Sinclair, NPG consolidating some virtual duopolies onto one transmitter

CircleSeven

On 1/13/2021 at 2:17 PM, mvcg66b3r said:

In the article it mentions KPTH in Sioux City IA - that's FOX; CBS is KMEG, owned by Waitt Broadcasting and run by Sinclair. You think Sinclair might move CBS to a KPTH subchannel like it's done in other markets?

It’s happening on February 4 2021

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Since TBD is now on 28.1, I was wondering if this reshuffling might not be a way to force cable companies to carry it via must carry.

And if Fox is going to be on the WSYX signal permanently, then shouldn't it become Fox 6? In Steubenville both NBC and Fox carry the same channel numbers

6 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Since TBD is now on 28.1, I was wondering if this reshuffling might not be a way to force cable companies to carry it via must carry.

Isn't WTTE a retransmission consent station?

1 hour ago, mvcg66b3r said:

Isn't WTTE a retransmission consent station?

Cable companies are going to take Fox any way you give it to them because they have to as a business reality. Cable subscribers will complain if Fox is missing, especially during football season. They don't take all of the sub channels, though. Maybe Sinclair is having trouble getting them to take TBD and putting it on .1 is the way to make them take it. From what I've seen of it, it sucks.

Very likely that the retrans deal covers the main channels, and usually allows for the subchannels to be carried as well (in the triple channel land with the others most times).   So even with the channel shuffle, it's status quo for ABC and FOX, and Tbd if it's part of the deal, no matter where they end up on the dial.

Well, my cable company doesn't air Ion or Laff, both WCMH sub channels. Not sure about Court TV, but they did air 4.2 when they had MeTV. From WSYX/WTTE/WWHO, they carry 6.2 This TV, 6.4 Antenna TV, 53.3 Comet and maybe 28.2 TBD.

But I've got WOW cable and they're not turds to deal with like Spectrum. Spectrum seems to like to fight with stations. I have no idea what channels are on Spectrum, but I figure since I've got some sub channels missing, so must they.

Also, I think they installed a new antennas for WTTE and WSYX (instead of just reusing the old WTTE antenna for WSYX). If they were planning on selling it, I doubt they would have gone through the trouble. Likewise for WRGT.

• 5 months later...

Bump.

Looks like Sinclair is doing more shuffling of its networks this week.

On the displaced slots, 15.1 in Omaha now airs diginet TBD, while the rest are airing diginet Dabl.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Bump.

On the displaced slots, 15.1 in Omaha now airs diginet TBD, while the rest are airing diginet Dabl.

WWMB was the last station that had both the standard CW affiliation with outside CW programming AND the CW+. Do both move to WPDE?

On 9/20/2021 at 12:47 PM, CircleSeven said:

Bump.

In San Antonio, it appears that CW is moving from KMYS 35.1 to WOAI 4.2. 35.1 is apparently airing DABL.

...and still nothing with Deerfield's WPMI/WJTC shacking up with WEAR/WFGX.  I'm sure it will happen in due time.

WJTC is one of the 3.0 stations in the Mobile/Pensacola area, carrying WEAR, WPMI and WJTC, while WFGX is carried on WFNA, along with WKRG and WFNA on the Nexstar 3.0 stick.

WJTC 44.1 is on WPMI's transmitter while their subchannels are on WEAR's.  WFGX houses WFNA's subchannels while WFNA is hosted by WKRG.

Probably the holdup is the NBC deal with Deerfield, Sinclair would likely cut a new deal and move 15.1 to one of their sticks as a subchannel.  WJTC 44.1 should be fair game since they don't have a network affiliation to worry about.

I know it's pure business/the usual Sinclair Sketchiness®, but it's just sad seeing all these stations with long histories becoming nothing but non-competitive subchannel farms.

I get the feeling that WCGV's spectrum sale was a test to see if anyone would dump it as a WVTV subchannel...and nobody did, so SBG went forward and now we're at the point where nobody questions it as long as the cable and satellite transitions aren't screwed up. It also sets up an less wrenching sunset later in the decade if MyNetworkTV falls apart and the netlet syndication market craters.

From a legal standpoint, I have to wonder why it took these stations this long?  Probably riding out any affiliation deals that were a part of their original sale (for the newer stations) and the recent legal troubles likely accelerated the longtime "shells" to shed their programming to the main station as a subchannel.

Had the WPMI/WJTC deal been any later, it would have probably been a Birmingham or Charleston-type situation where full power stations would have been sacrificed (and likely sold for a song to a "related" party).  The aborted purchase of Tribune (and the would-have-been-sham sale of WGN) brough this to a whole new level of scrutiny.

On 1/11/2021 at 7:37 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

These changes may be rooted to a recently passed law by Congress that effectively requires shell companies to disclose their true ownership...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/12/11/anonymous-shell-company-us-ban/

Deerfield/Manhan is probably ok since Stephen Mumblow has no family connections to Sinclair, but the "trust" that owns Cunningham established after the passing of David Smith's mother may be questionable....

The FCC has known the ownership of Cunningham the whole time. We ourselves know of the whole situation because of the ownership reports on file with the FCC. They just haven't done anything about it.

Archived