KABC Michelle Tuzee leaving the anchor desk

Devin

They're seemingly leaving the door open for her to return in the future, only mentioning her leaving the anchor roles, but social media responses by colleagues point to a permanent exit. While she's obviously entitled to her privacy, especially regarding her health, Marc's delivery certainly made her situation sound complex and serious. All the best to her and her family.

https://abc7.com/society/abc7s-michelle-tuzee-stepping-back-from-anchor-role/8863136/

She really deserves a much more ceremonious departure and I'm sad for her about this (not that I think she was pushed out or anything). I wished she really could've left the desk on happier terms but alas, health is such a tricky thing. Hopefully she can come back as a correspondent before her official retirement and I hope she can for a final goodbye. But I agree that the sentiments being poured make things sound a bit more solemn. Her exit from the desk marks the second health-related departure from a station role at KABC this year. 

1 hour ago, polyiguana said:

Who was the other one?

The other one was Kimi Evans, who was primarily the weekend morning meteorologist. She mysteriously disappeared long ago actually but officially made her exit this past summer. From her Instagram, she would often mention that her doctor advised her that her erratic work schedule was contributing to a worsening recovery so she was likely given something like an ultimatum from her doctor when it came to her job situation.

First post here 🙂

Re the Michelle Tuzee situation, a statement from her was read out yesterday evening that she is “stepping away” to deal with health issues - the statement can also be found on her Instagram (@abc7Michelle). Reading between the lines, it doesn’t look good 😢. I didn’t see the broadcast, but Marc Brown was apparently quite emotional when reading it. 

WPVI in Philly dealt with something similar in the early 2000s. Lisa Thomas-Laury had some serious health issues and had to step away from the anchor desk in 2002. She was on medical leave for almost a year and ended up returning in the fall of 2003. Her health problems returned before the end of the year and she ended up going on medical leave again. Finally in May 2004 the station announced that she would be permanently leaving her anchor chair but not the station. In January 2007 she returned to the station and did reports and special news stories appearing in studio on the noon, 5pm, 6pm, and 11pm, and was a fill-in anchor on all those newscasts. Over the next nine years , she continued to battle her health issues, taking additional leaves, and finally in 2016 decided to retire.

The timing of her initial health diagnosis was also complicated by the fact that her long time 5 PM coanchor changed stations shortly before her diagnosis, leaving the 5 PM in anchor limbo for almost a year and a half. Much of that time, the morning anchor team was pulling double duty anchoring the morning newscast as well as the 5pm, with all the weekend anchors filling-in on the noon.

Archived