KPIX getting a new set. Confirmed!

Their now-former FX set is about 10 years old now and has aged pretty gracefully IMO. Wonder if they'll get the same design as KCBS/WCBS/WBBM/KOVR et al or something new? KPIX brought up the rear in the last round of CBS O&O set builds, so I figure we should expect the same old BDI set design seen elsewhere.

• Like 2

They had 2 working sets, a weather and traffic center. I doubt they will get a couch set since they rarely had interviews on their newscasts besides satellite interviews (except for their current affairs programming: Bay Area Focus, Mosaic, Black Renaissance) pre COVID. 

not sure how KPIX will design their look. Are they getting a green room like WJZ or the couch set seen on KCBS, WBBM and WCBS?

Edited by SFTV
1 minute ago, SFTV said:

Smaller than KOVR or WFOR? 😅

The building was built in '59. It's about 400' x 400', I think. It's super cramped. The weather center is a retrofitted conference room. The set as enough room for 2 standups, a greenscreen wall and a convertible interview/additional standup area.

• Like 1

@SFTV I remember talking about this in spec and I'm so glad this is really coming true! The big cynic in me still thinks that this is merely some renovations as was originally mentioned in the IG caption, but I'm holding out hope the set can really be modernized.

Also, we're not sure if the ND + head honchos maybe has high hopes (read: new ideas) for KPIX's future, so they could add new features, such as a couch area. I'm very interested to see what will transpire, given that this seems like CBS O&O's biggest infrastructure project during the pandemic (unless I'm forgetting something else).

Should be interesting to see how it turns out. The last one debuted in fall 2011 and was in my opinion a mediocre ripoff of what KYW had. I bet they get a soft area just like many of the other O&Os if only for some grand idea to try to revamp that dreadful morning show. They’ve been doing okay lately in early evenings, especially with the new 7pm show.

5 hours ago, caliwxdude said:

Their now-former FX set is about 10 years old now and has aged pretty gracefully IMO. Wonder if they'll get the same design as KCBS/WCBS/WBBM/KOVR et al or something new? KPIX brought up the rear in the last round of CBS O&O set builds, so I figure we should expect the same old BDI set design seen elsewhere.

The layout of KPIX's set had some similarities to the standardized looks that KCBS/KOVR/WCBS/WBBM/WFOR/WJZ all received from BDI despite it being much older. At the very least, the walls could've been refreshed in addition to replacing the desks rather than just doing a complete tear down and rebuild.

4 hours ago, C Block said:

Should be interesting to see how it turns out. The last one debuted in fall 2011 and was in my opinion a mediocre ripoff of what KYW had. I bet they get a soft area just like many of the other O&Os if only for some grand idea to try to revamp that dreadful morning show. They’ve been doing okay lately in early evenings, especially with the new 7pm show.

KYW has been on the same set since 2007 when they moved into their new building. Since then, it's been refreshed at least twice: First was when the current desk was put in place, and the second was when all of the faux wood was removed and replaced with blue duratrans throughout.