The Eastern North Carolina Market gets trolled by Trumpies

Gavin

All three eastern North Carolina stations WCTI, WTIN, WNCT got a billboard possibly by Trump supporters and a Paid one calling all the stations serving Greenville, New Bern North Carolina, area AKA Trump Country Fake News. They freakin'  got a paid billboard calling them fake news!!! Posted by a person who a fan of the market and works in it at WITN defended all journalists in the market.9A9282F3-59DF-419A-A35D-97BA2B2D9C1A.thumb.png.9c878e339609f577ff077c32f4c445ba.png

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

All three eastern North Carolina stations WCTI, WTIN, WNCT got a billboard possibly by Trump supporters and a Paid one calling all the stations serving Greenville, New Bern North Carolina, area AKA Trump Country Fake News. They freakin'  got a paid billboard calling them fake news!!! Posted by a person who a fan of the market and works in it at WITN defended all journalists in the market.9A9282F3-59DF-419A-A35D-97BA2B2D9C1A.thumb.png.9c878e339609f577ff077c32f4c445ba.png

Never expected to ever see a billboard like this in my life.

Just now, Newsjunkie24 said:

Never expected to ever see a billboard like this in my life.

Yeah it's sad and disrespectful to all the journalist who put there on line to report the news! This puts them in danger!

I would not be surprised if the buyer (too scared to put your name on the billboard?) turned out to be the disgruntled subject of a story all three stations covered. However, the use of call letters also make me wonder if the buyer is really out-of-market.

We're used to receiving hate mail, hateful phone calls, and this is just a different version of an old tactic. 

7 & 9 brand with their call letters and 12 uses them frequently (their website is just  the calls). 

I don’t live far from this billboard.  I’m embarrassed it’s making its way around the internet and I’m sad for the 20-somethings that make up most of the MMJs here who got their first job out of college and now see this. 

Also, 12 is owned by Sinclair.  Someone didn’t do their research. 

Technically, shouldn't this "entity" who paid for the advertisement have to disclose themselves?  I know if this was a broadcast commercial, that would have to be the case.

Then again, it would pretty much outlaw "teaser" billboards, often used to tease a new product or service....basically removing any semblance of secrecy.

I just hope the billboard company doesn't have a trade with any of the stations, you can bet that could be out the window!  They should have objected to it, but they took their money and may have to suffer the consequences of doing so.

1 hour ago, TheRob said:

I would not be surprised if the buyer (too scared to put your name on the billboard?) turned out to be the disgruntled subject of a story all three stations covered. However, the use of call letters also make me wonder if the buyer is really out-of-market.

We're used to receiving hate mail, hateful phone calls, and this is just a different version of an old tactic. 

https://amp.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article248454550.html?__twitter_impression=true

They found who bought the billboard. 

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Technically, shouldn't this "entity" who paid for the advertisement have to disclose themselves?  I know if this was a broadcast commercial, that would have to be the case.

Then again, it would pretty much outlaw "teaser" billboards, often used to tease a new product or service....basically removing any semblance of secrecy.

I just hope the billboard company doesn't have a trade with any of the stations, you can bet that could be out the window!  They should have objected to it, but they took their money and may have to suffer the consequences of doing so.

WITN has placed ads on it in the past.  It’s an electronic billboard so they would run a 3 day forecast, headline, and even election results on election nights. 

I don’t know how recently they did business with the billboard owner.  Bet they won’t anymore!!

Craft said the billboard was not intended to criticize local journalists. But he said he’s frustrated with how national news is presented on local stations and this is his way of “expressing his displeasure” with the media and its “liberal bias.”

“If local journalists feel like they’re being attacked, I’m sorry,” Craft said.

This is rich. If he's not trying to criticize local journalists, why is he specifically calling out the local stations? If his beef is with the networks, then he should have mentioned the networks. Additionally, he probably has no idea how local news works if he thinks local media entities have any power or resources to really dig in to national politics like the networks do. All local stations do is re-air what comes from the big guys.

Oh, and he's probably not sorry.

Archived