Where did my Local News Go? News12 Long Island seems to no longer cover it anymore!

Pinevision

Remember that old commercial for Cablevision about News12? https://youtu.be/OL3tr2UqnNg

Now it seems as if we have all lost News12 as they no longer report on any local news anymore. Its all about National Politics and the Pandemic. They missed several stories that were actually covered on WABC and WCBS that took place on Long Island recently such as the vandalism spree in Selden. Altice has cut that place to the bone. I think the end is coming soon. They're now pushing the News12 New York virtual network. They will probably all be merged into that soon. Such a shame what was once an excellent source for local news has turned into a very low budget attempt  at copying CNN or FOX news. Altice doesn't care that this will cost them subscribers. I really wish Fios would have kept their own news network. Now we have nothing except for the broadcast TV stations. Long Island really needs a local TV station. I wish CBS would turn WLNY into a full time local news station for Long Island. Because News12 is no longer local. Although they continue to push "Local Matters" in their promos. Not sure how National Politics is local news...no matter how they try and spin it. 

• 2 weeks later...

For a while, I feel that News 12 is going to become one channel throughout the region and maybe headline inserts by the region.

It is sad that over the last decade, News 12 headlines don’t feature Long Island besides the every five minute weather updates. Everytime I am watching News 12 LI, I feel like I am sitting at an AP Wire station. As a FiOS subscriber, I miss the RNN’s FiOS 1 news with news, sports and less repetitiveness that you see especially on N12LI. 

On 1/25/2021 at 9:39 PM, Pinevision said:

Not sure how National Politics is local news...no matter how they try and spin it. 

Great point! It seems this is a local NYC version of when FOX "News" insisted that they were "Fair and Balanced"-- didn't seem that fair, or even that balanced to me (seemed much too far to the right, IMO).

• 2 months later...

Seems like News12 is taking a different approach with breaking news  coverage.. this morning all regions took the Long Island feed for the shooting at Stop and Shop. This afternoon for the verdict  it seemed they all took the New Jersey feed.. it’ll be interesting to see how this plays out in the future especially with the development of the News 12 New York feed online 

Archived