RIP Don Robertson (a.k.a. "The Voice of CBS Sports")

Chris Hadley

Jim Nantz announced several minutes ago during the Bears-Saints NFC wild card game that Don Robertson (legendary CBS Sports promo/billboard announcer, retired 1994) passed away. In addition to his duties for Sports, he also did the "This is CBS" IDs as well as occasional work for CBS News.

Sending his family, friends and colleagues my love and condolences.

17 minutes ago, bmasters1 said:

Here is that announcement:

I was the one who uploaded it because I know this was of interest to those within this community especially those who hold some announcers to high regard, like Nantz. RIP Mr. Robertson + thank you for your presence. 🙏 

4 minutes ago, justin2kx said:

I was the one who uploaded it because I know this was of interest to those within this community especially those who hold some announcers to high regard, like Nantz. RIP Mr. Robertson + thank you for your presence. 🙏 

And thank you for the upload-- when I first heard of Don's passing, and that Jim Nantz announced it, I wanted to hear Jim Nantz announcing it.

2 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

And thank you for the upload-- when I first heard of Don's passing, and that Jim Nantz announced it, I wanted to hear Jim Nantz announcing it.

Yes, thank you! His voice still resonates with me to this day.

There was (is?) a video floating around YouTube with a behind the scenes look at CBS Master Control in the mid-late 80s with Don doing his "This Is CBS" ID, and the person who shot the video had Don do one of his Sports Saturday promos off the cuff, It was awesome! The video also had the late-Gaylord Avery another CBS booth announcer who was mostly known for being the Voice of The Honeymooners and WCBS Channel 2 News until 1989.

Got it! Skip to 1:14 and 2:29 to see Don Robertson in action. Right after that is Gaylord Avery.

6 hours ago, jerseyfla said:

There was (is?) a video floating around YouTube with a behind the scenes look at CBS Master Control in the mid-late 80s with Don doing his "This Is CBS" ID, and the person who shot the video had Don do one of his Sports Saturday promos off the cuff, It was awesome! The video also had the late-Gaylord Avery another CBS booth announcer who was mostly known for being the Voice of The Honeymooners and WCBS Channel 2 News until 1989.

Got it! Skip to 1:14 and 2:29 to see Don Robertson in action. Right after that is Gaylord Avery.

Never saw that before! That must be the control room/studio from which Don Robertson not only did what is featured here (the CBS ID and the Sports Saturday promo demo), but also his billboards on The NFL Today on Sundays, The Prudential College Football Report on Saturdays, et al.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this up-- user Football Forever just put up the Week 16 edition of The NFL Today (Brent Musburger's last regular-season broadcast on CBS), and at the end of the pregame show, there is a rare treat at the 19:10 mark-- an on-camera appearance by the late Don Robertson.

Also, a screencap of that appearance...

donrobertsoncbssportsappearance.jpg

Archived