Did Peter Dunn get CBS to buy WLNY (which has become less profitable under CBS) so that he could get a million-dollar Southampton golf club membership?

Geoffrey

On 1/27/2021 at 6:10 AM, MetroCity said:

Over the years, I’ve interviewed with both of these people. I’ve competed against each of them at different times, and worked with a number of their former employees. 

I interviewed with Friend as well, and while being a white man (I don't know if he knew I was gay) I still got a very weird vibe. That plus the low paying freelance offer made it pretty easy to pass on.

Dunn and Friend are officially fired. Announcement coming tomorrow evening. 

Update: My contact at CBS said there would be a statement today, but it was not termination - turns out CBS is launching another investigation and has retained counsel. An announcement went out to staff this evening. One can only wonder if this will result in action against more than just Dunn & Friend?

4 hours ago, noggi said:

Dunn and Friend are officially fired.

Good. Good f*cking riddance.

Hopefully the stations execs ViacomCBS hire next will pay attention to this scandal and do their jobs right, with the utmost respect to everyone for who and what they are.

17 hours ago, noggi said:

Here's hoping the next hires for the CBS Television Stations unit would be more respectful to any journalist, man or woman, regardless of market.

On 1/28/2021 at 6:12 PM, noggi said:

Update: My contact at CBS said there would be a statement today, but it was not termination - turns out CBS is launching another investigation and has retained counsel. An announcement went out to staff this evening. One can only wonder if this will result in action against more than just Dunn & Friend?

Just wanted to make sure that noggi's correction didn't get lost by being an edit instead of a new comment. 

Here's the announcement of the investigation that was announced yesterday: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-01-29/cbs-hires-outside-law-firm-peter-dunn-racism

If I'm not mistaken, Tim is one of the few good ones in management among the O&Os so hopefully he'll help find the right one to lead this very embattled station. I'm sure there was no love lost between the team at WFOR and the old ND, Liz, who left for KHOU anyways.

As an aside, WFOR isn't discussed at length in the LA Times stories, but...Michele Gillen, anyone? And Tammy Dombeck at KTVT? Seriously, there need to be more exposés of the terrible management running the CBS O&Os because everything's rotten to the core.

Yeah, he's been at KCNC a long time. I get the sense that it's a pretty good place to work as there usually isn't a lot of turnover. It's not the market leader of course, but it's probably more competitive than a lot of the other O&Os.

4 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

The most damning part of that article is that The AG for the state of New York is involved in the investigation into WCBS as well.

The fact that even State AGs are getting involved with it says a lot about how widespread this has gone. (even though it's only New York State's AG so far that's been involved with this)

Scott Jones reported this yesterday: https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/2/3/will-cbs-be-dunn-and-unfriended-on-friday

Word is that KCBS General Manager Jay Howell is trying to find who is leaking information to FTVLive and other media outlets like the LA Times.

Hmm it seems that my hunch was correct about Jay Howell being trash like Dunn & Friend. It definitely seems that when Dunn & Friend are terminated, Howell should be one of the first GM heads to roll as well. And maybe bring someone outside from CBS to be the O&O President. Or if they do promote someone from with-in, it should be either from WBBM's Derek Dalton or KCNC's Walt DeHaven. Hell or give Brien Kennedy the job. He brought up his concerns and got canned unjustifiably.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 3:52 PM, Amra said:

Scott Jones reported this yesterday: https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/2/3/will-cbs-be-dunn-and-unfriended-on-friday

Hmm it seems that my hunch was correct about Jay Howell being trash like Dunn & Friend. It definitely seems that when Dunn & Friend are terminated, Howell should be one of the first GM heads to roll as well. And maybe bring someone outside from CBS to be the O&O President. Or if they do promote someone from with-in, it should be either from WBBM's Derek Dalton or KCNC's Walt DeHaven. Hell or give Brien Kennedy the job. He brought up his concerns and got canned unjustifiably.

I disagree with Walt DeHaven's promotion. I know the insides of KCNC... He's not a good fit.

• 5 months later...

Follow up. CBS has completed its probe

Along with the departure of Dunn & Friend, it has also released KCBS/KCAL GM Jay Howell & WBBM GM Derek Dalton.

CBS executive Wendy McMahon posted this memo:

“After six months of an extremely thorough and exhaustive review of our organization and culture, I am writing to let you know the external investigation into leadership at our Stations has concluded and, as a result, we will be seeking new general managers for our Los Angeles and Chicago stations.”

Archived