Gray to acquire Quincy Media.

CircleSeven

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, hfiles said:

I'm curious to see who gobbles up the WI stations. The amount of stations that would need to be divested made me think Gray wouldn't have been a good fit, but obviously they saw things differently.

I think that's the thing about M&A I think often times we don't think of other companies that while they may have a ton of divestitures or whatever however the things that matters is the way the companies are managed and the geographical footprint. Those are the 2 crucial factors that I think all of us (even myself) have to start doing a better job of looking at when it comes to M&A.

I feel like all of us in here underestimated Gray here solely because of the amount of overlaps they had with Quincy while not even considering the things the 2 companies share in common in terms of the management style (both of them being family owned and operated companies with decades of experience) and the geographical footprint (Gray's and Quincy's stations fit each other like a glove)

That's why and how Gray was able to edge out the heavy favorites like Standard, Allen, Cox and even Tegna.

1 minute ago, dman748 said:

I think that's the thing about M&A I think often times we don't think of other companies that while they may have a ton of divestitures or whatever however the things that matters is the way the companies are managed and the geographical footprint. Those are the 2 crucial factors that I think all of us (even myself) have to start doing a better job of looking at when it comes to M&A.

I feel like all of us in here underestimated Gray here solely because of the amount of overlaps they had with Quincy while not even considering the things the 2 companies share in common in terms of the management style (both of them being family owned and operated companies with decades of experience) and the geographical footprint (Gray's and Quincy's stations fit each other like a glove)

That's why and how Gray was able to edge out the heavy favorites like Standard, Allen, Cox and even Tegna.

A lot of this is why I had pegged NPG actually, but this is very much the case. Quincy's board clearly valued the culture fit at the prospective buyers relative to their own for who should get the broadcasting portion of the company. When private, closely held companies sell assets they have owned for generations, that often is the case.

Just now, Yankees4life said:

I wonder who are gonna be the takers for those extra stations. I guess Lockwood could come in and scoop them up...

I wonder who are gonna be the takers for those extra stations. I guess Lockwood could come in and scoop them up...

Not the place to discuss, especially like that with repeated comments.

6 hours ago, channel2 said:

Why do people make such a big deal out of overlaps anyway? It wasn't even a whole year ago that Gray tried to buy TEGNA and those two had a shitton of conflicts.

That's exactly my point. It doesn't matter how many markets do two companies that merge compete in. What matters is the common interests, how the companies are managed and most importantly, geographical footprint.

I can't say I'm that surprised about Gray buying Quincy. 

I appreciate how Quincy retained unique newscast identities for certain stations, including "Heart of Illinois ABC" (formerly HOI 19), on WEEK's sub-channel.  There are other examples of course.  But I hope that Gray doesn't meddle with that -- only time will tell.  That is perhaps my biggest concern regarding the Quincy stations.

On a separate note, I'm especially glad that WSIL and KVOA are getting re-sold, instead of being absorbed into Gray.  Hopefully they will go to a good owner.

20 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

With Gray acquiring Quincy Media, what's the future for WSJV? Are they going to drop H&I and become an independent station or thinking about rejoining ABC.

This is what I’m curious about. For all intents and purposes WSJV is nothing more than a transmitter and a satellite dish, but it is a full power signal.

Given Gray’s fascination with LPTVs to help circumvent market regs, I can’t help but think that they’ll do a license swap with Weigel, moving WSJV and their IP over to the low-power 57, while Weigel gets WBND onto the full-power 28.

But again, WSJV is not like any of the other Quincy stations in conflict with Gray, it’s nothing more than a transmitter now. What had been WSJV is now a WSBT sub.

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

This is what I’m curious about. For all intents and purposes WSJV is nothing more than a transmitter and a satellite dish, but it is a full power signal.

Given Gray’s fascination with LPTVs to help circumvent market regs, I can’t help but think that they’ll do a license swap with Weigel, moving WSJV and their IP over to the low-power 57, while Weigel gets WBND onto the full-power 28.

But again, WSJV is not like any of the other Quincy stations in conflict with Gray, it’s nothing more than a transmitter now. What had been WSJV is now a WSBT sub.

Seems to me that Weigel would gladly give up WBND, and the hassle of dealing with ABC, to get a full power stick and one of their own networks. In a hypothetical trade, Gray gets WBND and the ABC affiliation and Weigel gets WSJV and H&I. The WCWW call sign and CW move from 25.1 to 28.1, while the WSJV call sign and H&I move from 28.1 to 25.1. The diginets on 28 move to 57 and the diginets on 57 move to 28. Everyone gets what they want.

I think over the next several years, broadcasting is going to get very dicey, especially with the move to 3.0. 

With all of the sharing going on, companies like Weigel and Marquee could benefit from being the master licensee, and sub-leasing the spectrum to the owners we know today. 

Unless the FCC intervenes, it could set the tone for even more consolidation, as the companies abandon their spectrum and have only their market share to contend with.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:55 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

Allen Media (as it is now, and as it could be with the Quincy conflicts) is almost a side-by-side competitor to Gray in a number of their markets, going back to the Heartland group started by former Gray CEO Bob Prather. 

Is he still involved in Allen Media, or did that go away in the sale?

Prather is the President/CEO of the broadcasting group.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:11 PM, channel2 said:

Still there, but who owns it and what's it being used for, if anything?

Not sure if they own the property, but it appears that a home builders firm occupy the building.

The FCC public file states the Main Studio of WSJV is in Fort Wayne (the studio of WPTA 21 Alive).

1 hour ago, Samantha said:

The APAs hit the FCC today and there is a previously unreported wrinkle in Rhinelander...

Gray may be selling WAOW and WMOW, but not WYOW. It proposes to keep that for itself as a satellite of WSAW.

Not big surprise! They sold KWES but not KWAB...

I kinda figured they would keep one of the WAOW satellites.

2 hours ago, Samantha said:

The APAs hit the FCC today and there is a previously unreported wrinkle in Rhinelander...

Gray may be selling WAOW and WMOW, but not WYOW. It proposes to keep that for itself as a satellite of WSAW.

The long-lingering WZAW situation will likely mean Fox goes 4.1 while CBS goes 4.2 to solve that long-standing issue since they couldn't get the WFXS transmitter in full-power form in 2015 (though they'd probably keep WZAW-LD and WSAW's existing maps).

47 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

The long-lingering WZAW situation will likely mean Fox goes 4.1 while CBS goes 4.2 to solve that long-standing issue since they couldn't get the WFXS transmitter in full-power form in 2015 (though they'd probably keep WZAW-LD and WSAW's existing maps).

Looking at the coverage maps, I can see that Gray uses WYOW solely as a satellite of WZAW (Fox) as WSAW (CBS) already has a repeater in the Northwoods. The WZAW coverage map accounts for WYOW.

1621763281_2021-02-12(2).thumb.png.d1dadae689ba872be8c055701f9bfa64.png

2021-02-12 (3).png

13 minutes ago, Samantha said:

Looking at where WMOW is, I wonder if it could be moved toward Rhinelander... It seems to partially cover it anyway. Seems to be more the rural areas north of Rhinelander that would lose ABC.

I wonder whether those folks can pick up WBUP or WBKP?

Archived