Cumulus Country Stations Drop Morgan Wallen

GodfreyGR

Not directly related to radio operations in the way this board discusses them, but it looks like pressure is on country radio stations to drop Morgan Wallen after TMZ got video of him using the n-word openly... Cumulus has already ordered its' stations to stop playing his music.

To be clear- I think it's completely inexcusable to say what he said, but to play devils advocate, he has a number of hits currently playing on radio and a large following...

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/morgan-wallen-country-radio-removed-racial-slur-1234899010/

3 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Not directly related to radio operations in the way this board discusses them, but it looks like pressure is on country radio stations to drop Morgan Wallen after TMZ got video of him using the n-word openly... Cumulus has already ordered its' stations to stop playing his music.

To be clear- I think it's completely inexcusable to say what he said, but to play devils advocate, he has a number of hits currently playing on radio and a large following...

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/morgan-wallen-country-radio-removed-racial-slur-1234899010/

That also happened to the Dixie Chicks over their Bush comments years ago. Brooks and Dunn opposed Cumulus's ban, saying that it's "Censorship" by banning any musician's songs.

4 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

it looks like pressure is on country radio stations to drop Morgan Wallen after TMZ got video of him using the n-word openly... Cumulus has already ordered its' stations to stop playing his music.

That's what he gets for using a racial slur in any way. But mark my words, he'll be back on the dial soon enough -- either because of the controversy blowing over or thanks to his fans calling for a boycott by crying and whining that their boy is being "cancelled" and "cancelled". In fact, I'm very sure they have an issue with their golden idol being "silenced" (even though they can still find his music on YouTube) more than with any of their favorite Country artists using racial slurs (let alone the N-word). Considering what country fans mostly are, I'm not at all surprised.

1 hour ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Brooks and Dunn opposed Cumulus's ban, saying that it's "Censorship" by banning any musician's songs.

It's hilarious (and quite eyeopening) that one country star (or group in this case) is taking umbrage over the fact that another is not being dealt with in the industry at the moment instead of the good reason they won't be dealt with at the moment. (see first half above) 

59 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

That's what he gets for using a racial slur in any way. But mark my words, he'll be back on the dial soon enough -- either because of the controversy blowing over or thanks to his fans calling for a boycott by crying and whining that their boy is being "cancelled" and "cancelled". In fact, I'm very sure they have an issue with their golden idol being "silenced" (even though they can still find his music on YouTube) more than with any of their favorite Country artists using racial slurs (let alone the N-word). Considering what country fans mostly are, I'm not at all surprised.

It's hilarious (and quite eyeopening) that one country star (or group in this case) is taking umbrage over the fact that another is not being dealt with in the industry at the moment instead of the good reason they won't be dealt with at the moment. (see first half above) 

This is just like what happened to Roseanne when she made that tweet. The reruns were gone for a month and than came back when it was only a memory. Same thing with Michael Jackson when that movie came about. This is why I'm surprised COPS or Live PD haven't come back yet, either new or reruns. Live PD's cancellation led to a boycott of A&E, which is still ongoing, although it's died down compared to last summer. 

On 2/3/2021 at 5:47 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

This is just like what happened to Roseanne when she made that tweet. when that movie came about. Same thing with Michael Jackson when that movie came about.

They got what they deserved then too.

In her case, Roseanne put her own self in ruin and the revival cast out of jobs with that tweet. Both (but especially she) should've known better (so did ABC when they commissioned the Roseanne revival, but still).

2 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

They got what they deserved then too.

In her case, Roseanne put her own self in ruin and the revival cast out of jobs with that tweet. Both (but especially she) should've known better (so did ABC when they commissioned the Roseanne revival, but still).

I think ABC should've equally known better as she was known to run her mouth off even before the tweet. 

Archived