• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gotta give it to him, he's ambitious af.

Not the place to discuss, especially like that with repeated comments.

Who thought I would go from 'Byron Allen produces cheap programming and horrid cable networks' in 2015 to 'Byron Allen is doing his damnedest to save broadcast and digital multicast TV for the next ge

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

Allen Media Group has purchased 7 stations from Gray as part of a divesture following the latter's acquisition of Quincy Media.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/allen-media-grey-teevision-stations-deal-quincy-media-1234746691/

There we go. Allen is finally on the move affiliate-wise. I expected them to buy out Quincy outright but this is good too

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

It also appears that Gray will give up Rockford's WREX to Allen as well. 

Gray probably didn't want to deal with any regulatory hurdles as they're also trying to get a full power RF 9 license in that market.

Most likely the case. That was probably a sticking point there. 

1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

There we go. Allen is finally on the move affiliate-wise. I expected them to buy out Quincy outright but this is good too

Who thought I would go from 'Byron Allen produces cheap programming and horrid cable networks' in 2015 to 'Byron Allen is doing his damnedest to save broadcast and digital multicast TV for the next generation, and is doubling down on The Weather Channel and streaming too with the gobs of money he makes from those cheap shows and horrid cable networks' now?

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Byron Allen would be the type of person that could buy all of Meredith, including their print assets.   Coupled with his current assets plus the pickups from Quincy, this is a decent sized group that could grow even larger.

Now wouldn't that be something for some of the most storied magazine brands to be under minority ownership. 

While the magazines themselves are an albatross, the brand equity is huge.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3

A minor thing connected to the sale of the stations to Allen; Charter settled the $10 billion lawsuit a few months ago Allen filed to get his networks on.

It's likely that Allen settled because he now owns local stations he can leverage to get his networks on Spectrum, because this weekend, five of the ESN networks have appeared on Spectrum systems, suggesting they have a new carriage agreement for them, the Weather Channel, and any current and future Allen stations (very important for Wisconsin as it's a Spectrum-dominated state), so at least for that part of the deal, there's less threat of direct agitation between Allen and Spectrum for the next three years.

• Like 3

I also saw Byron Allen's 5 networks were added on Charter Spectrum also why Comcast settled as well. I have no interest in them Justice is just his court shows that are on the local TV station largely WXSP carries most of them CW7 airs Judge Ross show.

I kinda wonder if Charter Spectrum just added ACCUWeather Network that The Weather Channel deal was coming up before Charter and Byron settled the lawsuit will never know.

The paperwork is up for the Allen transactions. And the Gray apps have been amended to include the spinoffs to Allen.

And going back to Rockford. There's a carriage agreement between Allen & Gray, in which upon closing of the Quincy deal, WREX will carry WIFR-LD's signal on its .2 subchannel. 

Hopefully this carriage will be in the short term, as Gray tries to get approval of that new full power license.

But Gray needs to deal with the Eagle River situation. If you're keeping WYOW, why not withdrawl the RF 26 petition? Or give WYOW to Allen and wait for the grant for the Channel 26 license. I strongly doubt this Democratic-run FCC is going to grant them both.