WJZY set

ScottSchell

The setup they had was unconventional for a news operation to begin with. https://jhdgroup.net/portfolio/wjzy-news-studios/

That's not a knock on JHD Group though as they do some very good quality work (and did come back to put in a proper news area), but you should never make your news studio into one big lounge.

Jason Harper posted a behind the scenes walk through on Twitter. Their space is beyond small as that building was not constructed with a news producing station in mind but they are making the best of it. Personally, I think their newsroom set up is the best their on-air look has been since the station became a FOX affiliate. 

Edited by carolinanews4

16 minutes ago, carolinanews4 said:

Jason Harper posted a behind the scenes walk through on Twitter. Their space is beyond small as that building was not constructed with a news producing station in mind but they are making the best of it. Personally, I think their newsroom set up is the best their on-air look has been since the station became a FOX affiliate. 

When Fox first bought the station, the rumor was that they were going to go to the Speed Channel studios on Harris Boulevard but that never came to be. 

2 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

When Fox first bought the station, the rumor was that they were going to go to the Speed Channel studios on Harris Boulevard but that never came to be. 

I thought the WJZY set which FOX had recently renovated looked good. They had a nice scenic backdrop news desk, a video wall stand up area, a sit down interview area, and the old kitchen area for the morning show. But I guess Nexstar has other plans. I wonder if it will look similar to WSPA in Spartanburg which has a lot of video walls designed by FX. As for the graphics, the current FOX package looks sharp and I hope they don't change it. And the temp set up in the newsroom actually looks pretty good. I guess we'll see what the future brings.

I think WSOC should be next to build a new set. Their current set debuted in 2012, so it is almost 10 years old. Although they modified the skyline backdrop about 2 years ago. It looks decent but dated. Needs something more modern like Cox flagship WSB in Atlanta.

21 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I'm sure the current O&O look has an expiration date on it as part of the sale from Fox.   Unlike the prior package from 2007, they're not really syndicating it (or making it readily available) to other groups for them to use.

In lieu of Nexstar's low budget Fox look?  Yeah... I keep telling you all this Nexstar ownership of this Charlotte duo will be shortlived. Fox isn't stupid just wanted their hands on KCPQ/KZJO in their hands while Nexstar waste money on building up a news operation they were too cash strap to do themselves.  Charlotte is destined to be a top 15 market, and Fox will be back. Isn't ironic that Fox has expanded its FS1 facility across Charlotte?  It's only a matter of time before its right back in their hands and Nexstar is back out of Charlotte for everyone's sake.  

Edited by jero23
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, jero23 said:

In lieu of Nexstar's low budget Fox look?  Yeah... I keep tell you all this Nexstar ownership of this Charlotte duo will be shortlived. Fox isn't stupid just wanted their hands on KCPQ/KZJO in their hands while Nexstar waste money on building up a news operation they were too cash strap to do themselves.  Charlotte is destined to be a top 15 market, and Fox will be back. Isn't ironic that Fox has expanded its FS1 facility across Charlotte?  It's only a matter of time before its right back in their hands and Nexstar is back out of Charlotte for everyone's sake.  

You think they're expanding the FS1 facility to bring in a local television operation? 

Charlotte needs to add like 500,000 people to make it into the top 15, when do you see that happening?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, noggi said:

You think they're expanding the FS1 facility to bring in a local television operation? 

Charlotte needs to add like 500,000 people to make it into the top 15, when do you see that happening?

Sooner than you think. Metro Charlotte is gaining like 200 new residents per day now as verified by the consolidated development & building services department of the City & Mecklenburg County in last count of permits in 2020. Charlotte is in the top 5 fastest growing large metro regions in the US.  It's bound to leap past most of the current places ranked #15-20 in the Neilsen DMA rankings in the next few years.

It's also the hub for NASCAR and becoming the ACC football tournament champion host along with being a NFC & MLS franchise market. 

Fox does stuff that looks stupid on the surface at the time but benefits themselves in the end.

I can only wonder how much longer Bahakel will hold on, and how much money will it take for them to finally cash out.   Even if they have to take the other stations (which could be REALLY interesting in Montgomery, AL)...

but that's another story for another day in the speculatron.

WCCB would have been FOX's first choice, but they didn't budge, and that's why we have Fox 46 for now....

On 3/1/2021 at 5:58 PM, Nelson R. said:

I heard that same rumor. I talked with a buddy who worked at Speed, now FS1, and he said it was nothing more than a rumor. Internally there were never any discussions about it. He said Fox had a preference to keep local and national under separate roofs for redundancy purposes.  He pointed to how WNWY has stayed on the Upper East Side while cable cousin FNC is in Midtown. Plus they had, at the time, maxed out their studio space on Harris Blvd. So there wouldn't have been floor space for a local round-the-clock news operation. That all made sense to me. What didn't make sense is why on earth they chose to stay put instead of building out space elsewhere. Heck, WCCB's studios seem like vast Hollywood Studio Lot compared to WJZY. But ultimately the management team responsible for launching the station decided to invest resources elsewhere. Then once they stumbled out of the gate, Fox wasn't going to give them any more money until ratings - and thus revenue - picked up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, carolinanews4 said:

I heard that same rumor. I talked with a buddy who worked at Speed, now FS1, and he said it was nothing more than a rumor. Internally there were never any discussions about it. He said Fox had a preference to keep local and national under separate roofs for redundancy purposes.  He pointed to how WNWY has stayed on the Upper East Side while cable cousin FNC is in Midtown. Plus they had, at the time, maxed out their studio space on Harris Blvd. So there wouldn't have been floor space for a local round-the-clock news operation. That all made sense to me. What didn't make sense is why on earth they chose to stay put instead of building out space elsewhere. Heck, WCCB's studios seem like vast Hollywood Studio Lot compared to WJZY. But ultimately the management team responsible for launching the station decided to invest resources elsewhere. Then once they stumbled out of the gate, Fox wasn't going to give them any more money until ratings - and thus revenue - picked up.

It was reported in The Charlotte Observer. That’s how I knew about it.

Edited by Nelson R.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:05 PM, jero23 said:

Sooner than you think. Metro Charlotte is gaining like 200 new residents per day now as verified by the consolidated development & building services department of the City & Mecklenburg County in last count of permits in 2020. Charlotte is in the top 5 fastest growing large metro regions in the US.  It's bound to leap past most of the current places ranked #15-20 in the Neilsen DMA rankings in the next few years.

It's also the hub for NASCAR and becoming the ACC football tournament champion host along with being a NFC & MLS franchise market. 

Fox does stuff that looks stupid on the surface at the time but benefits themselves in the end.

Raleigh growing faster bud, but it get it.

On 3/4/2021 at 8:34 PM, Gavin said:

Raleigh growing faster bud, but it get it.

Actually, Raleigh is not, but you'll see soon enough when the Census numbers are released in 2022. Charlotte eased passed Raleigh in growth rate in 2020 during the pandemic. 

Edited by jero23

Just now, jero23 said:

Actually,  it's not, but you'll see soon enough when ghe Census numbers are released 

Well have too see Raleigh-Cary MSA probably will get recombined with the Durham-Chapel Hill MSA. Raleigh adds at least 100 residents a day. I don't know the metro numbers.

Just now, Gavin said:

Well have too see Raleigh-Cary MSA probably will get recombined with the Durham-Chapel Hill MSA. Raleigh adds at least 100 residents a day. I don't know the metro numbers.

The Charlotte MSA is gaining approx. 200 persons/day as of 2020 (Charlotte proper is approx. 160 persons/day during the same period).  The overall rate of growth I was referring to above post is the Charlotte DMA . 

Just now, jero23 said:

The Charlotte MSA is gaining approx. 200 persons/day as of 2020 (Charlotte proper is approx. 160 persons/day during the same period).  The overall rate of growth I was referring to above post is the Charlotte DMA . 

I don't have have Raleigh numbers, where's you source?