WXLV to begin local news (produced in San Antonio)

capsgm2002

On 12/18/2019 at 6:58 AM, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

Lol they didn't even need that much, because it was Spectrum News on WXLV. WXLV never really had good luck there, you have 3 powerhouses, and the triad just can't support that many news operations. 

In a bit of a surprise, WXLV is going to re-start a newscast on January 18. I believe this will be produced out of South Bend with local reporters in the Triad. The station has made some headway in the ratings thanks to Dr. Phil and Family Feud, but they'll have a long way to go if they want to compete. WFMY, WXII and WGHP are all very competitive, with WXII leading the pack.

5 minutes ago, capsgm2002 said:

In a bit of a surprise, WXLV is going to re-start a newscast on January 18. I believe this will be produced out of South Bend with local reporters in the Triad. The station has made some headway in the ratings thanks to Dr. Phil and Family Feud, but they'll have a long way to go if they want to compete. WFMY, WXII and WGHP are all very competitive, with WXII leading the pack.

It will be at 11pm, replacing Daily Mail TV. They are also going to take the first hour of The National Desk at 6am before Good Morning America, with WMYV taking the last two hours.

3 hours ago, capsgm2002 said:

Raleigh deserves another news department then Greensboro they're just to small!!!

4 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

It appears that it's going to be produced out of San Antonio.  On the WXLV website, Camilla Rambaldi is listed as the main anchor, and her social media mentions anchoring  both KABB and WXLV.

5 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

A news for a NC Triad station being produced out of friggin San Antonio.

Vintage Sinclair🤦‍♂️

Watch them give up on this in a year and go back to Spectrum with their tail between their legs 🤦‍♂️

Just now, Yankees4life said:

Vintage Sinclair🤦‍♂️

Watch them give up on this in a year and go back to Spectrum with their tail between their legs 🤦‍♂️

I saw the commercials for weeks now, I wonder why they did not go to the local Sinclair stations (WLOS even WSET)? I definitely do not see it lasting too long. But, I did notice their Facebook page introduced Weant and had constant weather updates for a while. 

1 minute ago, Yankees4life said:

Vintage Sinclair🤦‍♂️

Especially against. Hearst, Tegna, AND Nexstar with full Local News Departments. My sister is in Burlington and has the Option of BOTH the Raleigh and Greensboro markets. So she has a choice of Hearst, Tegna, Nexstar (twice), Capitol,  and an ABC O&O. Both cover the edges of the Burlington area.

56 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

Vintage Sinclair🤦‍♂️

I know it gonna be dumpster fire would've been better if they restarted news at WLFL in Raleigh, if they want to at least have a chance in Greensboro 6P.M. and 11 P.M. seven days a week including morning updates during GMA aren't gonna cut it that what happened last time. They ended up cutting the newscast on weekends and the morning updates, then the news department was shut down! They have no chance they are going against 3 900 pound gorilas!!! As the news director said last time in 2005 during second attempt at a news department  when they were doing newscast at 10pm on WMYW and 11 P.M. on WXLV. He said "Our people have done an incredibly professional job," The reality is they were up against three 900-pound gorillas."

3 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Vintage Sinclair🤦‍♂️

They'll do it for as long as it takes  to keep ABC happy (ABC "would like" their affiliates to have local news leading into World News Tonight and out of primetime programming).

I wouldn't be shocked if something similar happened with KDNL (Especially if WSYX has the resources for it since KDNL's master control is there)

The question is, are these going to be live newscasts or pre-taped?

As long as KABB doesn't have a 10pm show (11 in the Triad), it could theoretically be done.

I'm assuming that's KABB's set since WOAI being NBC would clash with any potential WXLV newscasts, and that KABB's set is vastly superior to WOAI.

It does seem like the trend is trying to squeeze out extra newscasts of the news-producing stations, when they don't have their own market to deal with.  Playing the time zone game can theoretically make this work in some places.

I find it really odd that they chose a city as far away as San Antonio to handle the newscasts (or most of them at least) for WXLV.  I wonder why they didn't opt to use a station closer to Greensboro; I can think of so many stations much closer to Greensboro before San Antonio.

They likely picked San Antonio because it’s a rare market where Sinclair has two news-producing stations with separate sets and control rooms. (They’re in the same building tho.) KABB has no late afternoon/early evening newscasts and their late evening news is from 9-10p CT so there’s no conflict with WXLV’s news times, another benefit. I will say I’m surprised they didn’t hire a separate anchor for WXLV (based in San Antonio, of course) although clearly this is being done on the cheap. 

Like I said before my comment before it got deleted the general manager of the last news department at 11pm and 10 pm on WMYV and when the general manager said the reason it was shut he said "Our people have done an incredibly profesional job," "That reality is they were up against three 900-pound gorillas". I expect the same general manager to say the same thing or something similar, I'll give it 2 years, but I wish them luck and maybe they'll work there.

XLV are up against 'FMY, 'GHP, and 'XII... as always. The VHFs are always going on top of the news ratings in The Piedmont while the UHF station is lagging. IMO, if 'XLV can't get good ratings

in their newscasts in less than two years, might as well shut down once again. And if I was ABC, I'd yank the affiliation from 'XLV and return it 'GHP.

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

XLV are up against 'FMY, 'GHP, and 'XII... as always. The VHFs are always going on top of the news ratings in The Piedmont while the UHF station is lagging. IMO, if 'XLV can't get good ratings

in their newscasts in less than two years, might as well shut down once again. And if I was ABC, I'd yank the affiliation from 'XLV and return it 'GHP.

This is my first post in quite a while on this forum. I'll explain why on Discord later.

Anyways, yep. However, I wouldn't go so far as to ABC going back to WGHP because in all honesty, I think WGHP actually likes having FOX in their arsenal. It just means more newscasts for them than when they would've had with ABC.

Besides, I even think WGHP is stronger than WFMY because TEGNA-itis. I know its weird I'm saying that, but I really do think WGHP has taken advantage of WFMY's misfortunes, only because of being a part of TEGNA. However, both still can't contain the gorilla that is WXII and now having WCWG with them in their roster.

With that being said, I still think WGHP is a great fit with FOX and I think FOX really likes WGHP as one of its affiliates. Nexstar should keep things as status quo for the station.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:24 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

Especially against. Hearst, Tegna, AND Nexstar with full Local News Departments. My sister is in Burlington and has the Option of BOTH the Raleigh and Greensboro markets. So she has a choice of Hearst, Tegna, Nexstar (twice), Capitol,  and an ABC O&O. Both cover the edges of the Burlington area.

That's true but don't forget SInclair twice (WLFL/WRDC and WXLV/WMYV). Other than that, your right.

Archived