Is WRAL Premiering a New Look?

ABC 7 Denver

Hmm interesting there current package has been around since 2016!!! Interesting cause I remember that it's was during NC dreaded HB2 controversy in June 2016. I had expected them to switch to a new graphics package, after the switch to NBC earlier that year when it happened on February 29th 2016, the leap to NBC on leap day as WNCN described it cause they got a new look once they switched to CBS!!! But since WRAL during NBC and when they were CBS never really incorporated there network brand into the package and just solely identified as WRAL, I was okay with it! Then they got a new graphics package, but in 2018 around the same time WTVD Updated it graphics package, they got new opening title card that were more graphical and we're less flat and showcased the city of Raleigh, better. But this is a coincidence because WTVD my ABC Owned Station in Raleigh is preparing new graphics a group wide package for all O&O so they might be spying on them!

These may just be spec concepts. The individual who uploaded these is a freelance graphic designer.

And this is me pulling things apart, but I've taken note to the towns listed in the background. Bethesda, Carpenter, and Feltonville are small unincorporated communities that likely wouldn't be recognized. Fayetteville, Chapel Hill, Wilson, and Goldsboro would definitely be in there before those. "Garner" is misspelled in the background; it says "Gamer". It's almost as if the designer looked at Google Maps and gathered up town names with no rhyme or reason.

45 minutes ago, Ntropolis said:

These may just be spec concepts. The individual who uploaded these is a freelance graphic designer.

And this is me pulling things apart, but I've taken note to the towns listed in the background. Bethesda, Carpenter, and Feltonville are small unincorporated communities that likely wouldn't be recognized. Fayetteville, Chapel Hill, Wilson, and Goldsboro would definitely be in there before those. "Garner" is misspelled in the background; it says "Gamer". It's almost as if the designer looked at Google Maps and gathered up town names with no rhyme or reason.

That's what I suspect as well, but I still thought it was pretty decent.

3 hours ago, Ntropolis said:

Granted, it's a very good concept, but it's missing the Channel 5 imagery.

With a few tweaks, this would've been an improvement compared to the opens WRAL currently uses.

17 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

Granted, it's a very good concept, but it's missing the Channel 5 imagery.

With a few tweaks, this would've been an improvement compared to the opens WRAL currently uses.

WRAL hasn't really emphasized the 5 in a while. So, I don't think the average viewer would notice. 
However, I think we see more stations ditching their numerals as OTT becomes more popular.

1 hour ago, who?cares said:

WRAL hasn't really emphasized the 5 in a while. So, I don't think the average viewer would notice. 
However, I think we see more stations ditching their numerals as OTT becomes more popular.

It is true, they haven't but I wish they would a little more. In reality, with OTT, channel numbers AND call letters aren't necessarily a requirement, but more of a branding thing. I like the 5 because it's something of an icon but that's personal preference. I also think the name WRAL News fits them quite well.

5 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

No 5 logo OR the NBC peacock whatsoever. Just the name WRAL NEWS. What gives?

WRAL rarely uses the peacock.  It appears in promos and bumps, never during news.  When it does appear it is just placed beside the big 5, not integrated in any way. 

The news is branded as “WRAL News” but the television station itself still identifies with the 5.

On 1/8/2021 at 6:12 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Found these on Vimeo... I'm wondering if WRAL is premiering a new look. It's alright.

I think they could switch the music to In-Sink V6 if these gfx go live. 

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Ntropolis said:

Turns out these are the new graphics!

Just saw them for the first time this morning. They look cool, but they haven’t changed the Time/temp box and the bottom ticker yet. Also, the first picture below the reply was an epic fail. Ignore the closed captions.

image.jpg

image.jpg

16 hours ago, Ntropolis said:

Turns out these are the new graphics!

For what looks like a hybrid of some of the Avenir font version of Gray L3s with the new opens we saw at the top of the thread; it looks great!

15 hours ago, CumulonimbusCloud said:

Opposite for me. I don't like V5 much. V6 should have been used for the newer graphics that they debuted last week. 

So basically you're feeling is that the composer of V.1-V.5, who also cofounded 615, is not a great composer? You much prefer a composer who typically composes for movies and is doing this as a side-gig for the quick payday.

Archived