Report: ESPN likely getting at least part of NHL rights

Georgie56

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/28/2021 at 7:08 AM, Techster said:

Is Gary Thorne available? Would love to see him back in the booth for the NHL on ESPN.

I doubt it, I believe that he may be somewhat retired after MASN took him off Orioles coverage.

On 4/28/2021 at 7:08 AM, Techster said:

Is Gary Thorne available? Would love to see him back in the booth for the NHL on ESPN.

13 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

I doubt it, I believe that he may be somewhat retired after MASN took him off Orioles coverage.

In an interview with The Athletic's Richard Deitsch, he did express interest in joining their NHL coverage. The ball is in ESPN's court now.

Just now, Georgie56 said:

In an interview with the Athletic's Richard Deitsch, he did express interest in joining their NHL coverage. The ball is in ESPN's court now.

He may be interested, but I don't think ESPN or Turner would have much interest in a soon-to-be 73-year-old who hasn't regularly called hockey in several years. ESPN might give him a couple assignments because of his history with their NHL coverage but I don't see him getting a regular spot with either company.

2 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

He will be announcing for the Seattle Kraken when they start up play.

Doesn't mean anything. With the exception of Mike Tirico, all of NBC's current pbp guys have jobs with teams. Kenny Albert is the Ranger's radio voice, Brenden Burke is the TV voice of the Islanders, Gord Miller does TSN games. Point being, having a local gig with a team doesn't preclude anyone from doing national work. 

I too would be shocked if Forsy isn't on the roster of either ESPN or Turner when next season starts.

33 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Doesn't mean anything. With the exception of Mike Tirico, all of NBC's current pbp guys have jobs with teams. Kenny Albert is the Ranger's radio voice, Brenden Burke is the TV voice of the Islanders, Gord Miller does TSN games. Point being, having a local gig with a team doesn't preclude anyone from doing national work. 

I too would be shocked if Forsy isn't on the roster of either ESPN or Turner when next season starts.

It's always been the case with NBC, even going back to the OLN/Versus days.

1 hour ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

It's always been the case with NBC, even going back to the OLN/Versus days.

Also, the Doc Emerick was the voice of the Devils, while Gary Thorne has done MLB, Mets & Orioles, as the RSN level.

Most of the network's insert graphics (intermission scores, etc.) adopted that new look in like 2019, and it took them til the final couple months to roll out the full look. They better hope that no team scores in the double digits, because it doesn't look like they have room for an added 1.

17 minutes ago, Viper550 said:

Well this is easily going to be one of the shortest-lived graphics packages in sports history...

Why even bother, and why didn't they launch the graphics at the start of the season? I think the NBC Sports Regional networks will use these same graphics as well, they'll be the only ones starting next season.

John Davidson, who was an analyst for games on MSG, FOX, NBC, and CBS (1998 Olympics), may now be available.

36 minutes ago, Viper550 said:

Well this is easily going to be one of the shortest-lived graphics packages in sports history...

At least they'll have something for the playoffs. I remember when NBC introduced their 1998 Sports package, six months after losing NFL.

19 minutes ago, JCB4TV said:

John Davidson, who was an analyst for games on MSG, FOX, NBC, and CBS (1998 Olympics), may now be available.

At least they'll have something for the playoffs. I remember when NBC introduced their 1998 Sports package, six months after losing NFL.

I would love that. I miss JD calling games so I wouldn't mind him somewhere 

1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

John was always one of my favorite color commentators, maybe ESPN will bring him back.

2 hours ago, Viper550 said:

About time they got a SOG counter (too little too late though).

Someone on Twitter claimed this was a focus group design for TNT that NBC was apparently "testing" for them (though it matches up more with NBC's current inserts/etc. for the NHL. I bet it's probably going to be like Sportsnet's scoreboard but skinned to look like the March Madness one or something, I don't know), but they also claimed this was the worst-received design, so it may be coincidence more than anything.

5 minutes ago, Viper550 said:

Someone on Twitter claimed this was a focus group design for TNT that NBC was apparently "testing" for them (though it matches up more with NBC's current inserts/etc. for the NHL. I bet it's probably going to be like Sportsnet's scoreboard but skinned to look like the March Madness one or something, I don't know), but they also claimed this was the worst-received design, so it may be coincidence more than anything.

Yeah....I doubt this is true 😂🤣

The banner on the score bug said Wednesday Night Hockey, which could mean it was specific to it, let's see what the rest of the season and playoffs bring as the NHL on NBC comes to a close.

From my prospective, I believe that NBC is not in a hurry to update their non-NFL sports graphics as the current package debuted with the 2015 Winter Classic.

1 hour ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Yeah I'm sure these will be hand-me-downs to the RSNs and whatever college hockey they'll be broadcasting next year.

Also the Sharks-Avs game that followed is still using the old look.

The commentators for Avalanche-Sharks are the regular Sharks team, which means that the game is being produced by NBCSBA/CA.

7 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Is it me, or does the clock area look it it's designed for baseball? I could easily see them using the corners of that diamond to indicate occupied bases.

I agree with you, especially with using a diamond in the graphics.

Archived