte is the larger one with 3 professional sport franchises and host site for NASCAR & ACC tourneys. It'll be in the top 20 in less than 5 years from now along eventually in the top 15 due to its size. It's weird the "whataboutism" always including Raleigh/Durham when it's irrelevant in the conversation.

My point is Fox has intentions of returning to the Charlotte DMA.

Edited by jero23

• 1 month later...

WJZY has been on the temp set in the newsroom since February. Wonder when the new studio is set to debut. I would guess perhaps in time for the May ratings period. Meanwhile WSOC looks decent but dated. They should be next to upgrade, perhaps similar to flagship WSB in Atlanta which is more modern and impressive. But I think Nexstar continues to do a good job upgrading the news product at WJZY and hopefully the new set will be an improvement.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

What's taking them so long?  Trying to sell the station again?  Bueller? Bueller?

Almost as if there's a global pandemic still raging in other parts of the world and supply chains are still disrupted...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It seems odd since they're still on their temporary set, almost like their plans were interrupted midstream. (Parts and labor shortages could be a real possibility)  Plus with other Nexstar stations getting upgrades, it reeks of poor planning and just being low on Nexstar's priority list at this point.  If they would have known this ahead of time then why would they have rip out the old set?  Unplanned interruption hopefully is the case of that rather than changing up things mid-project 

On 5/31/2021 at 2:06 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

It seems odd since they're still on their temporary set, almost like their plans were interrupted midstream. (Parts and labor shortages could be a real possibility)  Plus with other Nexstar stations getting upgrades, it reeks of poor planning and just being low on Nexstar's priority list at this point.  If they would have known this ahead of time then why would they have rip out the old set?  Unplanned interruption hopefully is the case of that rather than changing up things mid-project 

On 5/31/2021 at 11:57 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

What's taking them so long?  Trying to sell the station again?  Bueller? Bueller?

Watch they never get a new newscast set and wind up broadcasting from the newsroom until they are sold again...  This reeks of what happened to WFXT/Boston until it was pawned off to Cox.  It's not a bad setup for a newscast newsroom set with the colored lighting, mounted monitors, and whatnot. However, this market is too damn big to be having such weird issues on rebuilding a new news set, pandemic or not. I think there was a decision higher up the Nexstar food chain to stop rebuilding the newscast set as there's something else in the works.

Edited by jero23
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jero23 said:

Watch they never get a new newscast set and wind up broadcasting from the newsroom until they are sold again...  This reeks of what happened to WFXT/Boston until it was pawned off to Cox.  It's not a bad setup for a newscast newsroom set with the colored lighting, mounted monitors, and whatnot. However, this market is too damn big to be having such weird issues on rebuilding a new news set, pandemic or not. I think there was a decision higher up the Nexstar food chain to stop rebuilding the newscast set as there's something else in the works.

Or did they pull a WNBC and had to scrap it because they didn’t like how it turned out and it’s back to square one...

then again it took KGO almost 6 months to debut their set.

Edited by SFTV
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

It has been a little over three months. I really don't see how the timetable of a new set could possibly portend the sale of a station. I also think it is unfair to say that this is a product of poor planning because it doesn't fit someone's personal timetable. Plus what are these supposed "weird issues" WJZY is having with this rebuild? Just because people on this board think the studio should have launched by now, doesn't mean that it was ever the station's timetable. I think it is fine to wonder when it will be debuting but to travel down the path that this set timetable means the station is for sale, that people didn't plan, or that something has gone wrong is conjecture that is unwarranted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SFTV said:

Or did they pull a WNBC and had to scrap it because they didn’t like how it turned out and it’s back to square one...

then again it took KGO almost 6 months to debut their set.

You're comparing cheapskate Nexstar to Disney/ABC and NBC Universal O&Os? Uh no, as a matter fact hell no... 

4 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

It has been a little over three months. I really don't see how the timetable of a new set could possibly portend the sale of a station. I also think it is unfair to say that this is a product of poor planning because it doesn't fit someone's personal timetable. Plus what are these supposed "weird issues" WJZY is having with this rebuild? Just because people on this board think the studio should have launched by now, doesn't mean that it was ever the station's timetable. I think it is fine to wonder when it will be debuting but to travel down the path that this set timetable means the station is for sale, that people didn't plan, or that something has gone wrong is conjecture that is unwarranted. 

It doesn't take long to rebuild a newscast set... Half the time Nexstar is so cheap they'll already bring in another deconstructed old set from another property with minor alterations like the city skyline, etc. If you want to believe otherwise, okay... 

Edited by jero23

Nexstar also took a long time building the new set for WSPA, which finally debuted back in December after almost 5 months. There were supply chain issues, and they had to await shipment of robotic cameras. And they had to train the talent for staging in the new studio, which is more of a stand up set rather than a traditional sit down anchor desk. It has a modern look with multiple monitor walls and I believe it was designed by FX. Not sure what the issue may be at WJZY or who has designed the new set. But I hope they still have a sit down anchor desk. And speaking of which, I don't understand why they have the anchors at WBTV stand at the anchor desk. Just doesn't look right. I prefer a traditional anchor desk intermixed with some stand ups at the monitor wall. Hope that will be the case with WJZY.

2 hours ago, tylerSC said:

Nexstar also took a long time building the new set for WSPA, which finally debuted back in December after almost 5 months. There were supply chain issues, and they had to await shipment of robotic cameras. And they had to train the talent for staging in the new studio, which is more of a stand up set rather than a traditional sit down anchor desk. It has a modern look with multiple monitor walls and I believe it was designed by FX. Not sure what the issue may be at WJZY or who has designed the new set. But I hope they still have a sit down anchor desk. And speaking of which, I don't understand why they have the anchors at WBTV stand at the anchor desk. Just doesn't look right. I prefer a traditional anchor desk intermixed with some stand ups at the monitor wall. Hope that will be the case with WJZY.

No. WSPA's new set was done in-house, and has similarities to a few other Nexstar-designed sets that have rolled out over the last year or two.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 3:13 PM, TennTV1983 said:

No. WSPA's new set was done in-house, and has similarities to a few other Nexstar-designed sets that have rolled out over the last year or two.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought I read it was designed by FX but perhaps it was their previous set or some other Nexstar station. But it does have a modern look with multiple monitors. But do we know who is designing the WJZY set?

On 6/4/2021 at 12:00 PM, tylerSC said:

If anybody took a long time to get their set, it would have to be WREG. They took about 5 months to get rid of the newsroom, repaint the walls, and build the new set. They are now doing construction to build a new newsroom.

Another long-time renovation was WEWS back in 1998.  It was part of a studio swap and overall renovation to their station, especially their newsroom.  One of the sets had an open view to their newsroom. The news portion took the larger space while the other studio became home to It's Academic (Academic Challenge) and the Ohio Lottery drawings they produced at the time.

It was pretty seamless, since they were able to re-purpose their existing 1995 set until the new one was finished.  The only noticeable difference was when they did weather cut-ins for severe weather, it was clearly from an office elsewhere in the building.  They were more frequent, since they opted to do wall-to-wall for just thunderstorms back then.  The Novocom graphics started in April and the set debuted in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...

More top talent leaving WJZY. Just saw last show for sports anchor Josh Sims. Sports coverage is good on WJZY, so not sure why he is leaving. Nor why popular weatherman Nick Kosir left. Or morning anchor Brigida Mack. Or investigative reporter Matt Grant. Why can't Nexstar keep their top talent? While the news product seems to be improving, it just seems to be a revolving door over there. And still waiting on the new set.

• Like 2

I standby what I said earlier, WJZY & WMYT will be sold again is why what is going on with on-air talent departures. Nexstar only wants the stations because FTS was willing to pawn off for Seattle and Milwaukee Fox affiliates. Nexstar is cheap and bad for business in a rapidly growing, major market like Charlotte. It's why Nexstar is dismantling great locally recognized talent by ending or not renewing all of this valuable talent. You also going to continue seeing this newsroom set...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/21/2021 at 11:51 PM, tylerSC said:

More top talent leaving WJZY. Just saw last show for sports anchor Josh Sims. Sports coverage is good on WJZY, so not sure why he is leaving. Nor why popular weatherman Nick Kosir left. Or morning anchor Brigida Mack. Or investigative reporter Matt Grant. Why can't Nexstar keep their top talent? While the news product seems to be improving, it just seems to be a revolving door over there. And still waiting on the new set.

They did get Annie Szatkowski from the Fox affiliate in Grand Rapids for Good Day Charlotte weekends back in April. I didn’t even know she had joined the station until she filled in for Jason Harper last week on the weekday version. I think she might have replaced Rochelle Metzger, who I had no idea had left. 

Edited by Nelson R.

7 hours ago, jero23 said:

I standby what I said earlier, WJZY & WMYT will be sold again is why what is going on with on-air talent departures. Nexstar only wants the stations because FTS was willing to pawn off for Seattle and Milwaukee Fox affiliates. Nexstar is cheap and bad for business in a rapidly growing, major market like Charlotte. It's why Nexstar is dismantling great locally recognized talent by ending or not renewing all of this valuable talent. You also going to continue seeing this newsroom set...

Time will tell, but I continue to believe that they are still getting a new set.  Their current set-up in the newsroom definitely has a "temporary" look to it.  There seems to be a large printed curtain to one side of the newsroom behind the talent...or at least that's the closest thing I can compare it to.  I also believe it's increasingly possible that they will adopt Nexstar graphics...given that the Fox graphics is now over a year old for the station. 

Besides, Fox 46 losing big talent is only half the story.  A number of people have also joined the station in the more recent past, including some from KOLR10 in the last year or two.

Edited by TheRyan

8 hours ago, jero23 said:

Uh. No... I have inside information indicating that Nexstar is actively investing in WJZY & WMYT. They are planning to keep it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Talent departures--Nick Kosir just got hired at Fox Weather.  Matt Grant got a job in Texas with a station that's known for their investigative reporting.  Both left for good jobs.  You can look at their social media in two seconds and figure that out.  You can also see that they've hired a ton of people, though, lately. 

Word on the street from a Charlotte media person who I showed this thread to--there's too much speculation on here and a lot of it not actually accurate.  They said the chances of a sale are zilch, and that many of the 'talent departures' are actually not as scandalous as portrayed on this thread (i.e. no drama).  They couldn't address the set delay (they don't actually work there, but within the industry and are aware of the rumor mill), but they did say it's common knowledge that a lot of investment is going into the station, and it's more than Fox put into it.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 12:42 PM, JackityJack said:

Word on the street from a Charlotte media person who I showed this thread to--there's too much speculation on here and a lot of it not actually accurate.  They said the chances of a sale are zilch, and that many of the 'talent departures' are actually not as scandalous as portrayed on this thread (i.e. no drama).  They couldn't address the set delay (they don't actually work there, but within the industry and are aware of the rumor mill), but they did say it's common knowledge that a lot of investment is going into the station, and it's more than Fox put into it.

I second @JackityJack's comments. People in the industry are watching WJZY closely. Nexstar is looking at all aspects of this station as they believe it was under performing due to poor allocation of resources under FOX. For example, FOX requires stations to execute a heavy quarterly marketing spend. This was evident early in WJZY's run as a FOX affiliate. They plastered the region with billboards and radio/cable commercials for their Fox News Carolinas Primetime, as it was then known, which was a trainwreck...as most products are at launch. Instead of quietly launching, working to find their voice, and THEN advertising, they spent heavily and drove curiosity viewing of a bad product. This put them in a hole that one could argue they are still working to climb out of. The list goes on, but that's just one concrete example. 

As for talent departures, there's no drama. As contracts end, Nexstar is looking to put their own stamp on talent. While it is always sad when contracts aren't renewed, it comes with the territory. And when you are on a morning show that still scratches every now and then, it can't be a surprise that the new owners are looking to shake things up. None of this is evidence of FOX returning to Charlotte. It is just a new owner looking to invest in their new property. Whatever your personal opinion of Nexstar is, that's your choice. But people at rival stations and inside WJZY are watching with curiosity as Nexstar amps up the investment for the future. 

• Like 3