New Meredith Graphics

VegasNews

18 hours ago, atlnews2 said:

WGCL open

Not gonna lie. Seeing these graphics used at WGCL is giving me old Atlanta's NewsChannel vibes. 

17 hours ago, MyNewsArchive said:

WALA open (not a bad choice for In-Sync)

I like how WALA implemented this look. However, I have one complaint: WHAT THE BLANK IS UP WITH THAT RANDOM FLYING WHITE BOX DURING THE OPEN?!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

The Meredith graphics looks beautiful. It's got that WOIO (Cleveland) vibe in it. Tegna, are you listening?!

These graphics look like they’re straight from the early 2000s.

Looking like Gray isn’t a good thing. 

Come on, guys. 

11 minutes ago, noggi said:

These graphics look like they’re straight from the early 2000s.

Looking like Gray isn’t a good thing. 

Come on, guys. 

I'm very familiar with these graphics and how they were put together. @TexasTVNewsis 100% correct in the second statement. However, the package is not well defined and built. It's only a few elements, not a completely thought-out package.

9 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

The Meredith graphics looks beautiful. Tegna, are you listening?!

TEGNA, after deploying two successful design languages that TVNT still rags about:  😴

The fact that after 8 years, some of you seemingly can't let go of TEGNA using a lick of today's design language in favour of yet Another Generic Graphics Package™ in the era of the smartphone is quite laughable.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad package, especially compared to some on the market. But as we all saw, it's woefully incomplete, stylistically out-of-date, hilariously out-of-touch, and adds nothing substantive to the previous packages some of the stations already had.

The graphics are good although I do wish they came in more colors than red and blue. Talk about extremely overused. Remember when stations had logos and graphics with purple, gold, teal, etc. Now it's all either bright red or bright blue. Lame.

That's where Tegna gets some credit, actually. I've never had a problem with the graphics so much as the music. I think people associate the two though.

5 minutes ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

The graphics are good although I do wish they came in more colors than red and blue. Talk about extremely overused. Remember when stations had logos and graphics with purple, gold, teal, etc. Now it's all either bright red or bright blue. Lame.

That's where Tegna gets some credit, actually. I've never had a problem with the graphics so much as the music. I think people associate the two though.

Also, the KCTV logo is bad. I wasn't really a fan of the logo they've used the last 20 years or so, but in making something new, they had the opportunity to try for something unique or interesting, but instead did...that. Really unfortunate. It's pretty much along the lines of what Gray and Nexstar do when they change a station's logo.

I'll give a group like Morgan Murphy credit on their redesigns. Some of the logos (WISC) were a miss, others were pretty good (KXLY)...but at least they tried something original. Not just slapping the network logo next to a generic sans-serif channel number. Same for Tegna really. Not everyone is a fan of what they've done with the WXIA and WTSP logos, for instance, but it sure beats going this route. (For the record I actually like the new WTSP 10 logo)

Its a beautiful package the only thing most stations used the red and blue. Like that's not WFSB's color scheme it always been blue. But did take advantage and customized it was FOX 5 Las Vegas KVVU which customized for it red themed style like the old Graphics package.. And they used Live as a beginning stinger. Same thing with WNEW in Saginaw, They did the syndicated look but you can see they opted to customize the color scheme with the Blue & Yellow they had the prior package, WGCL Atlanta could've gone that route!!! And also added the own beginning stinger "Coverage You Can Count On". But Overall its a hit package, I just don't like how some station ART Departments didn't interpreted it for there local needs. 

4 hours ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

I'll give a group like Morgan Murphy credit on their redesigns. Some of the logos (WISC) were a miss, others were pretty good (KXLY)...but at least they tried something original. Not just slapping the network logo next to a generic sans-serif channel number. Same for Tegna really. Not everyone is a fan of what they've done with the WXIA and WTSP logos, for instance, but it sure beats going this route. (For the record I actually like the new WTSP 10 logo)

Matchstic is an actual design firm. It helps. A lot. It's no accident that it's Tegna, the most design-forward station group, that engaged them (first for Atlanta, then for Tampa).

Meanwhile, half of the TV news business is here off on its own getting increasingly out of tune with design trends.

Regarding KCTV 5, I think this new package is a very big improvement for them.  I wish they kept the old logo though.  I was never much of a fan of KCTV's implementation of the WFTV package (even though I like WFTV's package).  KCTV's 2015 gfx pkg was superb; I was disappointed at the time when they decided to switch to WFTV's package.

I must give Meredith credit for commissioning a package that is energetic, current, and bold (in a good way) -- instead of something anemic and lacking.  Kudos to them for that.

Overall, this Meredith package is a nice improvement across the stations so far.

11 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

Not gonna lie. Seeing these graphics used at WGCL is giving me old Atlanta's NewsChannel vibes. 

I like how WALA implemented this look. However, I have one complaint: WHAT THE BLANK IS UP WITH THAT RANDOM FLYING WHITE BOX DURING THE OPEN?!!

Lol @ Random Flying Box. I believe that is a sideview of the "10" from the logo. flying past.  

KPTV has switched to the graphics:

Interestingly, I noticed the WSMV/Meredith package looks basically like a derivative of the previous KPTV/WHNS/WGCL package that Hothaus also developed... to the point where it's a bit hard but also sort of easy at the same time to tell the difference.

22 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

KPTV has switched to the graphics:

Interestingly, I noticed the WSMV/Meredith package looks basically like a derivative of the previous KPTV/WHNS/WGCL package that Hothaus also developed... to the point where it's a bit hard but also sort of easy at the same time to tell the difference.

Well, they are both made by Matt Quinn at Hothaus.

I am still amazed at how fast this package has been rolled out in the span of less than a week. I wonder how this went down behind the scenes.

I know some of their stations haven't received it yet, but damn. And yeah Meredith have less stations, but this puts Sinclair to shame. Remember how it took literally five years for them to roll out their previous disaster of a look?

With KPTV, It looks like they used the "FOX" transitions from the prior package with the new look.  I like it...this simple thing can really differentiate the package and tie it in with their affiliation.  If WGCL did the same thing with the CBS eye transition, it would improve it greatly.

With the old WGCL package, they could amp things up in "Storm Mode" using the reds to hype up the urgency.  Red is just not a good color for TV to use primarily because of it being a "hot" primary color and can appear to be over-saturated if it's used at a high level.  Blue is "cool" and is less "urgent".

Archived