NFL on Nickelodeon

CTrey98

With the NFL Playoffs starting soon, I wanted to start a thread on the NFL Wild Card broadcast that will air on Nickelodeon on January 10th. This will be the first time ever that a major sporting event will be broadcast on a kids network. Although Disney XD has aired the Pro Bowl in the past few years, the game broadcast was just a simulcast feed from ABC and ESPN. This game on Nickelodeon will feature an exclusive broadcast targeting a kids audience. Disney and ESPN are going a similar route with their Wild Card game this year with doing an exclusive broadcast on Freeform that will target a Women audience.

Not too long ago, CBS Sports and Nickelodeon dropped the first teaser demonstrating what the broadcast will look like. The graphics will feature the current CBS Sports template with a modified design that will tie more into the Nickelodeon brand. The game broadcast will also feature cartoon animations going on in the background. This isn't guaranteed to look like the final product but it definitely sets the tone to what we can expect. What do you guys think of the broadcast look? Could we see this be permanent in the future?

Nick 5.JPG

Nick 4.JPG

Nick 3.JPG

Nick 2.JPG

Nick 1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, hfiles said:

I liked the part where the F-Bomb was broadcast on a cable channel for children. I'm surprised they didn't air the game on a 7 second delay.

What in the name of Armen Keteyian (of CBS News and Sports)?

On 1/14/2021 at 9:39 AM, GodfreyGR said:

You're not the "Tween" or nostalgic 90's kid demographic they're shooting for then, are you?

I remember it well actually. I grew up watching Nickelodeon between say 95 and 08... so I remember the concept well. I just don’t think an NFL game is a place for kiddy stuff. These are 22 big burly 300 pound men dropping multiple f-bombs per play. Real kid friendly. I remember that from slime time live too... oh... wait...

• 11 months later...

Nickelodeon is back at it for the Cowboys/49ers Wild Card Game... Graphics are the same as last year (modified CBS NFL package) as well as the same "Nick"isms like slime cannons, FG nets replaced by Spongebob, Noah Eagle, Nevaeh Green, and Nate Burleson in the booth. The booth itself looks way more professional, and less makeshift than it was in 2021.

If there is success in viewership/youth interest in the sport (or overgrown 90s kids like myself) in games on Nick, Does this open the door for more sports adapted for kids? ESPN coverage on Disney? NHL on TNT on... Cartoon Network?

Looks like most of the graphics for the Nickelodeon broadcast are still using the old template that CBS Sports last used before Super Bowl LV. Maybe they didn't want last year's designs to go to waste after one season. I wonder if CBS Sports is going to keep it like this for their Nickelodeon broadcasts or actually have these updated to the current CBS Sports design template they use now for next season.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 3.48.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 3.46.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 3.48.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 3.45.56 PM.png

Archived