Rush Limbaugh has died at 70

swillh2k2

• swillh2k2 changed the title to Rush Limbaugh has died at 70
34 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

A major loss to the talk radio community for sure. 

No matter what many may think of him, for better or worse, he paved the way for AM radio to have a second life as a home for talk radio, giving that medium a few more decades of viability.

That is true-- I was never the fan of his (or of his show or style), but he did have many fans, and it would be best not to insult those fans.

9 minutes ago, bmasters1 said:

That is true-- I was never the fan of his (or of his show or style), but he did have many fans, and it would be best not to insult those fans.

The keyboard warriors on Facebook could use that advice- The amount of "laugh" emojis being used...

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but finding laughter or happiness in someone who dies from cancer is pathetic- regardless if you agree with their views or not.

And of course the Rush fan base is already pointing that out in the comments sections of those Facebook posts...

15 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but finding laughter or happiness in someone who dies from cancer is pathetic- regardless if you agree with their views or not.

True that, also-- but what if it's just a quiet sense of happiness, one where you do not rub it in the faces of his fans, whether on social media or to those fans' faces?

I'm saddened to hear Rush has passed.  He has left a legacy that will endure for generations on talk radio and beyond.   It's really unfortunate that some people are celebrating his passing.    I can only hope that those celebrating Rush's death are a small minority of people; I believe that people, regardless of political persuasion, should at least agree to offer their sincere condolences to Rush's family.

2 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I'm saddened to hear Rush has passed.  He has left a legacy that will endure for generations on talk radio and beyond.   It's really unfortunate that some people are celebrating his passing.    I can only hope that those celebrating Rush's death are a small minority of people; I believe that people, regardless of political persuasion, should at least agree to offer their sincere condolences to Rush's family.

Indeed-- I'll look at it this way, too: when it came to Rush and Michael J. Fox, what if the shoe were on the other foot, and Michael J. Fox was the shock jock, and Rush had the same things said about him that Rush said about Michael J. Fox; how would Rush have felt in that situation?

3 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Too bad Rush didn't see it that way when he mocked people dying of AIDS in a daily segment...

I have to wonder how much of his on air persona was just a character he played on the radio; similar to 'The Colbert Report' on Comedy Central.  Love him or hate him, he was an astute personality and successful businessman.  I would not be surprised if he truly didn't agree with some things he said on air, but would just say it to get people to tune in.  More ears equal more dollars.

1 hour ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

I'll look at him this way. He was successful for what he did on the radio to the point you have people copy his act. Was he a jackass? absolutely with out a doubt, but we have to admit he changed talk radio as we know it.

Amen. Despite his toxic views, I'll remember Rush as a trailblazer in the world of talk radio.

I never liked Rush as a personality, but love him or hate him, he changed radio as we know it. Many of his stations carried the show for a long time. I also wonder if his persona was an act and if he really believed everything he said. I'm very sad for everyone who knew him as well.

He leaves a mixed legacy. Rush did, in a big way, give a new lease on life to AM radio. In the late '80s, music on AM was dying and talk radio probably saved AM. 

On the other hand, his vitriol has done a great disservice to American political discourse. And a disservice to broadcasting as talk hosts like Bob Lassiter were pushed aside in favor of people parroting one political viewpoint at the expense of other voices. 

Rush has forever paved the way for many of the conservative firebrands to follow such as Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Hugh Hewitt, Dennis Prager and others. People may like him, people won't. But you got to give credit, he has injected new life into AM talk radio and he'll shall be missed by those who knew him best. May the "Golden Microphone" continue to live on in heaven. Godspeed.

• 1 month later...

Loved Rush, his potential replacements not so much. They're all pretty boring because they don't understand or can't pull off the entertainment side of radio like Rush could. They are all "blah blah blah, Democrats suck, liberal liberal liberal." Not much different than putting George Stephanopoulos on the radio and letting him drone on for 3 hours a day.

50 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Loved Rush, his potential replacements not so much. They're all pretty boring because they don't understand or can't pull off the entertainment side of radio like Rush could. They are all "blah blah blah, Democrats suck, liberal liberal liberal." Not much different than putting George Stephanopoulos on the radio and letting him drone on for 3 hours a day.

Neither one is that good-- it would, IMO, be just as much the waste of air time to hear "Republicans this, conservatives that, blah blah blah" for 3 hours, as it would be to hear "Democrats this, liberals that, blah blah blah" for 3 hours.

Archived