NBCSN shutting down at the end of the year

Georgie56

1 hour ago, ehatt493 said:

I can see CBSSN living on for a bit longer because they still have some college rights from G5 conferences, but I think this may be the beginning of the end for those on TV as well, outside of "marquee" teams like Boise State (football, anyway). The issue with that is that CBS wouldn't have anywhere to put them unless they shove them all to whatever they're calling CBS All Access in the future.

Yeah, I could definitely see everything that doesn't fit into network programming or ESPN being shifted over to streaming-only platforms. I could even see FS1 being obsoleted by streaming after some time...

46 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Yeah, I could definitely see everything that doesn't fit into network programming or ESPN being shifted over to streaming-only platforms. I could even see FS1 being obsoleted by streaming after some time...

Which means ESPN may be the last linear general sports network left.

5 minutes ago, lugnuts6 said:

With NBCSN shutting down, I wonder if this means that the reported reboot of G4 MIGHT be a reality?!

They are hiring people for a G4 relaunch, and have already announced at least one on-air talent, and the website mentions a 2021 launch of the network.

IF they intend G4 to be a linear TV network(the website hints they do, but with Comcast pushing digital, and with it being a niche demo, IMO a TV Network will fail), and not an Peacock section, or Digital network... then that may replace NBCSN on Linear television.

16 hours ago, elfuego35 said:

They are hiring people for a G4 relaunch, and have already announced at least one on-air talent, and the website mentions a 2021 launch of the network.

IF they intend G4 to be a linear TV network(the website hints they do, but with Comcast pushing digital, and with it being a niche demo, IMO a TV Network will fail), and not an Peacock section, or Digital network... then that may replace NBCSN on Linear television.

I believe that should the G4 relaunch be on linear, in addition to digital, it'll either be the replacement for NBCSN, or a possible merger between Bravo & E!, who both show similar programming.

On 1/22/2021 at 3:19 PM, dman748 said:

I feel like in a sense that it is the beginning of the end for niche sports channels. However I see this as a new opportunity by moving over to streaming platforms.

In fact (within Comcast's portfolio) I wouldn't be surprised to see the NBC RSNs migrate over to Peacock (with the traditional TV carriage rights being migrated to the NBC O&Os); a trend that I believe will likely start with the NFL moving Thursday Night Football games to streaming only with local stations within the team's footprint simulcasting the games OTA

I think this is going to be a thing that we see throughout this decade, NBCSN shutting down is not the end of it, it's the beginning of what's to come for the niche sports channels.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:48 PM, mrschimpf said:

I see the RSNs sticking around longer though, mainly because there's always some sports organization who will need brokered space broadcast stations can't provide (and there's still RSN networks like Comcast's and Spectrum's that have their major rights until near the 2040s and will keep those networks on until the end). Eventually though the price of league out-of-market sports packages will come down to the point where just bundling in the local team makes more sense than going to an outside RSN.

AXIOS seems to have been paying attention to my analysis about the future of the niche sports channels 

With many major sports contracts set to expire in the next few years, analysts predict that the ultimate collapse of the cable TV model will happen when a tech or streaming company finally is granted rights to stream a major sports franchise.

I put that last part in bold because it emphasis the major league teams which is an indication that the RSN business model is going to eventually collapse (like the niche sports channels and the cable industry in general)

I feel like sooner rather than later were going to see streaming platforms beyond Amazon will start getting involved and even though some of the contracts stretches into the 2030s for some major league teams I am not sure that the cable bundle will even be around in even 5 years. I think there's going to have to be some serious discussions about this among the major league teams and the leagues itself moving forward.

• 9 months later...
2 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

Comcast wouldn’t just give up that channel space after NBCSN goes dark, would they? Could we see the relaunched G4 end up there?

A whole new contract would have to be made just on channel cost alone, so it's unlikely. More likely, you'd see Oxygen or Universal Kids close up to make way for G4 as Oxygen's programming easily pushes to E! or late-night Bravo and UK is basically a live YouTube kid's channel in wireline form right now (carrying all marathons of past shows).

Archived