KPIX getting a new set. Confirmed!

SFTV

Their now-former FX set is about 10 years old now and has aged pretty gracefully IMO. Wonder if they'll get the same design as KCBS/WCBS/WBBM/KOVR et al or something new? KPIX brought up the rear in the last round of CBS O&O set builds, so I figure we should expect the same old BDI set design seen elsewhere.

They had 2 working sets, a weather and traffic center. I doubt they will get a couch set since they rarely had interviews on their newscasts besides satellite interviews (except for their current affairs programming: Bay Area Focus, Mosaic, Black Renaissance) pre COVID. 

not sure how KPIX will design their look. Are they getting a green room like WJZ or the couch set seen on KCBS, WBBM and WCBS?

1 minute ago, SFTV said:

Smaller than KOVR or WFOR? 😅

The building was built in '59. It's about 400' x 400', I think. It's super cramped. The weather center is a retrofitted conference room. The set as enough room for 2 standups, a greenscreen wall and a convertible interview/additional standup area.

@SFTV I remember talking about this in spec and I'm so glad this is really coming true! The big cynic in me still thinks that this is merely some renovations as was originally mentioned in the IG caption, but I'm holding out hope the set can really be modernized.

Also, we're not sure if the ND + head honchos maybe has high hopes (read: new ideas) for KPIX's future, so they could add new features, such as a couch area. I'm very interested to see what will transpire, given that this seems like CBS O&O's biggest infrastructure project during the pandemic (unless I'm forgetting something else).

Should be interesting to see how it turns out. The last one debuted in fall 2011 and was in my opinion a mediocre ripoff of what KYW had. I bet they get a soft area just like many of the other O&Os if only for some grand idea to try to revamp that dreadful morning show. They’ve been doing okay lately in early evenings, especially with the new 7pm show.

5 hours ago, caliwxdude said:

Their now-former FX set is about 10 years old now and has aged pretty gracefully IMO. Wonder if they'll get the same design as KCBS/WCBS/WBBM/KOVR et al or something new? KPIX brought up the rear in the last round of CBS O&O set builds, so I figure we should expect the same old BDI set design seen elsewhere.

The layout of KPIX's set had some similarities to the standardized looks that KCBS/KOVR/WCBS/WBBM/WFOR/WJZ all received from BDI despite it being much older. At the very least, the walls could've been refreshed in addition to replacing the desks rather than just doing a complete tear down and rebuild.

4 hours ago, C Block said:

Should be interesting to see how it turns out. The last one debuted in fall 2011 and was in my opinion a mediocre ripoff of what KYW had. I bet they get a soft area just like many of the other O&Os if only for some grand idea to try to revamp that dreadful morning show. They’ve been doing okay lately in early evenings, especially with the new 7pm show.

KYW has been on the same set since 2007 when they moved into their new building. Since then, it's been refreshed at least twice: First was when the current desk was put in place, and the second was when all of the faux wood was removed and replaced with blue duratrans throughout.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Looks like the set will debut tonight. 

Exactly what I thought so I came to share first impressions here:

image.thumb.png.7cdc491f2759c4132663fd9505ec9431.png

The desk is obviously new and BDI standard (as with the other O&Os that got the new look). But not much else has been shown yet and I feel like they probably didn't do much to "glamify" the place -- the old turquoise blue elements are still there in the very back. And the background screen for the anchor desk doesn't look changed either. 

image.thumb.png.aac0f649e700a0d92e80ab2e5a7dde93.png

I don't remember if there was a big weatherboard, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't. So this looks new. I feel like it could've been bigger but I'll admit I'm spoiled from looking at other sets (e.g. KTRK). 

Overall, it's good enough to modernize KPIX's look and it looks like a soft launch anyways. I don't think we'll get to see much of the rest of the set being used (assuming there are redesigned dedicated "living room" spaces a la KCBS/WCBS/etc.) until the pandemic really recedes. 

They basically got the BDI BOGO deal. Buy a Monitor Wall and get the Desk for free.

It seems and looks like a refresh of the previous set since they kept the frame from the previous look and only updated the duratrans.

the monitor wall on the anchor desk is finally expanded and centered, how it should have been from the start with the old set. It’s now a 5x3 set up instead of the previous 4x3.

They got rid of the second desk but kept the 2x2 wall and using it for stand ups instead. 

The weather center desk is now gone.

They ripped out the working weather center area and replaced it with a 3x9 and no chroma key

still not sure how the traffic center looks like or if that’s where they moved the weather center working area that won’t be shown.

no living room/green room area on the set.

Lighting over Dennis was terrible

Guess it was more of a refresh of the old set - less of the blue more white...which is a lousy background for TV

Looks very clinical but hey at least they avoided the set in a corner look 

24 minutes ago, sfomspphl said:

Lighting over Dennis was terrible

Guess it was more of a refresh of the old set - less of the blue more white...which is a lousy background for TV

Looks very clinical but hey at least they avoided the set in a corner look 

What you call clinical, on TV, is clean and bright with well-defined curves and lines, and color that pops on camera. This is what an updated set should look like. It brings no more attention to the differences in set design elements. It merges old with new, allowing the set to be a supporting character in each newscast, not detracting attention from the story. Sets that have contrasting feature walls, beautiful or not, can be extremely distracting and appear to be from an interior design project.

Watching the 5pm show now and the lighting on Allen Martin's OTS shot is terrible. It's almost as if there's too much white in the background (a curious design decision—this is TV after all) and so they're shading down the cameras to compensate... and then darkening the talent. They're still splitting co-anchors between the studio and CBSN set in the newsroom, so there's a huge disparity between the two shots. Gross.

image.thumb.png.605fdb3521f0c6073daf424a13f317b4.png

Weather area looks a bit better, but needs some balancing (sorry for the bad screen grab, Liz):

image.thumb.png.9c3de3ccc8175d94e9fac78d482ff2b8.png

Editing to add another shot – it's VERY white. Probably the source of the lighting problems.

image.thumb.png.240cd90bec3246f833df4f074f17170b.png

Slightly better from the straight-on camera, but it's still pretty dark.

image.thumb.png.1108b932aac2f7d01567be8cd15b9b01.png

I give them credit for trying to evolve set design into something beyond "video wall and blue," but I get the feeling this will be a short-lived refresh.

Only ones in America who have done this successfully IMO are WPLG and the PBS News Hour.

14 hours ago, caliwxdude said:

Watching the 5pm show now and the lighting on Allen Martin's OTS shot is terrible. It's almost as if there's too much white in the background (a curious design decision—this is TV after all) and so they're shading down the cameras to compensate... and then darkening the talent. They're still splitting co-anchors between the studio and CBSN set in the newsroom, so there's a huge disparity between the two shots. Gross.

image.thumb.png.605fdb3521f0c6073daf424a13f317b4.png

Weather area looks a bit better, but needs some balancing (sorry for the bad screen grab, Liz):

image.thumb.png.9c3de3ccc8175d94e9fac78d482ff2b8.png

Editing to add another shot – it's VERY white. Probably the source of the lighting problems.

image.thumb.png.240cd90bec3246f833df4f074f17170b.png

Slightly better from the straight-on camera, but it's still pretty dark.

image.thumb.png.1108b932aac2f7d01567be8cd15b9b01.png

Good illustrations.

Theres a reason solid white is rarely used as set background on TV. 

They tested all this - I saw sports being done from the anchor shot a couple weekends ago. 

Wonder if the panels can light up to colors and mitigate some of the white balance issue.

But even non white shots look washed out. 

KGO did a great job of looking modern and still being warm and well lit. They had all white chairs but swapped them for darker - wonder if the white was causing balance problems on tight shots.

1 hour ago, JosiahCubed said:

The new duratrans showing parts of the current CBS News look make the set look brighter. Although I do agree with you all on the lighting and camera blocking.

I wonder if that 3D embossed CBS logo on the new duratrans is a reflection of where the O&O graphics look is headed?

Also to keep in mind that Daniel McElroy, the Lightning Director of KCBS that passed away recently, had helped a few of the stations that got the new set with their lights and from what was mentioned, he was helping KPIX with their lights.

• 8 months later...

Archived